Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Loops on Pico

Most Recent

written by: Zygurt

The other option is to use something like Ableton Live and a Launchpad, but things can get very messy very quickly in this direction.

written by: ken@adler.net

Fri, 27 May 2011 05:12:02 +0100 BST

What are the limitations on the track loops that you can create on the Pico?

Specifically, I can't seem to create two separate loops of the same instrument.

For example, lets say that I want to create two piano loops of 4 bars each.

Is this possible?

I can't seem to do it. Maybe I am missing something.

Other than the Video Tutoral #2 , is there written documentation on creating track loops ?

written by: geert

Fri, 27 May 2011 07:09:54 +0100 BST

Hi, yes it's possible, it's called overdub mode.

Due to a lack of keys on the Pico we've had to put it on an extremely unlikely location. Go to the Midi Out Control and at the bottom left (while playing the pico and looking down at it), above scroll key 2, there's a toggle that turns Overdub mode on or off globally.

Alternatively you can use the overdub verb on recorder agents, like this to toggle it:

recorder 3 hey overdub toggle set

or this to set it:
recorder 3 hey overdub set

or this to disable it:
recorder 3 hey overdub un set

Best regards,

Geert

written by: martinthompson

Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:17:05 +0100 BST

Is it a fundamental lack of capability on the Pico that stops you recording multiple loops for the same instrument? I'd really like to do that! Or will I have to save up for a Tau?

Thanks!
Martin

written by: keyman

Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:50:30 +0100 BST

About saving for a TAU or even an Alpha... well, I think Santa is working hard by now. My word is, they are wonderful instruments.
Has you can read from Geert's post above, the only limitations is the physical keys available on Pico, of course you can remove "something" for example the EigenBrowser scroll keys ( keys 9 from course 1 and 9 from course 2) and create a talker with the overdub controls for each sound (Sample 1,2,3 AU1,2 etc..)

EigenD is the same and goes way beyond the instruments themselves .
Not many have them but you can combine say, a Pico and a Tau in the same EigenD setup/ performance event.

Cheers
keyman

Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:59:34 +0100 BST

Hi Martin,

No, it's not a fundamental capability of the Tau or the Alpha, as mentioned in the other thread, there's a global overdub on/off key on the Pico. Configuring per-instrument as on the Tau or Alpha is just a bit tricky on the Pico itself due to the lack of keys. However, using Workbench it's very easy to create a talker for specific recorders and toggle the overdub with it. This talker could then for example be exposed in Stage for easy access.

Best regards,

Geert

Tue, 25 Sep 2012 20:27:48 +0100 BST

Thanks geert, keyman - I'd like to go beyond overdubbing and record multiple loops from the *same instrument* that I can enable and disable separately... Feasible?

Thanks,
Martin

written by: carvingCode

Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:01:27 +0100 BST

Martin - You can do this with the Factory setup, using the 2 AU/VST slots available. Simply assign the same plugin to those slots, along with selecting the same patch on each. Then you can record the same instrument on two loops.

Going beyond this would require creating a new setup.

Randy

Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:27:42 +0100 BST

Hi Martin,

If you enable overdub mode, it means that you can record multiple takes with the same instrument and have them independently accessible through the scheduler.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 00:22:09 +0100 BST

..beyond overdubbing ??

As Geert said, enable overdub mode
- press record and you have one take in the scheduler
- press record again for the same instrument and you'll get a second take independent of the first for the same instrument (so a second green led in the scheduler) and so on!!!

There is ways to go beyond .... the Recorder on EigenD... another story later if you will so..

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:40:07 +0100 BST

Ahhh, I see now. I understood 'overdub' to mean the next loop of the same instrument 'added' to the current loop (like the sound-on-sound mode of my Dad's old reel-to-reel) - not the case.

I shall go and have a play!

Thanks both for setting me on the right path and persevering with me when I wasn't hearing right!

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:38:13 +0100 BST

I hadn't used the 'overdub' function before because I never wanted to overdub.

DAWs call this a 'take'. That's really what is created with this - a new take using the same instrument. I think most musicians would call this a 'take' and not 'overdub'.

This function is misnamed.

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 22:37:47 +0100 BST

@carvingCode
In my interpretation i agree with the term and think you are rushing something to call this "misnamed"... (if John get's to it...!!!...uiiii)

I feel this as a bonus to loop/record something.!

@martinthompson
Glad you got it this time; it's always tricky to put this in writing.

Cheers
keyman

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 03:36:22 +0100 BST

Sorry, Antonio. Overdub alters a track or adds a layer on top. This process creates entirely new, independent takes. It's not overdub.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 21:59:34 +0100 BST

FWIW, I tend to agree with carvingCode - overdubbing definitely has (to me) implications of 'something added to over the top of' rather than 'an additional separate entity'.

However, having (now) read the dictionary definition, both interpretations seem quite feasible :)

written by: Zygurt

Wed, 3 Oct 2012 17:09:02 +0100 BST

The other option is to use something like Ableton Live and a Launchpad, but things can get very messy very quickly in this direction.

Please log in to join the discussions