Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: O meu primeiro / my first Alpha video

Most Recent

written by: keyman

@sfellner
I'm sorry in the heat of a fast reply, lost something in the way... and it's not always clear or remember each user's profile ( most never really write a profile!)

@nactl
Funny you mention this, cos if you look here (customizing scales) and I did try after the Eigenharp Alpha Competition ( and did put up this video) back then, I hardly knew how to create a custom scale.... so, don't think it's impossible. Can we make the impossible possible? Sometimes yes...

keyman

Thu, 3 Feb 2011 01:38:17 +0000 GMT

J.S. Bach - Prelude in C major

a small whimsy/caprice of mine to praise one year i get to know Eigenlabs (got a Pico) and for the last three month with my Alpha; very simple.

A remarkable thanks to the entire creative team.

keyman

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 3 Feb 2011 13:01:38 +0000 GMT

That was really enjoyable, thanks, m

written by: john

Thu, 3 Feb 2011 12:35:56 +0000 GMT

Hi Keyman

Very nice. Isabel also really enjoyed it - she's the classical pianist here and I think this is the first piece that we've heard by a composer from the common era, nicely done.

Looking forward to your interpretation of Rachmaninoff 3 now....

John

Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:29:41 +0000 GMT

@john and @mikemilton
Thanks for the kind words.

@ John
Part of my training was classical music on the Piano (but it was as a child I discovered and fell in love with music in brass bands)
Now I'm more then in Love with the ALPHA (and everything around it)

John, You have definitely launched the first seed, perhaps one of the most difficult step to achieve (the most expressive electronic instrument ever made), so that in the next 3 months, 3 years 30 years or so, someone can achieve greatness in musical performances.
I think always aim high!

keyman

written by: ZaPPZion

Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:54:23 +0000 GMT

Nice job!
Would love to hear it with a nice harpsichord sound as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Bach wrote it for the harpsichord?
What kind of key layout are you using to play by the way?

Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:32:00 +0000 GMT

Hi, ZaPPZion

Yes I believe so too ( there are stories that claim Bach dislike the sound of the Piano as we know it today)

As I said early it's simple, very simple;
chromatic scale / tonic in C
pedal 1 octave up and pedal 2 octave down
(my idea, so one could play and change octaves and it was something I asked Dave and the Eigenlabs Dev team do come up; supposedly simple in the end; by now it's mention on the "Building Instruments Part Two"" seminar.
There's a lot of different possible fingering positions (don't know on the TAU)

Sure, there are more detailed piano sounds (just used the one that ships with Eigen D) and a nice Harpsichord sound would be even more "authentic performance practice".

I'm even considering dusting off my Moog Multimoog and rival with some Switched-On Bach sounds.....

Here's a strong point and wonderful aspect of the Eigenharp's; we can pull it off just like that !
( I'll have to convince again that poor camera guy and get a better video out ;))

keyman

written by: ZaPPZion

Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:23:19 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the explanation, good to know how people are actually doing stuff.
I'm also playing some Bach music (inventionen) on my Tau using my custom key-layout that features 6 octaves, but I'm still learning how to play, since the layout is quite different from piano, which i still play a lot.

For a harpsichord and piano I found an amazing Audio Unit plugin. It's called Pianoteq. It's not free, but there's a free demo out there that just misses some high and low notes. It's great to play with, it's almost as if you're really playing a piano, the sound is amazingly acurate.

written by: sfellner

Fri, 4 Feb 2011 17:18:56 +0000 GMT

Hi, Keyman
well done! I liked it very much. Now I understand the name: key-man.
Couldn't wait to listen to Bachs Well-Tempered Clavier on an Eigenharp. Playing this is unfortunately out of my reach, so had to wait for one of those fantastic guys like you... thank you.
Stefan

Fri, 4 Feb 2011 17:26:03 +0000 GMT

Hi, Stefan
... out of my reach..??? aim high, like i said before, 2 hands 10 fingers, It's not Rachmaninoff..!! ) (to start with)

Now for real, practice, free mind and believe in yourself.
Let me know if you need some more incentive from me...

keyman

written by: sfellner

Fri, 4 Feb 2011 19:37:26 +0000 GMT

Hi Keyman,
thanks, I will try, but I am not a musician, more the numbers-guy, proportions, tunings, temperaments et cetera.
Feels like some of the wires between brain and fingers need to grow - or should I call them talkers?
Could you play some Rachmaninioff for us in the meantime?
Regards,
Stefan.

written by: natcl

Fri, 4 Feb 2011 19:51:27 +0000 GMT

Did you play the same thing on the pico or is it pretty much impossible due to the lesser number of keys ?

Fri, 4 Feb 2011 22:34:24 +0000 GMT

@sfellner
I'm sorry in the heat of a fast reply, lost something in the way... and it's not always clear or remember each user's profile ( most never really write a profile!)

@nactl
Funny you mention this, cos if you look here (customizing scales) and I did try after the Eigenharp Alpha Competition ( and did put up this video) back then, I hardly knew how to create a custom scale.... so, don't think it's impossible. Can we make the impossible possible? Sometimes yes...

keyman

Please log in to join the discussions