Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Win7 x64

Most Recent

written by: ZaPPZion

I gave it a little thought earlier today as well, because I thought about that exact same problem as well. I don't know if it's even possible, but it would be could if the VST would be able to live in its own 'process' so to speak. That'd mean every 32 bit VST would be assigned 2GB, and every 64 bit could use as much as it would need. But i don't know if that goes against the design principles of VST's.
It could also be an option to have a seperate mini-host that is connected straight to EigenD that just receives all the data from EigenD and sends back the audio. I don't know at all how it would perform, but I think that the ability to host both 32 and 64 bit VST's might be crucial, or at least the ability to have 2GB per VST (32bit) should be tried, since that'd really improve the experience :)

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll look in to the loopback MIDI, I already have the commercial LoopBe, so it shouldn't cause problems :)

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:06:12 +0100 BST

Hi,

I was wondering if the software for windows is prepared to be compiled for 64-bit, because right now I'm clearly hitting the 2GB memory limit in eigend. If I really want to do anything cool, like Omnisphere or nice samples in Kontakt 4, I'm hitting this limit almost all the time when doing it through VST's. I'd have to have another VST host which loads the VST's, but then there's the next problem. I can't see any MIDI controllers in my lists with the Tau configuration.
Plus of course, I'd rather just have 1 program up and running with VST's than having to load multiple programs.
So both a bug report and a request to be able to download an x64 version of EigenD, that'd help me greatly :)

Thanks for the great work you guys are doing already, I love being able to play in Windows 7 ! :)

Greets,
Bart

written by: jim

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:30:40 +0100 BST

I'll look into doing a 64 bit compile. The big problem, of course, is hosting 32 bit VST's. When we first kicked off the
windows process, very few 64 bit VST's existed. (Which is no longer true, of course.)

As to MIDI, at the moment you need a 3rd party MIDI loopback system, like LoopBe. We do have plans to implement
a native MIDI loopback system, but at the moment the timing of that is uncertain.

There is quite a bit of discussion about LoopBe elsewhere on these forums. In summary though, the free LoopBe version can choke with EigenD high data rates, deciding that the high rates are due to a loopback condition. The commercial LoopBe has an option to turn this off.

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:52:16 +0100 BST

I gave it a little thought earlier today as well, because I thought about that exact same problem as well. I don't know if it's even possible, but it would be could if the VST would be able to live in its own 'process' so to speak. That'd mean every 32 bit VST would be assigned 2GB, and every 64 bit could use as much as it would need. But i don't know if that goes against the design principles of VST's.
It could also be an option to have a seperate mini-host that is connected straight to EigenD that just receives all the data from EigenD and sends back the audio. I don't know at all how it would perform, but I think that the ability to host both 32 and 64 bit VST's might be crucial, or at least the ability to have 2GB per VST (32bit) should be tried, since that'd really improve the experience :)

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll look in to the loopback MIDI, I already have the commercial LoopBe, so it shouldn't cause problems :)

Please log in to join the discussions