Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Headphone Out / USB Audio Interface

Most Recent

written by: john

Hi Ben

The Tau headphone output is fixed at 48Khz on the instrument - that is the limit of the D/A converter used, which is fine for monitoring. It actually runs locked to the instrument clock, not the computer and is sample rate converted to keep it linked to the sample rate that you are using with the computer audio, so it will accept input at 96k, it just resamples it to 48K before it goes down the wire. We do not yet support audio inputs to EigenD (which would allow you to route an external sound source to the headphones via the mixer) but it's on the list to do, and near the top of that list as we have a number of requests to support the kind of thing you want to do. You will almost certainly have to use a third party system like Soundflower or Jack to route the audio into EigenD from Cubase (it's hard to make such interfaces pop us as raw audio devices), but quite a few people have been doing this the other way around with success so I don't think that's likely to be a problem for you.

I don't have any kind of ETA for this at the moment, it may or may not make it into 1.4, it rather depends on how well the 2.0 testing goes internally - if we have a lot of work to do after initial tests (which start with musicians this week) then it will impact the list of features that 1.4 includes.

John

written by: benjamind2008

Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:06:41 +0100 BST

With the Tau headphone out, can it work as a soundcard like with Cubase or Reaper?

It would be wonderful if I could simply replace my old soundcard with the Tau's headphone out, as I only use headphones for composing. I think with the Tau's headphone output it would work as a "soundcard" with ASIO/WASAPI support so I could just use a laptop and take it everywhere I go and just use the Tau's audio capabilities without needing anything else to just use headphones.

I was thinking that with the 96kHz D/A converter on the headphone out, would it support 96kHz samplerates in the Cubase or Reaper sequencers? I see that it's only 48kHz which I think is OK but I would want to use 96kHz in my sequencer to maintain optimum fidelity when mixing tracks and instruments. Wouldn't the headphone out driver for Tau just resample the 96kHz from my sequencer to the 48kHz for the headphone out or would it just handle 96kHz as it is? I'm thinking ASIO or WASAPI (both of which work in Windows 7) as these are most often used by sound recording professionals.

As for me, I'd just use the Tau's headphone output as a way to listen to my music as I'm composing it in my sequencer. I use Cubase 4 and SynfirePro (which will hopefully support plugins and audio interfaces soon).

I'd much prefer 96kHz over 48kHz any day of the week.

Any input would be appreciated
Ben

written by: john

Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:09:28 +0100 BST

Hi Ben

The Tau headphone output is fixed at 48Khz on the instrument - that is the limit of the D/A converter used, which is fine for monitoring. It actually runs locked to the instrument clock, not the computer and is sample rate converted to keep it linked to the sample rate that you are using with the computer audio, so it will accept input at 96k, it just resamples it to 48K before it goes down the wire. We do not yet support audio inputs to EigenD (which would allow you to route an external sound source to the headphones via the mixer) but it's on the list to do, and near the top of that list as we have a number of requests to support the kind of thing you want to do. You will almost certainly have to use a third party system like Soundflower or Jack to route the audio into EigenD from Cubase (it's hard to make such interfaces pop us as raw audio devices), but quite a few people have been doing this the other way around with success so I don't think that's likely to be a problem for you.

I don't have any kind of ETA for this at the moment, it may or may not make it into 1.4, it rather depends on how well the 2.0 testing goes internally - if we have a lot of work to do after initial tests (which start with musicians this week) then it will impact the list of features that 1.4 includes.

John

Please log in to join the discussions