Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Problem getting Ableton Live to learn Alpha note events

Most Recent

written by: dhjdhj

Good idea, I'll try that.

Sat, 13 Nov 2010 22:15:10 +0000 GMT

Recently I have been experimenting with Ableton Live as a way to create some quick loops over which I can improvise a solo with the Alpha. I want to be able to trigger clips (or tracks) from the Alpha. I found that it was impossible to do this because the slightest touch of any key on the Alpha spews out a ton of events. (This is the only example where the wonderful sensitivity of the Alpha is a liability :-) )

Ultimately, I created a trivial Max patch that just accepts note events and sends them back out again (for those of you familiar with Max, a trivial notein connected to noteout). I can then configure a virtual Max output as a "Remote" for Live and associate the desired Note events with clips.

There are however a couple of problems:

1) You have to have Max (or an equivalent program that can do this kind of filtering)
2) Because the Eigenharp itself still needs to be playable, i.e. associated with a track in Live, all Note events still go into Ableton Live and trigger sounds. Normally, if you have an instrument configured to be used in a track and as a remote, once you assign an event for "remote", the event is no longer passed to the track

How can I trivially reconfigure a few specific keys so that they only send Note events? I had hoped to have access to WorkBench by now (which I assume will let me do this) but that doesn't seem to be available yet.

Thanks,
D

written by: keyman

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 03:43:44 +0000 GMT

well, you could try ( with the latest seminar) create a kgroup with that specific configuration ( like, no velocity, less sensitivity on the keys etc..)
"pluming" away connections it's easier I think...

keyman

written by: barnone

Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:36:58 +0000 GMT

Here's a LIVE trick that will fix this.

When you midi map in Live and you get a ton of midi events, you can use "Undo" Ctrl(Command)-z which will keep undoing the events until you get to the one you want.

Thu, 25 Nov 2010 04:30:34 +0000 GMT

Good idea, I'll try that.

Please log in to join the discussions