Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: New Unstable Windows Release - 1.2.3-unstable - available now

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

I have read on another forum (one supporting Propellerhead's Reason) that ASIO4All was not favored.

Jim - The audio device/parameter editor sounds like just the feature needed for this aspect. Thanks.

Randy

written by: sam

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:16:31 +0100 BST

Hi all,

We have released a new Unstable release of EigenD, 1.2.3-unstable, available for both Mac and Windows.

It fixes a number of issues for Windows, and includes Camel Audio's Alchemy plug-in. For more specific details about bugs fixed, please refer to the Release Notes.

Please read the download/installation instructions on the page below carefully before installing.

http://www.eigenlabs.com/downloads/releases/eigend-123-unstable/

Sam
Eigenlabs

written by: barnone

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:25:30 +0100 BST

Is there any benefit to Mac users to install this over using 1.1.23?

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:11:20 +0100 BST

Super!

Will give it a go this evening.

Randy

written by: geert

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:18:54 +0100 BST

barnone said:
Is there any benefit to Mac users to install this over using 1.1.23?

There's a bunch of new features but I'm still wrapping up the documentation for it and tying up some loose ends. Yes it's worth installing it but without the docs for the new features you'll not really be able to use them.

Here's an excerpt of the docs:

Added support for overdub mode in the EigenD recorders.

An additional 'overdub' toggle key is now present on the Alpha and Tau setups on the Recorder Controls, underneath the 'cancel all' key. Due to space restrictions, in the Pico setup this key is located at the bottom of the left row in the Midi Out Control.

When the 'overdub' toggle is enabled and lit green, additional recording for the same instrument will not replace the previous ones but instead create additional takes that play simultaneously. Additionally, the 'unplay' key erases only the last take, allowing for layered loops to be built up and tore down with a single instrument while playing live.

The Belcanto commands to globally toggle the overdub behaviour are:

all recorder hey all overdub toggle set

An individual recorder's overdub state can be toggled also:

recorder 1 hey overdub toggle set

Note that if one recorder's overdub state is not consistent with the overdub state of the other recorders, the light of the overdub key will be lit orange.

written by: 0beron

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:46:20 +0100 BST

Aha - this sounds very promising!
Is there currently a way of setting up a recorder so that it goes into continuous overdub mode, ie you don't have to retrigger the recorder to add another layer, it just starts recording a 2nd layer when you hit the loop point?

written by: barnone

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 02:25:02 +0100 BST

yummy

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 06:47:00 +0100 BST

0beron said:
Aha - this sounds very promising!
Is there currently a way of setting up a recorder so that it goes into continuous overdub mode, ie you don't have to retrigger the recorder to add another layer, it just starts recording a 2nd layer when you hit the loop point?

That's not currently possible, do you think it would be a useful addition? I personally can't see myself using it, but everyone obviously does things differently. I can bring it up internally and see what the others think.

Take care,

Geert
Eigenlabs

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:46:41 +0100 BST

>>
If you have EigenD installed on Windows already, please use the control panel to uninstall any EigenD and Eigenlabs Device Driver packages before installing this package.
<<

I'm not sure how to uninstall device drivers or how to find the ones to uninstall. Can you provide details please? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind. I found it in Add/Remove.

written by: jim

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:47:13 +0100 BST

Open the Windows Control Panel, and make sure you are showing the category view. Choose 'Uninstall a Program' and you'll see a list of all the stuff you've installed.

Select 'Eigenlabs Device Drivers', and uninstall it. Also select 'EigenD' and uninstall that.

Then go ahead and install the new package.

We've had to restructure the installer, so that's why you have to do this with this version. Subsequent updates won't need this uninstall step.

Jim
Eigenlabs

written by: bl4cksun

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:44:03 +0100 BST

geert said:
Added support for overdub mode in the EigenD recorders.

When the 'overdub' toggle is enabled and lit green........... allowing for layered loops to be built up and tore down with a single instrument while playing live.

Hi Geert,
do the takes in the overdub mode appear as separate loops in the scheduler so you can choose which takes you want to play at the same time?

thanks

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:09:28 +0100 BST

bl4cksun said:
Hi Geert,
do the takes in the overdub mode appear as separate loops in the scheduler so you can choose which takes you want to play at the same time?

They most certainly do :-)

Take care,

Geert

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:47:11 +0100 BST

Just a 'first look' report on the update.

Alchemy is fun. Thanks for adding that. ASIO driver now sounds fine.

Problem: Sampler 1, cello and clarinet are all fuzzy and distorted (not in a good way). On cello, this is both with ribbon and breath controller.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I sent a bug report to the group just in case.

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:50:27 +0100 BST

Thanks for the bug report. I'm looking into these issues.
Are the other samplers distorted too?

jim
Eigenlabs

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:37:20 +0100 BST

Samplers 2 and 3 sound fine. Will spend more time over the weekend to see if I can get you any more details. I will also get you the version of the AMD processor.

Randy

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:36:50 +0100 BST

Got home, fired up EigenD and... no distortion problem I reported earlier. Checked sampler 1, cello and clarinet and all are clear.

Don't know what the problem was. I did restart my PC prior to launching things today. Perhaps I didn't do that after I installed the update.

Will still monitor things, but looks like I sent a false alarm.

written by: Kiichi

Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:38:59 +0100 BST

Just got the first few minutes with the update and I can say one thing for sure: Thanks for the Alchemy, from what I´ve seen so far, I love it! Should be amazing for electronica ambience music projekts on the side (and things that would be on in the local disco...of which I´m not sure if it is a good thing).

Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:59:39 +0100 BST

After more fiddling last evening, I discovered that the distortion I first reported (and then unreported) actually happens when I have the ASIO driver selected. Everything I first reported is under the ASIO driver.

On my setup, I use the Creative SB X-Fi sound card. I have 3 options in the 'Browsing audio ports' window:

1) Creative ASIO (ASIO)
2) Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
3) SPDIF Cout

It's the ASIO driver that experiences the distortion on sampler 1, cello, and clarinet

The 2nd option sounds fine, and doesn't produce the crackling found in the previous version.

Option 3 locks up my PC and requires a hard restart.

Sat, 23 Oct 2010 14:01:51 +0100 BST

Also, if I quit EigenD and relaunch, the software produces a 'Visual C++ runtime' error. Only way to launch software is by restarting my PC.

Anyone else see this?

written by: 0beron

Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:06:11 +0100 BST

Does ASIO4all (which I guess is what you are using) give the ability to change the buffer size it uses? There ought to be an asio4all icon in your start menu or on your desktop, and dialog with which to change the buffer size (make it larger in small steps until the distortion and crackling goes away).

Can someone with a windows box confirm this?

Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:06:08 +0100 BST

Hi.

We don't use ASIO4all explicitly, that's just an ASIO shim you must have installed which gives access to Direct Sound devices via Asio.

I've not had much luck using ASIO4All. I'm interested to find out how many people are using it? I get much better results using the direct X interface directly.

I'm going to implement a GUI (under the Tools menu) to allow you to control the Audio device and set its parameters. Hopefully I'll get this out in the next couple of days. This will be for both Windows and Mac.

jim
Eigenlabs

Please log in to join the discussions