Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: *Portable speakers* for Pico that are better than my MacBook Pro built-ins?

Most Recent

written by: ken@adler.net

Thanks fore that pointer, @jsn

Wed, 18 May 2011 18:38:15 +0100 BST

One thing that I like about the Pico is its size. While I drool over the Alpha, I appreciate that with the Pico I am very mobile. I can just pop it into my existing computer bag (messenger bag style) and I am "good to go".

The sound on my MacBook Pro (i7 - 8GB RAM) with headphones on is very nice and rich.

When I play through the speakers, it is also nice...but just doesn't have the richness that really shows off the eigen-sound.

I would love to get a set of small form factor speakers that are USB powered and fit into my computer bag. Obviously, I would only do it if it provided significantly better/louder sound than the MacBook's build in speakers.

The use-case would be for "busking" (small street performance) type situations.

Does anyone have any good experience with a particular product?

TIA

written by: jsn

Fri, 20 May 2011 09:01:39 +0100 BST

I have some Logitech Z305 USB speakers for travelling and they work exceptionally well w/ MacBook Pro. There is sometimes a bit of fiddling to get them recognised but ultimately they always work. Good hotel room filling sound with a decent response (a bit bassy, maybe). Small, neat and contained.

Not sure they'd be powerful enough for busking - may work well in a tube/subway walkway but not out on street IMHO (not that I've tried, or would try!). I have used them in bars for impromptu demos and they're good enough for that.

written by: neil

Fri, 20 May 2011 09:35:26 +0100 BST

I use BassJump by Twelvesouth. It is a bass speaker that compliments the built in laptop speakers and is powered by the USB cable. It works a treat for low volume playing.

Fri, 20 May 2011 21:03:43 +0100 BST

@jsn and @neil thanks for the recommendations. I will check both out

Ken

Fri, 20 May 2011 23:38:51 +0100 BST

BTW I took my Mac & Pico into a store at an airport that had lots of speakers on display to try them. Staff were happy to let me and interested in the Pico. Still has a cool/wow factor that let's you get away with such cheek :-)

Sat, 21 May 2011 00:38:19 +0100 BST

Great idea.... I think I'll take the Pico into our local geek superstore and try out a few before I buy. Guess i got to go to the Apple Store and try out the BassJump that Neil suggests also.

First, I got to get my chops on the Pico so that I don't embarrass myself :-)

Sat, 21 May 2011 08:26:10 +0100 BST

Make sure you know how to "browse audio ports" (see menu 16 in the reference card for the Pico + eigenbrowser). With some USB speakers you need to select them via this mechanism rather than the Mac System Preferences

Tue, 24 May 2011 00:12:33 +0100 BST

Thanks fore that pointer, @jsn

Please log in to join the discussions