Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: one key chords?

Most Recent

written by: 0beron

It's possible at the moment to have multiple keygroups overlaid on one another, by pressing several of the split outputs at once when holding the main mode key. Of course none of the splits in the factory setups have keygroups in the same place as each other so you end up playing a note on one group while prodding the menus on the other.

If you could build a setup that had say three splits, each with identically shaped and positioned keygroups, then you could load the same instrument into each keygroup and then muck around with the scales and course offsets to get chords. For example you could stick with a chromatic scale on C (or for accordion go for a circle of fifths), then set the course offset on the first keygroup to 0, giving the same notes in column 1 and 2. On the second keygroup you could set the starting note to E, and use a course offset of -1 to put the minor third (Eb) on the second column. Start the third keygroup at G and have the course offset be 0 again and you then have a column of major triads, and a column of minor triads.

You can stack up other layers and other chord types by using more keygroups and carefully chosen course offsets.

I haven't got round to this, for two reasons:
- It requires some heavy belcanto to build splits, keygroups, and wire up instruments (although all of these are covered in the seminars on the wiki).
- I can't figure out how to get Kontakt 4's accordion sound to react nicely to breath pressure rather than just velocity.

written by: tefman3d

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:27:50 +0100 BST

Just a thought.....

Do you folks think it's possible to set up an Eigenharp to use single keys in a keygroup/split for different chords? Maybe w/ belcanto or stage?

I know it'd be like an accordion...... please forgive me but it might be easier on us wind players.

Best -Tefman

written by: mikemilton

Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:42:26 +0100 BST

A discussion from about a year ago

I do not think there is a good answer for this yet in the context of EigenD. That said, it would be a welcome addition.

written by: 0beron

Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:43:27 +0100 BST

It's possible at the moment to have multiple keygroups overlaid on one another, by pressing several of the split outputs at once when holding the main mode key. Of course none of the splits in the factory setups have keygroups in the same place as each other so you end up playing a note on one group while prodding the menus on the other.

If you could build a setup that had say three splits, each with identically shaped and positioned keygroups, then you could load the same instrument into each keygroup and then muck around with the scales and course offsets to get chords. For example you could stick with a chromatic scale on C (or for accordion go for a circle of fifths), then set the course offset on the first keygroup to 0, giving the same notes in column 1 and 2. On the second keygroup you could set the starting note to E, and use a course offset of -1 to put the minor third (Eb) on the second column. Start the third keygroup at G and have the course offset be 0 again and you then have a column of major triads, and a column of minor triads.

You can stack up other layers and other chord types by using more keygroups and carefully chosen course offsets.

I haven't got round to this, for two reasons:
- It requires some heavy belcanto to build splits, keygroups, and wire up instruments (although all of these are covered in the seminars on the wiki).
- I can't figure out how to get Kontakt 4's accordion sound to react nicely to breath pressure rather than just velocity.

Please log in to join the discussions