Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Will there ever be a manual?

Most Recent

written by: keyman

I find the seminars of great help and a good offer from Eigenlabs.
Being able to suggest topics and direct questions seems more then adequate, (ok the info is like droplets so what!) and has bin one of the few ways go deeper into Eigen D and the use of Belcanto. I do get a bit sad when there are few questions from the users, even the wildest more general crazy question can help the community ( my questions not always reflect what I'm working on the moment). It seems suddenly we all know everything.
I'm optimistic by nature and like to work with what's real in the present time, ( don´t want to patronize but, Portuguese gave worlds to the world)

About the presentation; think it's just a means to justify the end, no Hollywood production needed.

You can not make an omelet without eggs, and this seems the case, the Quick Reference Guide gets you started and playing ( and even goes beyond that ). I'm glad I can go here, then here, it shows that the info exist!

Even Dave gets tangled sometimes in the setups and what versions allows what to be created and so on...

A bit of patience and wise judgment will tell you that we are in "uncharted territory" not everyone can be an explorer and know how to use a compass.

keyman

written by: BobThDog

Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:00:21 +0000 GMT

I Bought my Pico when they first came out, it still sits unused on a shelf due to me not knowing how to use it.

Every so often I come to this site in the hope of there being a manual, so far I am disappointed every time.

Is there going to be a Manual ever?

Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:42:11 +0000 GMT

Maybe Not then!

written by: aaronw

Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:59:56 +0000 GMT

Hi BobThDog

I am sorry that you find the current level of documentation lacking, John Lambert has been addressing this very issue in another thread which is here

Have you tried working through the video tutorials that came with your Pico? Also there is lots of great information and tips from users in the Wiki and this forum. The community site eigenzone.org is also a great resource.

If you would like more help on getting started always email me on support@eigenlabs.com or call 01392 823000

Kind Regards

Aaron
Customer Support

Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:06:33 +0000 GMT

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply.

I have watched the videos but the info doesn't stick in my mind, the Pico software is complicated and needs a manual.

I will have a look at the other thread.

Thanks

Andy

Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:13:06 +0000 GMT

@BobThDog

...just my 2 cents...

Here get's you started in 2 seconds

Here, in 2 seconds get's you're PICO out of any shelf
and here
and here
and here

About more info ( sort of an even better paper manual) that get's updated and saves some threes ( nothing againt's real manual, doo!)

The Eigenlabs Community and Support Wiki

Lot's of 2 second's needed to go thru all this info, let me know if you need some more help (electronics hate dust...).

keyman

written by: carvingCode

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 01:12:18 +0000 GMT

Yet another call for an appropriate manual for the Eigenharp. Nothing against the community offered info, but it's lacking, as most of the community don't understand the details either.

The "go here, then here, then go back here, then over there" approach to docs is just silly. The 'Justin.Tv' videos are almost useless - way too much rambling and the production quality extremely poor. Often can't even hear what is being said. Don't get me started on the wiki... Who are you guys consulting with?!

As much as I am impressed by the instrument and the concept, I am equally unimpressed (so far) by everything else associated with Eigenlabs.

Randy

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 01:49:42 +0000 GMT

@carvingCode
Don't think my humble help offer is something to joke about, definitely easier to tear down then to elevate.

About the rest... really does not concern me; nor you.

Off to Play and Compose (with the ALPHA and sometime the PICO, off course)

keyman

written by: 0beron

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:48:54 +0000 GMT

I love the seminar videos for their interactive nature, but that only works the first time round. They don't work well as a format for reference and tutorial material.

There seems to be a general trend online to presenting 'tutorials' as videos, due to the prevalence of cheap video phones and youtube etc. I've many a time struggled with a topic and found nothing but terrible webcam tutorials of some teenager telling you nothing you don't already know. The fact is a well written tutorial with illustrative images, index etc takes time and attention to detail to create and keep up to date.

@keyman
Thanks for posting those links, but I don't think carvingCode was attacking your offer of help, just complaining that the information is scattered in lots of places, and far from complete.

written by: davidk

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:47:44 +0000 GMT

Hi CarvingCode,

We always try to build the seminar subjects around topics users have requested, so I hope they are useful to some people.

I do realise our presenting may not be that great, but we are trying to improve as we go and we are actively trying to make the seminars more concise, this has been a learning experience for us as well. Some of the topics are fairly complicated so it can take time to explain.

The seminars are broadcast live over the internet and the flash encoder automatically adjusts the video and sound quality based on our internet connection. Sorry the sound is sometimes inaudible for you, we do sound check before we start and we ask the audience to let us know if at any point they notice a problem.

If you have any suggestions on how we can improve the seminars please do let us know. If you want help with anything specific email support@eigenlabs.com, or if you want an immediate answer call 01392 823000 and either Aaron, Finlay or myself would be more than happy to speak to you.

Cheers,

Dave

written by: GoneCaving

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:00:28 +0000 GMT

Me, I l think the seminars aren't that bad. Sure the content can be complicated, but I think I'm getting a better understanding from this than from just the wiki pages.

Two suggestions: the sound quality needs to be better, the level is really low, and it's hard to hear. Secondly, a transcript of the belcanto in wiki would help (can you get the Eigencommander to dump a log of the belcanto? If not I suggest that feature would be worth adding.)

Dunc

Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:28:50 +0000 GMT

I find the seminars of great help and a good offer from Eigenlabs.
Being able to suggest topics and direct questions seems more then adequate, (ok the info is like droplets so what!) and has bin one of the few ways go deeper into Eigen D and the use of Belcanto. I do get a bit sad when there are few questions from the users, even the wildest more general crazy question can help the community ( my questions not always reflect what I'm working on the moment). It seems suddenly we all know everything.
I'm optimistic by nature and like to work with what's real in the present time, ( don´t want to patronize but, Portuguese gave worlds to the world)

About the presentation; think it's just a means to justify the end, no Hollywood production needed.

You can not make an omelet without eggs, and this seems the case, the Quick Reference Guide gets you started and playing ( and even goes beyond that ). I'm glad I can go here, then here, it shows that the info exist!

Even Dave gets tangled sometimes in the setups and what versions allows what to be created and so on...

A bit of patience and wise judgment will tell you that we are in "uncharted territory" not everyone can be an explorer and know how to use a compass.

keyman

Please log in to join the discussions