Forum

General Discussion: "Wish You Were Here" cover

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

From another thread:

"To change the tonic of the percussion keys say:

"percussion kgroup hey"

"tonic to [ note name ] set"

Replace [ note name ] with the name of the tonic in this format - notea, noteasharp, noteb, notec, notecsharp, etc.

To change the octave of the percussion keys say:

"percussion kgroup hey"

"octave to X set"

You can also say "octave up" or "octave down".

You could also change the scale, for example to put the percussion keys in a major scale you would say:

"percussion kgroup hey"

"scale to major set"

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave "

written by: dhjdhj

Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:45:57 +0000 GMT

Geert, great demo of the Pink Floyd song.

Would you be willing to share the scripts required to configure the Eigenharp that way?

I love the idea of using the bottom keys to "strum" but I still have no idea how to do any configuration like that.

Thanks,
David

written by: geert

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 21:45:32 +0000 GMT

Hi David,

It's not a script, it's really easy to setup if the software instrument supports individual strings being triggered by notes. This is the case of Orange Tree Samples' guitar products. I just use AU 4 and set the percussion keys to that also. By using the right octave for the percussion keys, the notes actually strum the strings of the chords that I'm playing on the main keyboard, no Belcanto setup required.

Hope this helps,

Geert

written by: Tenebrous

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 22:50:00 +0000 GMT

Geert - do you know if Electri6ity supports triggering the strings like that too?

written by: geert

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 23:15:19 +0000 GMT

Yes it does, E6->C7 according to the manual, but I haven't tried it. The nice thing about the Orange Tree engine is that it also changes the speed and intensity based on the velocity.

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:20:35 +0000 GMT

Yeah, but I still don't know how to do things like configure the percussion keys. I'm doing all my processing with Max/MSP feeding into Apple MainStage and a Muse Research Receptor. I need to know how to turn off the internal sounds generated by those percussion keys and have them assigned as MIDI notes on a specifc channel to be sent externally.

geert said:
Hi David,

It's not a script, it's really easy to setup if the software instrument supports individual strings being triggered by notes. This is the case of Orange Tree Samples' guitar products. I just use AU 4 and set the percussion keys to that also. By using the right octave for the percussion keys, the notes actually strum the strings of the chords that I'm playing on the main keyboard, no Belcanto setup required.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:25:07 +0000 GMT

David.... it does not jump out at you from the docs (it is there)

Press the percussion mode key (on the bottom row, beside the key you use to select splits).

The percussion keys will light up allowing you to select MIDI out (the 5th from the top, I think). You can create a widget in stage to select the octave.

m

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:42:23 +0000 GMT

Thanks, Mike.

I have a script that someone at Eigenlabs gave me a long time ago that makes the strings (i.e, columns) be tuned as the top 5 strings of a guitar. I assumed that that script could be extended to configure the percussion keys in the same way. That script gets loaded at startup and I never think about scripts again. If I try to change the percussion mode as you suggest, will those changes be saved with my existing tuning so I don't have to do that change every time I turn on the Eigenharp?

I don't use any of the Eigenharp control features at all --- including stage which I don't really understand.

Instead all MIDI output goes through MaxMSP and I do all configuration (like octave changes) through MaxMSP commands and a control surface. I find that much easier than having to remember eigenharp key command sequences.

I guess this all goes back to my very original request for a mechanism that would let me just detect the raw information from each key (including percussion keys) so I can do all processing outside of EigenD (i.e, with Max)

I was hoping to do a support session with someone from Eigenlab last year to set this up but it never happened unfortunately.

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:11:15 +0000 GMT

yes, if you save your setup, that will be saved as well.

Since you are using mainstage, you can likely assign your functions to use keys in the octave that is set by default.

Have a look at the alpha setup doc, page 9 ("Percussion Keys") for a picture. Note that it is MIDI 2 which is selected. (I think Mainstage listens to all MIDI by default??)

Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:40:33 +0000 GMT

From another thread:

"To change the tonic of the percussion keys say:

"percussion kgroup hey"

"tonic to [ note name ] set"

Replace [ note name ] with the name of the tonic in this format - notea, noteasharp, noteb, notec, notecsharp, etc.

To change the octave of the percussion keys say:

"percussion kgroup hey"

"octave to X set"

You can also say "octave up" or "octave down".

You could also change the scale, for example to put the percussion keys in a major scale you would say:

"percussion kgroup hey"

"scale to major set"

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave "

Please log in to join the discussions