Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: New MIDI routing tool

Most Recent

written by: geert

Hi 0beron,

Just wanted to tell you that I tracked down the problem and that it will be fixed for the next release. Basically, you had to be able to set the low bound range to 100% independently of where the base offset is located. So I changed the GUI to have totally independent dials for all three values. From my testing this should give you all the control you need and behave the same by default as what you were used to in the 1.2 release.

Best regards,

Geert

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 01:04:22 +0000 GMT

"I meant to respond to this one ---- with systems like MainStage, layering is handled extremely well even if you only send stuff on a single channel. You can even do splits with a single channel as well.....it's very rare that you actually need multiple channels with these environments."

This may be, but just as some wish to use systems like mainstage, some do not. I'm really enjoying building on and around eigend. Yes, I have Logic Studio and have used it for years (since emagic days actually) but I'd like to head in another direction and not need to rely on mainstage and it's ilk.

To be really clear, I'm not arguing against your direction at all. I am suggesting that it is not the only direction and that saying it can be done in mainstage is not a good reason to limit what can be done elsewise. (and vice versa BTW)

m

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:39:28 +0000 GMT

This is exactly why we created the MIDI poly mode and it works great with certain synths. I'm personally using Kontakt, Omnisphere, Reaktor and Synplant in the way you describe ... the same instrument on different channels. Some CCs I want to be sent to all channels since I want it to be a global control (like a filter), other CCs I want to be sent individual channels (like per-channel volume).

@david, we're taking your suggestions into account, some will however have to wait until the end of the winter holidays to be implemented.

bl4cksun said:
one thing you can do with multiple channels (although you needthe same synth and sound on each channel), different pitch bend plus different values for whatever you have yaw set to, applied to different notes.

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:41:39 +0000 GMT

Don't worry Mike, I'm personally using EigenD like you, but we recognize these different usage patterns. We try very hard to not restrict features either way when evolving EigenD. Granted, it does make some things much more complex to implement, but in the end it's worth it :-)

mikemilton said:
To be really clear, I'm not arguing against your direction at all. I am suggesting that it is not the only direction and that saying it can be done in mainstage is not a good reason to limit what can be done elsewise. (and vice versa BTW)

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:30:30 +0000 GMT

@david, we just put up EigenD 1.3.8-unstable which should fix some of your routing matrix problems and adds some GUI improvements.

This release also has a new 'legato trigger' feature that allows you to temporarily use the same MIDI channel for a series of notes even though you're using poly MIDI mode. This is very handy for software instruments that use different sounds when a series of notes are played legato.

written by: keyman

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 13:00:57 +0000 GMT

Manage to stash my PICO (very difficult) and with it the small AKAI SV01v, for this holidays... installing and running 1.3.8.

Thanks Geert...and everyone at EIGENLABS
Merry Christmas to all!

Keyman

written by: NothanUmber

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:37:51 +0000 GMT

geert said:
I'm personally using Kontakt, Omnisphere, Reaktor and Synplant in the way you describe

Thanks for the tip with Synplant, I have that synth but did not try it with the Eigenharp yet - perfect match!
Could we start a list in the wiki where we list all plugins categorized by how good they support the poly mode of the Eigenharp? E.g. something like that:

full support + high resolution (native EigenD protocol or MIDI poly pitch bend, poly aftertouch, 14 bit poly CCs)
* EigenD native plugins
* synths that are available as sources/schematics can be extended to support that feature (Reaktor/SynthMaker/SynthEdit/C++ etc.)

full support (poly pitch bend, poly aftertouch, poly CCs):
* Synplant

multitimbral synths that can be tricked into full support by loading the same sound into layers that react to different midi channels (can be less comfortable because all layers have to be updated when the preset was tweaked):
* Omnisphere
* Kontakt
* multiple synth instances that are hosted in a subhost that offers a midi channel multiplexer like Bidule (Works with any synth but is potentially less efficient then a synth that supports the feature in one instance)

partial support II (poly pitch bend, poly aftertouch):
* PolyAna

partial support Ia (poly aftertouch):
* Alchemy
* many other synths

partial support Ib (poly pitch bend):
* impOSCar

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 16:23:11 +0000 GMT

@NothanUmber, feel free to edit the relevant pages on the wiki! :-)

Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks for all the input and interaction!

Take care,

Geert

written by: steveelbows

Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:19:46 +0000 GMT

Thanks so much for the new midi matrix stuff, its most excellent and solves one of my long term issues nicely (yaw stuff). The Pico is now a joy to use the way I want it with various soft synths etc in a DAW.

dhjdhj rather than using Belcanto to turn off the default pitchbend stuff, Ive recently been using Stage to achieve this instead. I find the control 'k bend range input' that is under the appropriate scaler, in my case on Pico setup 1 its scaler 8, and then I turn this control down to 0.

Fri, 24 Dec 2010 09:38:50 +0000 GMT

FYI, in the next version we'll have a GUI setting in the routing matrix to turn off pitch bend entirely, as well as note on/off in case you would want that also :-)

written by: steveelbows

Fri, 24 Dec 2010 14:01:21 +0000 GMT

Good stuff, have a great Christmas.

written by: dhjdhj

Fri, 24 Dec 2010 15:36:04 +0000 GMT

[@mikemilton
We are in violent agreement --- the only reason I mentioned this issue at all is that until the recent changes were made, the kind of thing I wanted to do could NOT be done using apps like MainStage because too much data was getting sent into it.

mikemilton said:
"I am suggesting that it is not the only direction and that saying it can be done in mainstage is not a good reason to limit what can be done elsewise. (and vice versa BTW) "

@bl4cksun
Yes, that's quite true. In my earlier "polite" (grin) requests for access to the specific key-location information, it was so that I could use Max patches to do exactly this kind of processing as I couldn't figure out how to do it easily with Belcanto.
bl4cksun said:
one thing you can do with multiple channels (although you need the same synth and sound on each channel), different pitch bend plus different values for whatever you have yaw set to, applied to different notes.

@steveelbows
I am not using Belcanto at all, I just want high-level easy stuff, which was why the introduction of Stage was very exciting to me. However, I found I could not turn off pitchbend through Stage but I believe that might just be a bug with Alpha.

@geert
I have to say, I'm totally reinvigorated by the new changes --- thrilled to be able to easily configure stuff at high level and get instant results. I'm not around this week either and I'm totally content to know that these ideas are being considered.

geert said:
we're taking your suggestions into account, some will however have to wait until the end of the winter holidays to be implemented.

Take care,
D

written by: dhjdhj

Fri, 24 Dec 2010 15:46:18 +0000 GMT

Ha ha ha --- actually I can easily imagine some uses for that where I want to use keys to trigger stuff without having to add extra code at the receiving end to ignore the notes themselves.

Now, can you extend Stage so that the same thing can be done for those drum keys at the bottom? I'd love to be able to use those drum keys to do things like change octaves so that I can have the entire 24 rows of keys in my alpha be available for actual playing purposes.

geert said:
FYI, in the next version we'll have a GUI setting in the routing matrix to turn off pitch bend entirely, as well as note on/off in case you would want that also :-)

written by: 0beron

Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:18:14 +0000 GMT

I've been playing around with the new routing dialog in 1.3.8, and I'm having problems getting the same behavior out of it than with the old matrix. I'm not sure if this is a bug or whether my mental model of the new system is no longer correct. Here goes:

Old behaviour:
Strip controller 1 or 2 connected to an audio unit parameter using the routing matrix, with a multiplier of say 3.0. Positioning the dial/fader etc in the AU GUI would set the 'base value', and then placing you finger on the strip controller would not affect the value until you slide up or down, at which point the dial moves in the corresponding direction.

New behaviour:
Setting a multiplier of 3.0 gives the same behaviour, but you are unable to move the parameter below the base value as you could before. I then moved the new 'base value' handle on the bounds slider (the round one between the arrows), and positioned this at 50%. Now if I touch the strip controllers the value jumps to 100% straight away and then you can slide it down. Is this jump to be expected with the controls set as I have described?

The AU routing matrix and the MIDI out CC matrix always were different in behaviour (relative and absolute respectively), so does this change represent a unification of the two routing methods, and a move to making the au parameters absolute? Can we have an option to restore the relative behaviour?

Most of the time I want to position a control in an AU at some starting value (say a pitch for an oscillator or a frequency to tune a comb filter), and then assign a control to prod it in either direction. I want the middle value of the controller (ie no key pressure, no breath, or in the case of the strip controllers the middle should be wherever you first touch it) to cause no change in the parameter value, and to be able to push the value in either direction at a certain speed given by the multiplier. Is there another requirement here to be able to set the bounds of the controls in absolute terms, so that I can set up my relative controls as I please but then have eigenD cap the values to the known range of the target parameter in order not to push it into an invalid range?

Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:30:03 +0000 GMT

Hi 0beron,

Thanks for the report, this is not intended behavior and I'm looking at how to best fix it for the next unstable release. You should be able to more downwards without setting and offset.

Take care,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Team

Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:28:13 +0000 GMT

Hi 0beron,

Just wanted to tell you that I tracked down the problem and that it will be fixed for the next release. Basically, you had to be able to set the low bound range to 100% independently of where the base offset is located. So I changed the GUI to have totally independent dials for all three values. From my testing this should give you all the control you need and behave the same by default as what you were used to in the 1.2 release.

Best regards,

Geert

Please log in to join the discussions