Forum

Software: Windows crashes

Most Recent

written by: Redstar_Dan

Smashing, I look forward to 2.X :)

Cheers for the reply.

written by: effebit

Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:53:36 +0000 GMT

With this version (and the "stable" too to say the truth) the software crashes if I use the looper. It happens after a while, expecially if I use more than one vst and longer loops (>2). I hear clicks in the sound before the crash as when the cpu is overloaded (sometime it really is)

Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:56:56 +0000 GMT

The version is EigenD 1.3.13-unstable

written by: peterthake

Sat, 12 Feb 2011 12:43:06 +0000 GMT

Same problem here. Using Windows 7 64 bit. Eigend hangs when using loops. Version 1.2.14-stable. If it does not hang then playback slows and slurs. Eigend also seems more unstable if any other applications are running, even explorer.

written by: rossman92

Thu, 10 Mar 2011 03:35:43 +0000 GMT

Im experiencing the same thing, EigenD seems to be overloading my CPU. While other software with the same capabilities do not. Also an acquaintance of mine on a macbook has no issue with this problem, even though it has the same specs as my pc. What's up?

written by: davidk

Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:25:32 +0000 GMT

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the feedback and sorry you're having trouble with EigenD. We're looking in to this right now and will get back to you all asap.

Thanks,

Dave

written by: davidk

Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:51:53 +0000 GMT

Hello again,

Just to let you know we are working on this, we really want to get to the bottom of it but we're having some trouble re-producing the problem. Would you be so kind as to supply us with some more info?

When you say loops are you referring to apple loops or recordings? Is it specific to certain VST plugins? Could you let us know which plugins you're using if any.

Also bug reports are a massive help for the software team, so if you experience any problems choose 'Bug Report' from the File menu.

Thanks very much for your help,

Dave

Sun, 24 Apr 2011 07:09:49 +0100 BST

The problem most appears recording and using audio unit, like cello, clarinet and Alchemy. Cracks in the sound appears almost randomly after few minutes and more as the recording goes on

written by: rossman92

Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:22:47 +0100 BST

This is the same problem that I have been having. I still have the video of the problem, but Its too large to email.

written by: jim

Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:55:44 +0100 BST

I have at last been able to reproduce this.
I'll get a fix out as soon as I can.

jim

Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:11:23 +0100 BST

If you want to reproduce some of the bugs just start the drum and record Alchemy with piano and something else, just 2-4 bars, you'll hear scratches in the sound (more notes=more noise).

I uploaded a video on youtube to make it clear. The main problem is that the crash and the noise happen at random time and get more evident as the cpu is loaded. This not means that with a bass+piano+drum the thing is stable!
I made several tries on 2 notebooks and 3 SO (xp sp3, Vista 32, win7 64) and with all the stable and unstable versions of EigenD, the situation is the same, no matter what audio card I use or if I give maximum or minimum priority to EigenD, maximum or minimum latency.
If I compare the cpu load of Mac and Win (of the same notebook just after the installation) it's completely different. Even when the cpu is overloaded the osx version doesn't crash. I've never been able to play/record for more than 7-8 minutes with no crashes, with any eigenD-instrument.

In the description of the video you ca read all I tried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13y3Ntp0i4#t=10s

If you have a stable hardware/software windows configuration to sugget please tell us. If you cannot reproduce the bugs it means that you're able to play with no problems for minutes with a clean sound.

Mon, 23 May 2011 17:41:42 +0100 BST

Hello Jim, any news about other stable/unstable/testing windows release previsions?
In the last unstable, the 1.3.22, I noticed more bugs than the previous, I sent some bug reports about, as I did in the .20 with few results .
Any possibility to let me plan a show with my pico for the next summer?

Thanx

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 07:33:52 +0100 BST

Any news about any next working release? Did you abandon windows users with their bugs? The new experimental and the new driver did not solve any bug

written by: jim

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:57:27 +0100 BST

Sorry about the delay. We are working on outstanding bugs in 1.3 and there will be more releases in due course

written by: jptreen

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:14:00 +0100 BST

Just as a point of reference, it's not all bad-news for us Windows-bunnies...I'm running 1.3.22 testing and it's never crashed whilst I've been looping, or even playing actually. And I've had loops running on 6 or 7 instruments at a time with heavy fx and the like. It's very stable for me. Having said that, I'm running it on a pretty good machine and on my slower, older laptop, the same software is a bit of a crock. YMMV, clearly.

I'm not trying to denigrate everyone's issues. I've been running Eigen D on Windows since the first public beta and I've had my fair share of instability. It's just been my experience that Eigenlabs may move slower than we'd like, but when they do it, they do it right.

Thu, 23 Jun 2011 00:19:26 +0100 BST

If you really have a clean sound, with no scratches you're a lucky man! I collected many stories of windows failures (personally I tried on one laptop and 2 desktops with almost the same results)
Any information about your configuration will be appreciated, I'm looking for the best windows working hardware but till now I had no hints about from any of the windows users I knew (I think you're the first one with a stable EigenD story I know).
With the 1.3.22 (I remember you it's still a "testing" version not a "stable") the stability is a little better but if you play over and over it crashes (for me it's enough opening and closing the Stage, it crashes even without touching anything). The sound gets some scratch here and there. (the same happens with the "experimental" 1.4.1 and the new driver)
About looping there are some bugs to solve, i.e. try recording then stop, play the same instrument and then start the loop again, the recording continues with the loop off. Or try to start recording stopping before the last bar and then start it again, the recorded sound will be pitched and stretched.
Btw I don't think the bugs be the main problem, they will be solved. Playing live, I'm more interested in the reliability of the system and in the clean sound.
About Eigenlabs no problem about, but let me just say that they could not call "stable" the first windows release(!), I trusted and this made me buy the Pico transforming me in a guinea pig ;-)

Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:19:45 +0100 BST

Well, I think my audio is rather clean. Because of this thread, I've just uploaded a youtube vid as an example, (first ever, actually), I think the distortion towards the end is a product of the distortion model I linked to the breath controller. There may also be one or two clicks in there somewhere, but I haven't been bothered by them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVZ-qKFiDiM

I'll dig out my system specifications and post them here if you're still interested after seeing the video...

Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:55:04 +0100 BST

Yes I am interested thanks, the sound seems clean. Is it a notebook or a desktop pc? Are you playing any of the Alchemy instruments?
Thank-you very much

Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:05:46 +0100 BST

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Gaming graphics 1760 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 285GB Free (461GB Total)

(I've got a base score of 5.2 on their 'Windows Experience Index', but processor and RAM are 6.9 and 7.6 respectively). I'm running x64.

I use the onboard sound, a Line 6 UX2 (USB), and an old SB Audigy, running open source drivers. The key element is ASIO4ALL, a tiny little program which allows even the crappiest sound cards to use ASIO and lets you pick the sample buffer, as well as letting me cherry-pick where I want my inputs and outputs to go. For instance, I've got EigenD outputting via the onboard card, one output goes to monitors, the SPDIF to an input of the SB Audigy (hooked up to Audition). The UX2 then carries another feed out from Audition for monitoring. All I really want is for Eigenlabs to set the 'harp up as a ReWire slave, to give me more flexibility.

As should be heard above, the whole thing works pretty well, as for the playing, well I may have had the 'harp a long time but It's only been a couple of weeks since I've gotten down to business with it, huge fun though!

Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:08:58 +0100 BST

Sorry - yes. I am playing 2 Alchemy instruments in that mix, and three sampled instruments. I have a Pod Farm v.2 guitar amp modelling VST for in-line FX on one of the Alchemy instruments too.

The machine is a desktop.

written by: john

Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:24:32 +0100 BST

Hi jptreen

Rewire is unfortuantely a closed and propritary protocol. It's licence is currently cost free to devlopers, but incompatible with the GPL. We consider a propietary solution to this particular problem to inappropriate on a number of levels, and we have no plans to support it.

John

Please log in to join the discussions