Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Which pedals work with the base station pro?

Most Recent

written by: john

You want it set to the wiper on the ring if you're using a stereo jack. On the momentary switches it kind of depends what you want to use the resulting signal for, but if you want to use it to trigger Talkers (a common use) then normally open is the best bet.

John

written by: Larryheil

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:17:42 +0100 BST

How do I know what pedals will work with The above? I have 2 on/off type pedals and a M-audio continuous type pedal.Need to know what is safe and what will work and how to tell the difference. one of the off/on pedals is a bespeco vm2-1 with a switch to change where depressing the pedal open the switch or closes the switch.

written by: keyman

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:13:40 +0100 BST

Around this forum there are several posts mention this issue. (using the search)
Leave you with this one

feel free to ask more
keyman

Thu, 23 Jun 2011 00:11:08 +0100 BST

I read all the results from a search "pedal" The only info I found was "some use Yamaha FC3 or Boss FV50". I went to both companies web sites for these units and no info about what they are from an electrical stand point.
I need to know the requirements (electrical) are and how to connect them. Is it trs? or 2 conductor? What is the resistance range for a volume pedal ?How is it to be wired?
Things like that.

Thu, 23 Jun 2011 02:53:12 +0100 BST

I only can report about my setup and experiments... wish I could help more.

SWITCH 1 and 2 are connect to simple on/off pedal ( with a bit of Belcanto you can use them to octave up/down like I have, beside this not really explored yet, i think)

VOLUME PEDAL 1 - TO INPUT on the Base Station - I have the Yamaha FC3 connected as a continuous damper pedal - single TRS jack
(you have to calibrate, for it to work, say with sampler 1 Piano)

VOLUME PEDAL 2 - I've tried several, all worked out ( 2 cables IN - OUT 2 conductors) for volume, pan, etc (again you have to calibrate)

Either pedals 1-2-3-4 (Switch 1/2 and volume pedal 1 and 2) you can extensively configure with the fabulous Routing Matrix - on which Geert was involved!

keyman

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:43:37 +0100 BST

Thankyou. That helps a bit, but I still need to know the "electrical" details. (would not want to hurt circuits in the base station) Are the switch 1, 2 for 2 conductor 1/4" plugs ? (that's what my 2 sustain pedals from a keybd are) If so are these normally open switches or normally closed ? (both are used by different keybd) Is there a way to make these work as a sustain pedal for the factory Piano ? Having a sustain makes a piano much more musical.

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:02:20 +0100 BST

Hi Larry

The volume pedal sockets have a send and return in order to detect the level the pedal it set to. This sends an audio level tone out to the pedal and then measures its level when it returns, so you can use anthing that is a genuine volume pedal. The 'send' is also wired to use the ring as a return, so you can also use the Yamaha FC3 sprung continuous pedal (which Yamaha use as a sustain with their high end digital pianos) which is wired with the send/return on the tip/ring. It detects this automatically when you plug one in The signals are a/c coupled so you should be able to use almost any kind of volume pedal, impedence is not an issue.

The two switch inputs use a 5V DC sense signal and should not be connected to anything active, just noraml passive make/break style pedals, either latching or momentary according to your needs. If you connect them to anything that sources a voltage, you may damage them so don't do this.

The continuous control pedals do get used as a variable damper input for the Factory Piano, you should find this quite effective as it is a genuinely variable dampling, like an acoustic piano.

What pedals are you using?

John

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:35:41 +0100 BST

Hi, Larryhell

Maybe some could jump in help out that "electrical" details.

"...Are the switch 1, 2 for 2 conductor 1/4" plugs ?"... YES

To be honest I made a pedal with real simple switches and made it to suit my need ( it only makes contact when I release the switch pedal ) it was a matter of inverting the cabling, but that inverting polarity could be achieved thru Belcanto also, not 100% sure on THIS..

About using switch pedal 1 or 2 with the factory Piano, sure it's possible (some phrases of Belcanto needed) you will sort or loose the continuous sustain that is possible thru VOLUME PEDAL 1, like a real Acoustic Piano (more then adequate to normal sustaining say, like string sounds.)

video about continuos sustain pedal

keyman

Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:16:10 +0100 BST

One of my pedals is a M-Audio EX-P, It has a 10k ohm pot. across the sleeve and tip, with the wiper of the pot connected to the ring. There is also a switch which changes the pedal to wiper on tip with other parts of pot connected. to sleeve and ring. Which setting would work ?? (wish I had a schematic , it would be so easy)
My 2 momentary switch pedals are 2 conductor 1/4", spst , one is normally open and closes when depressed the other is a Bespeco VM24 and can be either normally open or normally closed. Which is correct?

Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:36:22 +0100 BST

You want it set to the wiper on the ring if you're using a stereo jack. On the momentary switches it kind of depends what you want to use the resulting signal for, but if you want to use it to trigger Talkers (a common use) then normally open is the best bet.

John

Please log in to join the discussions