Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Stage Parameter values

Most Recent

written by: keyman

@sfellner
...yep! I do understand and definitely "sailling on he same waters"
I still have that small child inside me...eagger of discovery; we do live in fast paced times.

Thanks for you're kind reply, I'll see what I can find!

keyman

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:47:19 +0000 GMT

Just an observation / wishlist item

- it would be nice if stage widgets could store and be able to snap back to the value that is in the setup. (it would also be nice to be able to display this value)

- value ranges: are a bit wonky. For example the "pitch time input" starts at 0 but the next value is 1000... not very useful for setting portamento time. In general, it would be nice to be able to change the range and step value of widgets.

- setting display: It would be nice to have 'landmarks' along with the current setting. I'm thinking of something like little lines across the display to show not just the default value but also the one in the loaded setup as well as things like the highest and lowest used in the present session

- attaching widgets to controls (keyboard and other). This may already be there or previously mentioned (or part of the forthcoming setup platform) but it would be nice to be able to connect widgets to things like external (MIDI or other) controllers as well as to things like pitch and yaw and have the widget display the input as it changes.

Just some early thoughts
m

Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:58:44 +0000 GMT

About resolution of the input values...
Can we have other ways to enter the values ? (hitting the shift key, for smaller resolution, maybe?)

First exemple in the MASTER VOLUME it's not possible to have a value of, say, 100 or 104. This is not critical but with octaves, can't get a perfect octave or two octves

- sampler 1 - transpose
unable to adjust correctly ( it jumps from 0 to 1,44 to 2,88 to 4,32 etc same to negative values)
Can't adjust to like 5 or 12 or 24 or -12, -24

Is this just me ?

I do like (with the magic mouse) to point the knob and swipe (left/right) with one finger and go fast to a value!

Keyman

written by: arran

Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:57:04 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the comments!

We're working on features for the widget parameters, including features that will allow you to set the steps/resolution and ranges for the widgets. These will go into one of the upcoming releases.

Arran

written by: natcl

Tue, 30 Nov 2010 19:04:19 +0000 GMT

I was wondering how scale selection will be handled over OSC ? Will it be possible to pass strings of text as parameters ? It seems more logicial to me to send something like /kgroup1/scale/aeolian than sendning in a number. It would also be nice to define scales directly via osc by sending in the intervals !

written by: LAYER8

Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:42:18 +0000 GMT

In the future, will stage be able to display the status like selected instrument, scale, tonic, recorder?
It would also be interesting to display an image e.g. based on the selected scale. With this one could get help with fingering.

These improvements may be very helpful to a beginner.

Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:01:54 +0000 GMT

The new ability to set the increments is very helpful, Thanks for that.

Here are some other thoughts on stage:

layout tools (like align top/mid/bottom) would be handy for rows and cols of widgets.

Specifying a scale size (a number) would be a nice addition to dragging edges or corners as would a copy command (to make a set of widgets the same) and some form of nudge.

speed: I know its early days but the response is sluggish enough to be painful (and I'm running on an 8core pro)

scrolling: partly the issue arrises from the sluggishness but it would be mice to ba able to page up and down as well as scroll or selecting an absolute position

Overall, this is a great addition to the environment

written by: john

Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:42:20 +0000 GMT

Hi Mike

Thanks for the comments. There are a bunch of layout aids that we have an ambition to implement (I think some kind of 'snap to grid' is probably next) and yours will definitely be on the list. We're probably not going to add any now though, before we put 1.3 into Testing, they'll have to wait for another series.

I'm not sure whats happening with the speed issue you're having, its not something we've seen here. The controls are traveling over the network (using OSC over UDP) and if your network is very busy (especially if you're running Stage on another machine and over wireless) you might experience some lag, which will be visible as the crosshatched area on a control appearing to show you the difference between the value you've set and what it's reached. But on your local machine its usually really hard to get this to appear, if you're seeing a lot of it that sounds like a bug, unless you're doing a massive file copy or something else that is maxing out your network.

Stage does take a little while to start up, with the 'spinning pizza of death' being the only thing you see while it does so - its actually fetching lots of system information from EigenD while this spins and we're about to add a progress bar to show this rather than the alarming pizza. But it doesn't sound like what you are talking about. Could you possibly describe the lag in more detail?

John

Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:15:13 +0000 GMT

John, thanks for your reply

this is all just a wish list - no hurry. snap-to is likely an easier implementation and just as effective.

I'm not having performance problems *running* stage either locally or over wifi (hey a non-bug report!!)

It also isn't very slow to start up (the longest delay seems to be just 'looking for eigenD' and that is not long)

My sluggishness is in setting up tabs and scrolling through the list of potential widget connections. This isn't a cpu bottleneck (my iStat meters barely budge off idle) so I imagine it will resolve itself as the code is worked on.

This is really a great addition.. heck, even the help popups alone have been quite an interesting info source

cheers, m

Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:48:03 +0000 GMT

As a full time musician / composer, this are my insight's of STAGE
- love the toolbar ala Cubase (ups...long time Steinberg user)
- the 1.3.8 step value
- love just pointing to a knob with Apple's magic mouse and slide up or down for the value. The same is true with Apple's magic trackpad, here you even can slide left to right and up and down for value ( my me to me Christmas gift, ehehh)

Spend this last days with my PICO and if one edit a tab from the Standard PICO setup (add or change it) and then export that tab, when importing it into other setup's every widget get's duplicated.
This dosen't happend if one create a tab from scratch.

I have bin writhing down this small list for some time ( and by now Mike touch in some key points, and John replied to them )

- Undo/Redo
- Copy and paste widgets
- group / un group widgets together
- some way to get a widget resize / fixed size
- Configurable Grid and or snap to grid 

I do also find STAGE a wonderful addition to every Eigenharp, as it is right now and even more when the IOS support gets in action.

In my "spare ALPHA time" I'm creating ( and will post here )the missing PICO Sampler 2 and 3 and others. (it's not that easy and quick done...

keyman

Mon, 3 Jan 2011 04:47:11 +0000 GMT

As promised ( it's not that easy) and with the duplicate issue,
here's PICO STAGE tab for SAMPLER 2 ( I just used SAMPLER 1 layout)

First STAGE tab exchange to see how it goes. Let me know something!

keyman

written by: sfellner

Mon, 3 Jan 2011 11:13:43 +0000 GMT

keyman, thanks for your STAGE tab, which works very well.

Recently tried the same with different approach: editing the XML in exported tab-file (.els), replicating Sampler 1 Layout as Samplers 2-4, afterwards adjusting the belcanto-names. Did as well assign some step values.

My new stage tab setup contains ALL tabs, so you would first export your tabs for backup, then remove all current tabs (add an empty one to be able to remove the last one), and finally import from here:
PICO STAGE 4 Samplers

On Sampler 3 Tab we can now easily detune the piano by -10 cents as it seems currently pitched to high.

STAGE is a lot of fun, just discovered the possibility of playing two or more instruments at the same time with different scales(!), tonic, octave - a world to explore. I didn't see this by going through the belcanto documentation...

TouchOSC works as well, but doesn't reflect actual values.
Here is my current version for an iPhone-Screen, work in progress:
Pico_4.touchosc.zip

stefan

Tue, 4 Jan 2011 05:16:09 +0000 GMT

Hi, Stefan

Thanks for sharing!! really appreciate the gesture.

There really most be a bug, cos every widgets inside the tabs are twice, three times there.. can you check this ?? every time one edits the tabs and save, it duplicates the widgets.

You're Iphone TouchOSC... it's.... jammable !! eheh again thanks !
( I can now glue the iphone to PICO ehhhh)

keyman

Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:56:05 +0000 GMT

Hi, keyman

thanks for testing my Stage tab file. Unfortunately, I did not see the problem you pointed out before posting it. Just made a corrected version, same filename:
PICO STAGE 4 Samplers
Again first remove all tabs, then import from this file.

I found that there can be a problem with Stage in adding tabs or changing elements and exporting them directly afterwards. Always closing and reopening Stage before exporting Tabs helped. (using EigenD 1.3.8-unstable)

As I understand the connection between Stage and EigenD, Stage can always only refer to objects instantiated in current loaded EigenD Setup. So changing the Setup while Stage is running is not a good idea. This is where I probably got mixed up the elements on my tabs.

I would suggest to store the Stage tabs as Part of the EigenD Setup. Thus remotely connecting to an EigenD Instance would transfer the appropriate tabs rather than having to import them from file. There could be an "save to setup" option. But it is early stages, I know.

Stefan

Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:53:57 +0000 GMT

Hi, Stefan

About the duplicate issue, I did send a bug report and I'm sure by now it's documented already.

Have to try you're "editing the XML" approach, so I can use STAGE with my ALPHA.

keyman

written by: arran

Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:25:15 +0000 GMT

Hi

The bug that was causing duplicate widgets to appear after exporting and importing tabs has been fixed in 1.3.9-unstable.

Arran

Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:22:50 +0000 GMT

Thanks Arran and to all the Dev team at Eigenlabs!

I'm running 1.3.9 since it came out... STAGE is getting better by now.

As I'm writing this post, notice that STAGE doesn't run with ALPHA 3 - 5 split setup, is it just me ? (I normally only use simpler setups, few splits)

keyman

Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:00:13 +0000 GMT

I'm using it with A3... although it is an upgraded setup from older versions.

Sat, 29 Jan 2011 05:17:57 +0000 GMT

@sfellner
Hi Stefan, think I have some spare time this weekend, and was planning to put my Ipad into the STAGE "equation" (using TouchOSC) but before I do, as anyone done this already ? What about you're iPhone-Screen work in progress, finished?

keyman

Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:08:00 +0000 GMT

Hi keyman,

couldn't embark on new explorations yet, ship and wind missing in january...
I do like the OSC commands and their simple path values. If only TouchOSC could receive current control values from EigenD, it would already fit my purposes. So I stopped on that route for now.

Looks like STAGE is the way to go. As I understand, you are about to build tabs for an Alpha Setup.
Are you trying to bridge STAGE and TouchOSC? How is that?

Be aware that tinkering STAGE-xml is kind of a hack. The export/import tabs feature may be intended only to share tabs between setups. After all, my approach was to copy a 'master'-tab, and adjust the path-attributes, just like you would in TouchOSC-Editor:

From Stage Tab Sampler 1:
widget name="Detune" path="/sampler_oscillator_1/detune_input" address="<e97ae72fdb33/sampler_oscil>#2.2"
enabled="true" userEnabled="1" type="rotaryKnob"

altered for new Stage Tab Sampler 2:
widget name="Detune" path="/sampler_oscillator_2/detune_input" address="<e97ae72fdb33/sampler_oscil>#2.2"
enabled="true" userEnabled="1" type="rotaryKnob"

Note that I did leave the address attribute value unchanged. This works so far for the Pico, but could cause problems further ahead. If you add the widget sampler_oscillator_2/detune_input inside STAGE, it gets a different address attribute value (8dc321c6efc1[...]) than for sampler_oscillator_1/detune_input (e97ae72fdb33[...]).

So I guess the proper way would be to build a dictionary with all correspondent path and address values, and to use them in some xml-processing to copy the tabs. Some more miles ahead.

I can see eyebrows raised upon fooling around with configuration files. But isn't the very nature of using instruments to explore all of their aspects? Back in mechanical age i would have opened the case and pulled every string to understand. Maybe electronic devices need an equivalent for that, at least for me. In case of EigenD this could be a large switchboard of belcanto-objects, as in workbench. All with major changes ahead, and not for the public yet, as we know. I could bear learning different versions and concepts though...

Wish you interesting discoveries!
Stefan.

Sat, 29 Jan 2011 13:30:41 +0000 GMT

@sfellner
...yep! I do understand and definitely "sailling on he same waters"
I still have that small child inside me...eagger of discovery; we do live in fast paced times.

Thanks for you're kind reply, I'll see what I can find!

keyman

Please log in to join the discussions