Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Good Grief - Base Station not sealed in shipping package???!!!

Most Recent

written by: john

HI

Could I ask where you bought your Tau? We've been out of stock for a while here at Eigenlabs (we're waiting on a big shipment of parts, particularly the shells, from the far east right now and won't be resuming production until they get here) so this hasn't come directly from us.

Having said that, both the Basestation and it's power supply are packed in their own plastic bags (inside the laptop bag for extra protection) when they leave us. It's not uncommon though to find that the instrument may have been got out and plugged in by someone on its way to you if we didn't ship it direct - a diligent retailer for example might want to check that it works properly before shipping. If this is the case the plastic bags may have been discarded.

I strongly suggest that you contact your shipper to complain. If your unit does turn out to be faulty because it has been allowed to become wet, this will be the shippers liability and you should make them aware of this immediately in order to pursue it with them or the retailer where you bought it. The laptop bag is actually reasonably proof against light rain, so someone has actually left it in the rain for a while if the insides have become damp, which is very, very poor handling by the shipper. As I said, we do package the electronics inside plastic bags normally (though not the documentation,we never ever needed to before and we do try not to use excess packaging with all the pointless waste this generates), but the instrument is not and this also contains sensitive electronics. The goods should never ever become wet during shipping and there are limits to how we can protect against this.

On a more positive note, the Basestation will probably dry out fine if left in a warm airing cupboard for a day or so. Make sure that it is fully dry before you plug it in. And do the same with the 'wall wart' power supply please. And really do contact the shipper to register a complaint - if you have problems later this will establish that it was delivered wet, which may be necessary for you or you retailer to pursue a claim.

I'm sorry you've had this experience - opening that box to get your lovely new instrument out should be a complete pleasure and I hate it when this gets messed up. If we can help you with any problems that arise, please contact us...

John

written by: benjamind2008

Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:26:56 +0000 GMT

I'm here to let you know that I received my Eigenharp Tau, and have noted that in the parcel containing the Base station the manual was quite damp as though it had been affected by moisture at some point.

I'm not bothered by the manual being damp. But what really really shocks me, NO SERIOUSLY, was that the Base station was NOT sealed. There was NO plastic wrap around, and it appears it was just placed inside the black (laptop?) bag.

This is bordering on utterly ridiculous. Here we have a very sensitive electronics based device that was not sealed. I would have thought this was extremely extremely extremely important when transporting electronics goods.

I'm still scratching my forehead. Good grief, this is just unreal. A laptop bag is NOT going to protect an electronics device from moisture. But a plastic seal wrap certainly would.

Let me tell you, I'm not going to sleep well tonight, that's for sure. I hope the damn thing works. I fear moisture got into the unit somehow and possibly damaged it. I'll leave it in a very warm room and see if it evaporates hopefully within a day or so.

written by: john

Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:44:23 +0000 GMT

HI

Could I ask where you bought your Tau? We've been out of stock for a while here at Eigenlabs (we're waiting on a big shipment of parts, particularly the shells, from the far east right now and won't be resuming production until they get here) so this hasn't come directly from us.

Having said that, both the Basestation and it's power supply are packed in their own plastic bags (inside the laptop bag for extra protection) when they leave us. It's not uncommon though to find that the instrument may have been got out and plugged in by someone on its way to you if we didn't ship it direct - a diligent retailer for example might want to check that it works properly before shipping. If this is the case the plastic bags may have been discarded.

I strongly suggest that you contact your shipper to complain. If your unit does turn out to be faulty because it has been allowed to become wet, this will be the shippers liability and you should make them aware of this immediately in order to pursue it with them or the retailer where you bought it. The laptop bag is actually reasonably proof against light rain, so someone has actually left it in the rain for a while if the insides have become damp, which is very, very poor handling by the shipper. As I said, we do package the electronics inside plastic bags normally (though not the documentation,we never ever needed to before and we do try not to use excess packaging with all the pointless waste this generates), but the instrument is not and this also contains sensitive electronics. The goods should never ever become wet during shipping and there are limits to how we can protect against this.

On a more positive note, the Basestation will probably dry out fine if left in a warm airing cupboard for a day or so. Make sure that it is fully dry before you plug it in. And do the same with the 'wall wart' power supply please. And really do contact the shipper to register a complaint - if you have problems later this will establish that it was delivered wet, which may be necessary for you or you retailer to pursue a claim.

I'm sorry you've had this experience - opening that box to get your lovely new instrument out should be a complete pleasure and I hate it when this gets messed up. If we can help you with any problems that arise, please contact us...

John

Please log in to join the discussions