Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Cubase 6 Note Expression and Eigenharp

Most Recent

written by: GoneCaving

OK, well to add to the short list, AudioDamage's Filter Station effect has sidechain support in it's VST3 version.

D

written by: geert

Mon, 11 Apr 2011 06:44:35 +0100 BST

I went to MusikMesse last week and demoed the Eigenharp Alpha on the Steinberg booth with Cubase 6 Note Expression. Here are some videos for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjF9EWtPKf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Fjj8mBOh8

I'll record a tutorial video and screencast soon.

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 02:11:47 +0000 GMT

Geert, et al: I'm looking to replace Reason, which I use in production/composition as it will not act as a VST host. Cubase seems to offer this.

Can I record and playback any VST I may have using Cubase? Obviously I want to use my Eigenharps to play.

TIA

Randy

written by: john

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:36:08 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy

Cubase is pretty much the reference VST host - Steinberg created and defined the standard, so if a VST doesn't work in Cubase there's usually something wrong with the VST. Cubase is actually a very good DAW, lots of professionals use it as their main studio tool. The new Note Expression feature plays nicely with the Eigenharps in editing performance data. Years ago I used it for a while as my main sequencing software and found it very usable.

Getting MIDI and Audio in and out of it from EigenD is a platform dependent issue and is, as far as I'm aware, no different from Reason. Are you planning on running it on MAC or PC?

John

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:19:44 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy,

Cubase will do just fine, but you might also want to take a look at Reaper first. It's free to try with all features (no crippleware), quick to download and not expensive at all to buy a license. If you're on Mac it will also give you access to AUs and not just VSTs, as well as Reaper's own Javascript-based plugin format with hundreds of useful and freely available ones: http://reaper.fm/

Take care,

Geert

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:42:25 +0000 GMT

Right, I did download and am currently testing Reaper. It allows me to make use of the AAS vsti's I play. Reason is firewalled to only work with it's own instruments or audio. I can record the VSTi's as audio in Reason, but then I get little to no editing control. Reason's forums are full of requests for VST hosting support.

I did look at Cubase for exactly the reason John mentioned -- they created the VST framework. It is indeed full featured and would work fine. If I didn't have Reason already I would jump.

I'm going to test Reaper for a time and see if it gives me what I need.

But I will miss Reason's song construction process -- very nice. So, will use it on projects that don't require something from the VSTi's.

Thanks all.

Randy

written by: TomD

Wed, 2 Jan 2013 12:24:50 +0000 GMT

exactly what do you need to do to play live with an eigenharp and vst3 note expression?

i assume the messages can/t be sent over midi, so how does it work?

is there a guide somewhere?

i have cubase and i'm thinking of buying a pico - what else would i need? does it require the eigenD pro software or anything else extra?

Wed, 2 Jan 2013 12:28:36 +0000 GMT

Hi TomD,

There's at this time no way to play VST 3 note expression in real time from the Eigenharp as Cubase doesn't offer a way to transform voice-per-channel MIDI data into VST 3 parameters. It only supports this for recording MIDI and then allows you to remap the recorded information to VST 3 note expression on playback. We've contacted Steinberg about this several times and suggested small improvements that would allow this to become available for live performance. The latest version of Cubase still doesn't offer this though. You might want to contact Steinberg to voice your interest in this so that they can take your request into account for their feature schedule.

Best regards,

Geert

written by: TomD

Wed, 2 Jan 2013 12:48:47 +0000 GMT

Thanks Geert, I asked this on another thread, but what about hosting a VST3 directly in EigenD?

I read somewhere that EigenD is au only, but others have mentioned hosting vsts, so that must have been out of date. Does it support VST3?

As a prospective customer I'm finding it difficult to find out what I will and won't be able to do if I buy one.

Wed, 2 Jan 2013 12:54:41 +0000 GMT

Hi TomD,

EigenD supports VST2 on Mac and Windows and AU on Mac. The main reason why VST3 isn't supported is because the underlying plugin host framework (Juce) doesn't support it either yet. Given the lack of VST3 plugins that actually use note expression (Steinberg seems to have the only ones available), the global uptake of VST3 hosting support is extremely slow in the industry.

Hope this helps,

Geert

written by: GoneCaving

Wed, 2 Jan 2013 13:11:57 +0000 GMT

OK, well to add to the short list, AudioDamage's Filter Station effect has sidechain support in it's VST3 version.

D

Please log in to join the discussions