Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: MBP builtin audio hum when basestation connected.

Most Recent

written by: john

Hi 0beron

I sounds like you have some sort of earth loop. The basestations are fully earth isolated to prevent this sort of thing (and believe me that took an epic amount of design and certification time to achieve - they use a heavy industrial grade diode array to achieve this safely) so it seems likely that you've earthed something else to create the loop. I don't know what, but perhaps you should look into your earthing arrangements? Otherwise it's possible your Macbook Pro has problems - the built in audio on Macs has never been very good...

John

written by: 0beron

Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:17:12 +0100 BST

Hi folks, I was playing through my mac book pro's builtin audio jack (my monitor speakers have started sounding terrible - something broken), and I noticed a humming sound which goes away if you disconnect the basestation USB lead - is this to be expected or do I have a problem?

written by: john

Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:35:24 +0100 BST

Hi 0beron

I sounds like you have some sort of earth loop. The basestations are fully earth isolated to prevent this sort of thing (and believe me that took an epic amount of design and certification time to achieve - they use a heavy industrial grade diode array to achieve this safely) so it seems likely that you've earthed something else to create the loop. I don't know what, but perhaps you should look into your earthing arrangements? Otherwise it's possible your Macbook Pro has problems - the built in audio on Macs has never been very good...

John

Please log in to join the discussions