Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: DPA Microphone

Most Recent

written by: KaylaK

Aaaaaaaah that explains everything! I wondered why despite carefully going through step by step I couldn't seem to get anything but terrible white noise when connecting it :) Who'd have a PC eh? ;)

I'll have to use an external mic for the Fringe performances in that case, which is absolutely fine ~ gives me something else to change up the next shows later in the year.

Thanks for your help & looking forward to the software update!

K x

written by: jeanphy

Sat, 4 Dec 2010 00:06:11 +0000 GMT

A DPA microphone for Alpha is available now on the shop !
Thank you eigenlabs, it's a great update.
But can we have more information about this micro, and how to use it with my alpha ?
(Hope we will see other stuffs in the eigenlabs shop like Pedals, Leather
Straps, Stickers (love the logo), clothes etc......)

written by: geert

Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:11:16 +0000 GMT

Hi Jeanphy,

The DPA microphone slots directly into the Alpha, next to the breath pipe. You can set up various parameters for the microphone through the Advanced Heapdhone and Microphone controls (details on the last page of your reference guide). The audio of the microphone is a dedicated channel on the EigenD mixer and you can combine it together with the instruments. When running at 96k with the standard 512 sample buffer size, monitoring the microphone through your headphones is low enough latency to make this comfortable during performance (some people are even ok with a lower sampling rate, but I'm personally quite sensitive to latency). You can use the headphone out from the Alpha for monitoring also, meaning you have everything comfortably together in one physical package (instrument, microphone, monitoring).

I personally have the DPA microphone and am using it with my Alpha. I have to say that it's an extremely nice microphone for vocal work, I really like what I'm hearing. I'm wrapping up some personal projects next week and plan on resuming my personal Eigenharp videos on EigenZone soon after that. I'll probably start with something about the microphone.

Hope this helps,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Team

written by: john

Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:04:10 +0000 GMT

Just to add to what Geert has just posted, we've started adding documentation to the wiki for this now, you can find it here. This is incomplete (it does not yet describe which mixer channels things are connected to, tell one how to use Stage to control gain etc etc) but we will be adding to it early next week to flesh it out, there isn't a lot to add.

I have just uploaded the white paper (PDF) on how it is wired there, if you are electronically inclined at all this is interesting. It shows how to connect your own microphones (which I must stress we do not provide support for, there are just too many possible ways to do this to make that practical) but you might enjoy reading it.

John

written by: jeanphy

Sun, 5 Dec 2010 17:04:05 +0000 GMT

Thank you both....Now , I know what I want for Christmas...

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:13:14 +0000 GMT

Ok... Well The DPA Mic arrived quickly and, thanks to the WIKI entry, it is nicely working with little fuss.

Now for some questions about use... other than just to mx in vocals.

The application I have in mind is to loop (and layer) some analog sound (like flute) in with the eigenharp.

It would be more straightforward to be able to just assign the mic audio to it's own output - is this / will this be possible? Actually, it would be helpful in some instances to be able to have all the mixer inputs available separately (probably with a pre/post set of choices).

Given what I might know how to do at this point, My initial thinking is to use a mic FX send to do this in a plugin (any suggestions for something simple - ie not Max, perhaps superlooper? and a way to control it from the Alpha Keyboard)

I'm going to tinker now and will report back any findings but all advice is welcome.

m

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:23:37 +0000 GMT

hmmm... I might just be asking; How the heck was the KK mic demo done?

'Having fun on a snowy day, m

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:25:00 +0000 GMT

Hi Mike

I know Dave had been using Expert Sleepers Augustus Loop AU to do microphone looping, inserted as an FX plugin I think in the mixer. I'll ask him to post details of how to set this up next week.

John

edit: The mic video Kayla did for us used this..

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:25:40 +0000 GMT

great... In the interim I'll tinker with Superlooper, which seems to be similar

Cheers,m

Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:28:23 +0000 GMT

Bump

Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:49:13 +0000 GMT

Let me expand on "bump"

Did Dave post about the KK setup somewhere?

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:24:16 +0000 GMT

Hi Mike

Consider us bumped. Unfortunately it looks like Dave forgot this and he's on holiday now until after Christmas. We've had a lot of testing and configuration to do for the new 1.3 unstable release, so that's probably why. As soon as he's back I'll ask him about it again.

John

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:07:54 +0000 GMT

No problem. Thanks again!

Have a great holiday season!

m

Sat, 8 Jan 2011 17:28:32 +0000 GMT

Ok, just keeping this somewhere nearer to the top of the discussion list.

I've had good success with sooperlooper as a stand-alone or as an effect insert in the mic path with manual control but not getting the effect insert to also listen to a keygroup (which I think was being done with agustus)

Insights or any other suggestions for interesting things to try would be appreciated

m

Sat, 8 Jan 2011 17:31:27 +0000 GMT

Actually, another question might be how does one load an AU such that the mic (or the audio from another keygroup) is an input to that AU? For example, how would one use Tim Exile's, the mouth?

written by: 0beron

Sat, 8 Jan 2011 20:49:33 +0000 GMT

I've brought up sidechaining before, not sure if eigenD supports it yet.

Sat, 8 Jan 2011 21:22:19 +0000 GMT

perhaps, but it sure looks like they managed it in the KK mic video.

That said, they might have run a standalone controlled my one of the midi outs and looped the whole audio stream. I guess one could also insert an effect that had the single purpose of pulling the mic audio out of the mix and into the standalone.

I'm hoping for additional info

Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:38:55 +0000 GMT

@DaveK

Thanks for today's seminar on controlling inlike fx

@jeanphy

The implication (I think, have yet to try it) is that you can load SooperLooper as the inline FX for the mic and control it from a keygroup using the info from the seminar. The AU mentioned was #13

Wed, 3 Aug 2011 22:43:02 +0100 BST

Bump!

Hello guys - I'm currently 2 weeks away from performing on the Alpha at the Edinburgh Fringe which is quite exciting ... I've yet to master the microphone (ironically as I'm the one on the video ;) and wondered if there was an update on if and when it'll be loop-able via the recorder?

Sitting with a lovely DPA mic and not knowing what to do with it just seems plain wrong!

K x

written by: geert

Thu, 4 Aug 2011 08:05:08 +0100 BST

Hi Kayla,

The Eigenharp doesn't provide an audio looper yet, we record and loop the actual data that you play before it's converted to audio, giving you maximum amount of performance flexibility.

To loop the audio of your voice, you can use an inline effect like SooperLooper and interact with that. I do suggest you use v1.4 of EigenD when doing this since we made quite a lot of performance optimizations in that version which might be required for the inline audio unit on the microphone signal to work well on most computers.

Do make note though, the microphone on the Alpha is currently only working on MacOSX and not yet on Windows. This is one of the remaining features that will be added to 1.4 in the coming weeks. I don't think it'll be done in time for your performance in 2 weeks though.

Take care,

Geert

Thu, 4 Aug 2011 19:51:32 +0100 BST

Aaaaaaaah that explains everything! I wondered why despite carefully going through step by step I couldn't seem to get anything but terrible white noise when connecting it :) Who'd have a PC eh? ;)

I'll have to use an external mic for the Fringe performances in that case, which is absolutely fine ~ gives me something else to change up the next shows later in the year.

Thanks for your help & looking forward to the software update!

K x

Please log in to join the discussions