Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Using breath as mod wheel for the Alpha

Most Recent

written by: prstorms

Thanks, John,

I like the idea of broadening the flat area... how do I do that in Belcanto/Stage?

Regards,
Pat

Mon, 27 Dec 2010 09:22:56 +0000 GMT

The sensitivity of the keys on my alpha makes it really hard to nail a note squarely in tune... if I'm off by a millimeter I'm out of tune. I've been using the pitch bend of the keys to produce vibrato, but I'd like to experiment with turning off the pitch bend and using wind to drive a mod wheel function (which I can use to produce vibrato). I'm using Gofriller cello via Kontakt 4, and while I can assign the mod wheel function to breath (via CC controls), it doesn't quite work. Has anyone else assigned breath to control a mod wheel function? How'd you go about doing it?

Many thanks!
Pat

written by: bl4cksun

Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:21:58 +0000 GMT

I would guess that by default the mod wheel is centered around the middle value but the breath's default is 0. If you use the latest unstable release you can configure these settings very easily. Alternatively you would have to use some belcanto scripts.
Check out the midi routing section in the wiki, Midi Routing Matrix

written by: john

Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:49:34 +0000 GMT

Hi Pat

You can also change the default natural pitchbend range of the keys as well as the way this scales as you move the key from its center position. It's possible to vary how flat the center region of this is to make it easier to play in tune but still give you a full pitchbend range on the outside extremities. This control is available in Belcanto or more easily in the new 1.3 series in Stage - you can see an example of this in use in the control tabs for the native 'Cello for example (only oresnt for the Pico 1 factory setup at present, but shortly to be available for the Alpha setups as well). Between these two values and the MIDI scaling possible in the new routing matrix also present in 1.3 you have about as much control over this as it's possible to get.

I seem to remember that you're not so keen on running the more experimental 'Unstable' branch (which I can understand, it's not named 'Unstable' for nothing). We're hoping to get the 1.3 series into 'Testing' in the next couple of weeks and for it to be the new 'Stable' in early Feb, so you won't have to wait long for these features.

On a different nore, you might be interested to know that Dave is now playing his Alpha with an octave of pitchbend range set by default on the key roll. I found this astonishing to discover as it seemed impossible to me a year ago that anyone could get accurate enough to play with it set that wide, but Dave now plays well with it like that and he swears by the huge pitch expression it gives him. Practice does seem to get one there in the end, you might want to keep at it a bit longer before turning the range down. I'd play around with the pitchbend curve first I think, the only real impact this has is changing the vibrato characteristic (which is interesting in itself), making it more or less linear as you change curve...

John

Tue, 28 Dec 2010 15:28:55 +0000 GMT

Thanks, John,

I like the idea of broadening the flat area... how do I do that in Belcanto/Stage?

Regards,
Pat

Please log in to join the discussions