Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: New VIDEO: Finally KYMA and the Eigenharp using full expressiveness

Most Recent

written by: barnone

Thx geert.

Interestingly, it's the continuous control that I think is wonderfully well suited to the eigenharps keys. A few comments I have gotten back have said that this was the first video where they could actually understand why the eigenharp can play sounds that other controllers cannot.

This sound can be played in multiple modes and fade between modes. It can be played as a normal pluck with attack or as a continous replucking (reresonation of the string) or as bowed type swell sounds (also reresonation).

The key yaw controls Timbre which fades between the pluck and the bowed sounds.

Key pressure controls both velocity as well as reresonation (replucking at Timbre A, bowing at Timbre B) or anywhere in between.

I left pitch bend on because it creates nice subtle detunings which add realism. It also allows the tremelo effects.

I think it's an interesting discuss about what sounds are ideally suited to an Eigenharp or what future sound designs could do using eigenharp capabilities.

What were the characteristics of the sound you had in mind Geert? It would be fun to conceive of new fanciful sounds that were ideally suited to the eigenharp.

Sun, 22 May 2011 17:02:37 +0100 BST

Strings For Rapture

This is a bit of noodling with a KYMA sound designed by Edmund Eagan for the Continuum that I adapted for the Eigenharp.

As you can hear, it has a lot of per note expression. Each key controls, velocity, pitch, timbre (reresonation of the strings), volume. phase, pick sound mix using roll, yaw, pressure, velocity of the keys, each key sending all this information INDEPENDENTLY!

There is a bit of bowed cello added which comes in only when I use the strip controller, everything else is one KYMA sound.

I'd like to extend my appreciation to Geert Bevin for the new MIDI configuration options for EigenD.

written by: geert

Wed, 25 May 2011 08:12:59 +0100 BST

I love how you're controlling the different aspects of the Kyma sound with the keys! When you start using the cello, the mixture of both instruments sound really wonderful.

It would be cool to design Kyma sounds for the Eigenharp though. This one is clearly made for the Continuum in that it has the 'continuous control surface' feel to how it develops over time, that feels a bit out of place. Are thinking of giving the creation of more Eigenharp oriented Kyma sounds a go?

Thanks for figuring this out and posting the video!

Wed, 25 May 2011 21:01:10 +0100 BST

Thx geert.

Interestingly, it's the continuous control that I think is wonderfully well suited to the eigenharps keys. A few comments I have gotten back have said that this was the first video where they could actually understand why the eigenharp can play sounds that other controllers cannot.

This sound can be played in multiple modes and fade between modes. It can be played as a normal pluck with attack or as a continous replucking (reresonation of the string) or as bowed type swell sounds (also reresonation).

The key yaw controls Timbre which fades between the pluck and the bowed sounds.

Key pressure controls both velocity as well as reresonation (replucking at Timbre A, bowing at Timbre B) or anywhere in between.

I left pitch bend on because it creates nice subtle detunings which add realism. It also allows the tremelo effects.

I think it's an interesting discuss about what sounds are ideally suited to an Eigenharp or what future sound designs could do using eigenharp capabilities.

What were the characteristics of the sound you had in mind Geert? It would be fun to conceive of new fanciful sounds that were ideally suited to the eigenharp.

Please log in to join the discussions