Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Looping cello/clarient

Most Recent

written by: chilliweasel

Well that solves that mystery. Waiting to press the keys fixed the problem, thank you!

Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:11:54 +0100 BST

Ok so I have an issue I'm hoping someone can help with!
When I loop either the clarinet or cello on the pico, the first part of the loop plays back just fine but somewhere toward the end of what I played it just cuts out. I'm sure it's not that I chose too short of a loop duration because there's actually silence before the beginning of the loop restarts. For example, if I arm the cello to record 4 bars and then play 4 bars, the first 3 bars play back and then there's a bar of silence instead of the 4th bar. After that, it comes back in again on time for bar 1.

AU instruments and soundfonts don't have this problem for me. It's just the cello and clarinet.

Any ideas? Seems like a software thing, so I'll let you know that I'm running v1.2.14-stable

Thanks!

written by: geert

Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:17:15 +0100 BST

Hi Chilli,

Can you please try v1.3.26 to see if the problem you report still exists there. We've done a lot of fixes in the 1.3 branch.

Thanks,

Geert

Sun, 17 Jul 2011 22:54:11 +0100 BST

Hey Geert,

No luck there, although 1.3 is definitely awesome so thanks for the tip getting me to download that.

But yeah, the problem persists in 1.3.26 for me. I took a video clip of it happening in case that sheds some light on things (I think it was you I saw on youtube performing Koyaanisqatsi, so here's an attempted nod in your direction!). Here's a link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8213081/pico%20looping%20problem.mov
Sorry for poor audio quality, it was just going through speakers into a laptop microphone.

Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:43:56 +0100 BST

Thanks a lot for the video, we'll have a look at this as soon as possible.

Could you please send a bug report from within EigenD, this will give us access to details that could be helpful.

Take care,

Geert

Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:15:47 +0100 BST

Sure! Could you give me instructions on how to generate and send a bug report in EigenD? Thanks!

Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:40:43 +0100 BST

It's very easy, just launch EigenD, go to the File menu and select 'Report Bug'.

Thanks!

Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:53:26 +0100 BST

Does it need to be done while the error is occurring? Like, should I have a broken cello/clarinet loop playing while I select "Report Bug"?

Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:32:14 +0100 BST

No, you can do it afterwards, the relevant data is saved in a log file on disk while EigenD is running.

Mon, 18 Jul 2011 19:54:52 +0100 BST

Ok, I've sent the bug report :-)

Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:21:48 +0100 BST

Hi,

Sorry that it's taken a while for me to get back to you, we only received your bug report two days ago. You might have shut down your computer before it was done sending it to us.

This has been quite difficult to reproduce, your video actually finally gave it away. It seems you're pressing down on the keys while the recording is armed but without using the breath pipe. The first key press triggers the start of the recording even though the sound only begins when you start blowing. This gives you the impression that the end is cut off while in fact the beginning is silence due to the keys being recorded without a breath pipe or strip controller signal.

Can you please let me know if this was indeed what was happening?

Thanks,

Geert

Wed, 3 Aug 2011 19:51:19 +0100 BST

Well that solves that mystery. Waiting to press the keys fixed the problem, thank you!

Please log in to join the discussions