Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Any spare slots for iPad version of stage?

Most Recent

written by: MarkPowell

I don't think you do have any beta places left John. I asked about 6 months ago and that was certainly the case then. 0beron recommended using VNC as a stop-gap. It works, but not slickly enough to be a substitute for the real thing. I'm not bothered about editing on the iPad (although it'd be handy), but I'd be turning cartwheels around the garden if a read-only iPad app was released.

Cheers,
Mark.

written by: bl4cksun

Mon, 23 May 2011 19:35:52 +0100 BST

Just relented and got an iPad so I ready for the iOS version of stage and so was wondering how far off release this is and if there are any spare beta tester slots left?

Thanks

written by: acemic

Sat, 7 Jan 2012 09:14:18 +0000 GMT

Is stage now available on iPad.?

written by: john

Sat, 7 Jan 2012 10:19:35 +0000 GMT

No not yet. It's on our list for early Feb, as soon as we get 2.0 into a tidy state. It's running fine on IOS (there don't seem to be any significant problems from the beta test programme) but in order to be accepted by Apple into the Appstore it needs some things changed, mainly in the networking behaviour. Shouldn't be too long now, we just haven't had the time due to getting 2.0 out.

I have to say, the whole 'appstore approval process' has made me dislike Apple as a company. I've personally now stopped buying their hardware as a result. Why it is considered OK that you, the owner of your hardware, should be prevented from running any program on that hardware that you want is totally beyond me, and the very slow process of getting Stage onto IOS is a direct result of this. It is Orwellian.

Jim is muttering about an Android port at some point - Jules is getting Juce (the graphics platform we use) ported as we speak, so this is becoming less of a pipe dream. I can't wait, and given the number of very neat, very cheap (Jim got a great one for £60 last week) Android tablets out there I think this'll be quite a useful thing.

John

written by: dhjdhj

Sat, 7 Jan 2012 11:29:49 +0000 GMT

Having been through that pain a few times, I can sympathesise. However, think of it from their perspective. They choose to require a very small population (developers) to adhere to some rules so that a very large population has a seamless experience.

Having bought several Android devices (including the new Kindle Fire) to consider porting our own app, the usability experience (both with the devices themselves and a few apps i bought to reproduce my ipad environment a little) has been such that I wanted to just hit them with a hammer!

The new EigenD 2.x system is looking very interesting, by the way.

written by: snoitan

Thu, 2 Feb 2012 23:36:29 +0000 GMT

John, I felt some frustration at Apple when I first began writing apps for the App Store, but having now dealt with publishing iOS apps and Android Apps, I really appreciate Apple's process and think Google made a major misstep not doing the same. (Amazon seems to be taking Android in the right direction.)

Many developers have avoided the Android platform because their apps are highly pirated and the legitimate sales are extremely low by comparison to the app store.

written by: carvingCode

Fri, 3 Feb 2012 00:45:21 +0000 GMT

Apple has always had a great relationship with its developer community.

written by: Larryheil

Fri, 3 Feb 2012 14:09:12 +0000 GMT

I thought that a few weeks ago Antonio showed me that he was using his iPad for Stage. Is this not supported by Eigen Labs ? So if I get an iPad I will not be able to run Stage with it ? And if I want Stage on a tablet I will need to get and Android one ? I like Stage but on my MacBook Pro (12") i need two hands to make changes to the Stage controls. It looked like with a touch screen I would only have to use one hand, a big improvement.

written by: GoneCaving

Fri, 3 Feb 2012 15:06:23 +0000 GMT

It will be supported by Eigenlabs in due course, but hasn't been accepted by the Apple Store as yet, and so is not available other than to a small number of test users (I think Apple limit this number?). John did mention that they were looking at the effort required to get it to Android as well.

written by: robbydebry

Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:04:15 +0100 BST

Personally i think there are lots of benefits to apple, maybe you could start looking into a way to use cloud to make it easier to share stage tabs and other information over, not just a stage app, but an eigenlabs app. It would be really great to be able to create tabs and edit them or my belcanto at home on the go. :)

written by: keyman

Tue, 28 Aug 2012 04:00:55 +0100 BST

@robbydebry
I think John already address this on this post
http://www.eigenlabs.com/forum/threads/id/981/?page=1#snap_post8470

About creating or editing STAGE tabs this IS absolutely possible, there are some on the wiki here:
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.4/Player_created_tabs/
(strangely the page cannot be user edit anymore.... Can someone at Eigelabs correct this ?!?!)

Just "unlock" STAGE and create/edit at will
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Stage/

written by: robbydebry

Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:24:52 +0100 BST

I edit tabs all the time, it'd be nice to be able to do that away from my laptop/computer tho so it's ready to go right when i get home ya know?

written by: keyman

Tue, 28 Aug 2012 18:24:29 +0100 BST

@robbydebry
OK got it!

written by: john

Tue, 28 Aug 2012 18:59:48 +0100 BST

@robbydebry

We're probably going to have a look at the IOS version of Stage shortly with a view to getting it in the app store. I don't think we have any more beta tester places left but if we have I'll let you know.

Please be aware that the IOS version does not support (and is unlikely to do so in the near future) tab editing, it is read only as far as widgets and layout go. You will still need need a laptop to edit.

John

written by: MarkPowell

Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:46:49 +0100 BST

I don't think you do have any beta places left John. I asked about 6 months ago and that was certainly the case then. 0beron recommended using VNC as a stop-gap. It works, but not slickly enough to be a substitute for the real thing. I'm not bothered about editing on the iPad (although it'd be handy), but I'd be turning cartwheels around the garden if a read-only iPad app was released.

Cheers,
Mark.

Please log in to join the discussions