Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: About those scroll keys again...

Most Recent

written by: music-aems

thank you so much keyman, i can't believe i never noticed that it was like that!

cheers dude.

written by: dannyf

Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:40:35 +0000 GMT

Hi! I just bought a Pico in a walk-in store... I hope I'm not the only one who does that sort of thing ;-)

Anyway, I found several older threads about the scroll keys. None of them really answered the simple question if they can be configured to work like the other 16 keys now (some of the original questions about this were from 2009 and got vague "in the future..."-like answers, but nothing definitive). I'm not interested right now in complex models that allow me to play microtonally over 500 octaves, but these keys do feel like a dead weight if you don't need to control everything from the instrument. Just playing the next note in the scale would be perfect.

written by: bl4cksun

Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:08:44 +0000 GMT

Short answer... nope they are scroll keys atm nothing else...

long answer...its possible to reconfigure the pico to change what every key does, but today that requires a pretty deep understanding of the underlying language, Belcanto. In the future there are plans to release something called the Workbench which will provide an easy way for us all to configure the instrument how we like. So for now I would stick with the short answer!

If you look in the wiki section of the website there are sections for eigend and belcanto, or watch the seminar videos in the seminar section. They do explain how to remap keys but its pretty heavy going.

Fri, 7 Jan 2011 15:08:09 +0000 GMT

bl4cksun said:
If you look in the wiki section of the website there are sections for eigend and belcanto, or watch the seminar videos in the seminar section. They do explain how to remap keys but its pretty heavy going.

Ok, thanks, that actually pointed me in the right direction. I now have them playing notes. Now all I need to know is how to turn them off as scroll keys. I haven't found this documented anywhere. The videos almost exclusively use the Alpha and the Tau and on those, there's of course no need to do anything similar.

Of course, I can just close the browser, then it's not an issue.

written by: scm698

Fri, 7 Jan 2011 23:50:28 +0000 GMT

Try the following in the EigenCommander with the browser open:

all join
eigenbrowser vertical nudger 1 un connect
eigenbrowser tapper 1 un connect
eigenbrowser vertical nudger 2 un connect

Hope this helps.

written by: keyman

Sat, 8 Jan 2011 00:20:01 +0000 GMT

@ scm698
I take my hate off, on this one!! ( not that I don't find useful the scroll keys)

Very nice reading the Belcanto words; about "tapper".

off to "k choose" on those new keys...

keyman

Mon, 10 Jan 2011 03:26:42 +0000 GMT

@dannyf

I most be missing something, how did you achieve "I now have them playing notes." (the scroll keys)

No comments on scm698 discovery ??

keyman

Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:12:45 +0000 GMT

@scm698 thanks, that's perfect!

@keyman I re-configured kgroup 1 in the same order as before (found by experimentation) but adding the two last keys, and kmapper 2 just like the scripts that come with the software but adding two keys.

Here's a complete script that seems to work for me, sorry for the bad form with all the individual hey lines, I just copy-pasted what I tried out in commander.

description
Use all 18 keys.

script
kgroup 1 hey clear
kgroup 1 hey k 1 add
kgroup 1 hey k 2 add
kgroup 1 hey k 3 add
kgroup 1 hey k 4 add
kgroup 1 hey k 10 add
kgroup 1 hey k 11 add
kgroup 1 hey k 12 add
kgroup 1 hey k 13 add
kgroup 1 hey k 5 add
kgroup 1 hey k 6 add
kgroup 1 hey k 7 add
kgroup 1 hey k 8 add
kgroup 1 hey k 14 add
kgroup 1 hey k 15 add
kgroup 1 hey k 16 add
kgroup 1 hey k 17 add
kgroup 1 hey k 9 add
kgroup 1 hey k 18 add

kmapper 2 hey clear
kmapper 2 hey k 1 add
kmapper 2 hey k 2 add
kmapper 2 hey k 3 add
kmapper 2 hey k 4 add
kmapper 2 hey k 5 add
kmapper 2 hey k 6 add
kmapper 2 hey k 7 add
kmapper 2 hey k 8 add
kmapper 2 hey k 9 add
kmapper 2 hey k 10 add
kmapper 2 hey k 11 add
kmapper 2 hey k 12 add
kmapper 2 hey k 13 add
kmapper 2 hey k 14 add
kmapper 2 hey k 15 add
kmapper 2 hey k 16 add
kmapper 2 hey k 17 add
kmapper 2 hey k 18 add

all join

This configures a layout like the standard layout with groups of four keys, plus the two last ones. The other layout scripts that come with the software don't work because they don't include the two last keys, but it's straight forward to fix them, just add keys 17 and 18 to them.

Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:34:28 +0000 GMT

@dannyf
Thanks for sharing...!! (sometimes the solution is under our nose...)

I have to experiment a bit more... as Kmapper is a bit dangerous I think...but it works, sure those.

About using "hey" in each phrase, you can do it with "listen"
(with "listen" each agent stays in the conversation, till "empty join")
Like this:

empty join
kgroup 1 listen
clear
k 1 add
k 2 add
and so on...

keyman

written by: bl4cksun

Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:34:44 +0000 GMT

can this be be stickied

written by: Bjoern

Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:49:59 +0000 GMT

Hello,

when you use this script (and I guess scripts like it), it also alters the way you e.g. select instruments using the mode key. It seems that the instruments aren't tied to a particular key, but to a particular note, or position in a key group perhaps.

Is there a different way of doing this, so that the functions accessible through the mode key aren't affected?

Thanks,
Bjoern

written by: jaself

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:18:36 +0000 GMT

I think the script above from @dannyf does preserve the mapping of mode keys by adding keys to the kgroup in the original 4x4 grouping then k 9 and k 18 at the end.

Here is (I believe) an equivalent script shortened (by the use of key ranges) from one I received from @keyman. Although it gives you 18 playing keys, the scale position of notes played by the last two keys is peculiar. If you add keys to the kgroup sequentially (k 1 to k 18 add) playability is improved but mode keys get repositioned.

description
All playing keys - from Antonio
script
empty join
kgroup 1 listen
clear
k 1 to k 4 add
k 10 to k 13 add
k 5 to k 8 add
k 14 to k 17 add
k 9 add
k 18 add

empty join
kmapper 2 listen
clear
k 1 to k 18 add

all join

Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:06:47 +0100 BST

hey guys, i've been trying to do this to some of my new setups but its not working. i have workbench now and it doesn't look like the factory setup of 2.0.68 actually has an eigenbrowser agent. i can add the extra keys to the keygroup no problem, but if theres no eigenbrowser agent, what do i un connect from what?

Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:32:54 +0100 BST

Eigenbrowser agent will show itself if... you run the Eigenbrowser! along with Workbench...
(similar if you unplug any of the instruments Alpha, Tau or Pico that agend will appear/disappear)

So, run Eigenbrowser and Eigencommander to un connect those "wires" with Workbench ( you can do it Belcanto also)

keyman

Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:39:34 +0100 BST

thank you so much keyman, i can't believe i never noticed that it was like that!

cheers dude.

Please log in to join the discussions