Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Pico Key Splits

Most Recent

written by: jptreen

It would be a pain, but you could create a soundfont that had a different voice on particular notes and map your scale to the right notes.That would work.

It's the kind of thing that's worthwhile if you've got a specific plan for it but not so handy if you're just jamming...

kgroups on the pico would indeed be nice, though...

written by: jsn

Tue, 24 May 2011 09:48:52 +0100 BST

As if there isn't too few keys on the Pico, I want to create a split so I can have the top 8 keys in one tonic/scale/voice and the bottom 8(or 10) in a different tonic/scale/voice. How do I do this?

I've looked at kgroups but they don't seem to apply to Pico (work fine on my Tau) - and the kmapper is undocumented in the EigenD reference. Can someone give me a pointer?

Do I need to create a second layered kmapper?

(If I do it, I'll share it, of course...)

written by: ken@adler.net

Fri, 27 May 2011 02:46:27 +0100 BST

@jsn....

I was just trying to research how to do this as well. While it is not exactly the same, I was intrigued by the "layering" at 4:13 of this video.. I could not quite make out the sequence of things he was doing, but it did not seem like this was simply having multiple instruments selected and then relying on the speed of hitting the keys to highlight one sound over the other.

Anyone have an idea how what this guy did in the video is accomplished on a Pico ?

written by: geert

Fri, 27 May 2011 06:59:33 +0100 BST

Layering is very easy, just press the mode key and select several instrument outputs at once. This will play all those instruments together.

written by: jsn

Fri, 27 May 2011 07:08:36 +0100 BST

I see what you mean, Ken. Not what I'm talking about but it looks like he's using a long sustain voice layered with the piano sample - possibly he's using the octave shift keys at the bottom to move 'up' beyond the string voice octave to then play the piano sound?

This still means you are in the same scale, though. I want to be able to play two different scales with different voices. So far, I'm having to do custom scales and only use single voices, which is not really what I want.

If I can't split the keyboard, is there a way to restrict the tone range a voice responds to? (i.e. Piano only covers middle-C to top-C) ? Then I could use a custom scale but multi-layered voices?

written by: jptreen

Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:42:15 +0100 BST

It would be a pain, but you could create a soundfont that had a different voice on particular notes and map your scale to the right notes.That would work.

It's the kind of thing that's worthwhile if you've got a specific plan for it but not so handy if you're just jamming...

kgroups on the pico would indeed be nice, though...

Please log in to join the discussions