Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Better sound from Macbook Pro, external speakers or amp/speaker

Most Recent

written by: Larryheil

I bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 audio I/O. This uses the firewire 800 port on my macbook pro. I connect my keyboard amps to the 1 and 2 outputs. Sounds very good. Better than using the headphone out to connect to the keybd amps.
Question-- since the digital sound is being d/a'd at 44k (up to 92k available) is this better quality than the headphone out on the macbook (internal speaker too) ??? Also since this (headphone0 is for headphones and not a true line output is there some loss of audio quality because of a mismatch of electrical specs ??

Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:40:03 +0100 BST

Alpha sounds pretty good with headphones connected to my Macbook but I want room filling sound from it. I have keybd amp/speaker units. What is the best way to connect these to my Macbk?? Am thinking of a Firewire audio I/O connected to my Firewire 800 port. (would be a 400 firewire device) Any known problems running with Eigen D and soundflower?

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 18 Jun 2011 20:36:48 +0100 BST

No, it works fine with SF. You will get a range of opinions on IO devices but, for now, why not just use the built in IO and focus on amplification and speakers.

Metric Halo. Apogee, and MOTU make reasonable IO devices. I've used M-Audio FW410, Yamaha 01x and MOTU 828 Hybrid units. Of those, the MOTU would be my choice but the preamps are a bit noisy (if you care). The Yamaha is powerful, but not supported. The FW410 is ancient and does not survive being put to sleep (the MOTU does).

Honestly, for using just EigenD, the optical output that is built in is fine and, hey, you already have it. I've used this quite a lot from a Mac Pro to a Yamaha Recvr to a pair of Klipshorns... that fills any room.

cheers, m

Sat, 2 Jul 2011 11:55:15 +0100 BST

I bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 audio I/O. This uses the firewire 800 port on my macbook pro. I connect my keyboard amps to the 1 and 2 outputs. Sounds very good. Better than using the headphone out to connect to the keybd amps.
Question-- since the digital sound is being d/a'd at 44k (up to 92k available) is this better quality than the headphone out on the macbook (internal speaker too) ??? Also since this (headphone0 is for headphones and not a true line output is there some loss of audio quality because of a mismatch of electrical specs ??

Please log in to join the discussions