Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Sounds Designed for Alpha in Alchemy and SampleTank

Most Recent

written by: john

I heard Geert playing an acoustic guitar, picked and strummed, last night at the AES talk and it sounded very good to me (and I'm primarily an acoustic guitarist so I'm reasonably choosy about such things). He was using Orange Tree samples with Kontakt in that new setup he's built using the percussion keys to strum.

John

written by: Squids

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 04:56:53 +0100 BST

Hi, this is Dave from Sonic Reality (SR is a sound development company that has sampled instruments for many of the major hardware and software keyboard and virtual instrument makers).

I finally got an Alpha and I'm still wrapping my head around it and dealing with a few technical issues with a finicky instrument cable and such. But once I have it dialed in I plan on developing some sample-based sounds to respond to it in interesting ways. I am doing this mostly for myself as a performing musician and for fun experimentation. I'm willing to share (or trade) some of these sample creations being done on sample platforms such as Alchemy or SampleTank if you're interested.

A few experiments on my list are guitars and basses sampled chromatically per string. (Especially tap instruments like the Chapman Stick). Those will be nice in SampleTank because of the built-in effects as well (although even better through AmpliTube). Then, the other thing I may do in both SampleTank and Alchemy are human voice instruments. I own the original Miroslav Vitous orchestral and choir archives which have even more articulations than the original library so I may experiment with orchestral performance instruments in either SampleTank and/or Alchemy. Lastly, some exotic world instruments and experimental acoustic/electric stuff. Could take awhile though but if you're particularly interested in any of the above or want to request something I'd be curious to know. Again, I intend to share some of these proprietary Eigenharp-related creations with the community.

Thanks

Dave (aka Squids)

written by: geert

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:50:25 +0100 BST

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about your cable troubles, a new one is going to be shipped to you today.

I'm particularly interested in sounds designed for the Eigenharp, it takes a long time to do this, certainly when one tried to use the expression capabilities to the fullest.

Looking forward to hear what you come up with.

Take care,

Geert

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:05:26 +0100 BST

Thanks Geert! You guys have been great and I think John is a genius. I'm really excited about making the most expressive instrument samples to respond to the Eigenharp. I might also use Kontakt which has some interesting features such as AET (a morphing feature) and of course Alchemy has some interesting possibilities there too. It's going to be fun! Looking forward to a new instrument cable. I got the current one to kind of sort of work but it's not reliable enough to trust. I should probably buy an extra instrument cable just in case because I plan on taking this out on the road later this year. I co-produce and play in a band with Simon Collins (Phil Collins' son) and I also played on Steven Wilson's upcoming solo album and while I didn't use the Eigenharp Alpha on either album I may put something together for live performances. Just need to make sure I have a fully reliable live set up is all... so I'm sure I'll have my share of questions to the community too! I want to master it for my musical needs. But I also want to share and contribute to the community in support of these brilliant instruments. Could be interesting!

Thanks Geert and Neil!

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:17:14 +0100 BST

One thing I am pondering at the moment is whether to make any multisamples with built-in real vibrato or not. On the one hand the natural vibrato is so real and beautiful (and I am used to having that for the keyboard because using the modwheel for vibrato does not compare). But one of the many things that attracted me to the Eigenharp was the ability for each key to perform human controlled vibrato... so I think I will dare to do only instrument samples that have no vibrato. That means though that they won't sound as nice unless the player is good at performing the vibrato on the Eigenharp! But that's the point of this specific development I am talking about. If anyone wanted libraries with the vibrato already in and all sorts of other sounds they can pick up a Sonic Reality lib for SampleTank, Kontakt, Reason etc. today and do it all they want. But to have something designed specific I think leaving out built-in vibrato makes sense. Anyone have an opinion on that? I am talking about sustain instruments such as strings, winds, vocal...

written by: barnone

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:30:33 +0100 BST

Looking forward to what you come up with.

I think it makes sense to leave the vibrato out if the sounds are able to respond to each key individually especially. Sounds much more realistic with player controlling the per note vibrato.

That said, you can do other things with the channel and poly pressure, and especially yaw, like for example choosing a different timbre of sample depending on pressure and yaw. This seems to work well when playing and can offer some amazing range of expression IMO.

Basically this is human controlled vibrato. Reresonation of strings via poly pressure, yaw controlling timbre.

http://www.vimeo.com/24053655

Working with a trombone sound now and the yaw moves through Timbres which I find effective.

Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:44:49 +0100 BST

Thanks Barnone. Great video! What a cool expressive instrument. Makes me want to get a Kyma! I do have a Continuum Fingerboard as well. Between the two controllers there are some amazing possibilities (and a ton of work to learn new instruments but hey... learning to play an instrument has always had its rewards).

Great stuff!

written by: barnone

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 00:53:15 +0100 BST

Thx Cheers

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 01:49:36 +0100 BST

I am in the midst of making my library sound list right now. My angle will mostly be sample-based since that's what I do and I have a large archive to pool from (even larger than we've released in the 15 years of Sonic Reality) and a studio with many of these instruments still. At the moment I'm thinking I am going to leave out vibrato so that can be replayed. I'm going to have separate modulated breath or rosin noise and other elements controlled by the breath pipe. I'm probably going to use the percussion keys for key switching and/or performance effects (like breaths or note off squeaks and slides for a guitar).

What I haven't gotten around to yet is how to make use of each key and what exactly it is able to send midi controller-wise. I only JUST got the Alpha and as Geert mentioned I don't even have a functional instrument cable yet (but I will this week). I still have to watch all of the tutorials and read up.

written by: Foveus

Wed, 15 Jun 2011 03:52:24 +0100 BST

A convincing electric guitar sample designed from the ground up for the Eigenharp would be utterly fantastic. I have Komplete 7 and Orange Tree samples and, to my ears, I haven't been too pleased with any of the guitar sounds thus far .. perhaps I have not dialed it in properly yet but I am yearning for an eigen-guitar that is on par with the factory piano, cello and clarinet.

written by: john

Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:58:41 +0100 BST

I heard Geert playing an acoustic guitar, picked and strummed, last night at the AES talk and it sounded very good to me (and I'm primarily an acoustic guitarist so I'm reasonably choosy about such things). He was using Orange Tree samples with Kontakt in that new setup he's built using the percussion keys to strum.

John

Please log in to join the discussions