Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Playing colored light with Eigenharp Pico

Most Recent

written by: natcl

Hi there,

It's pretty simple actually. The lamp communicates via a socket over WiFi. I made a Max patch that sends the color information to the lamp via the udpsend object. The Eigenharp stream is piped to Max/MSP via MIDI. The breath controls the intensity of the light and I mapped 3 midi notes to the 3 primary colors (red, green, blue) So if I combine the notes, I get secondary colors. The sound is Ableton Live which also receives the MIDI.

This is something I did quickly in 10 minutes, with a little more time, using the bend information coming from the keys it could be even more interesting. The Eigenharp is really a great instrument, there is something extremely rewarding playing the keys and seeing the effects changes that I just can't seem to reproduce with other controllers.

Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:27:49 +0100 BST

Here's a little video showing the Eigenharp Pico controlling my WiFi RGB LED lamp, it's loads of fun. Doing the same thing with a normal MIDI keyboard would just not be the same. It's interesting to see that even for non-musical applications, the Eigenharp really shines.
Eigenharp and RGB LED lamp

written by: 0beron

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:42:19 +0100 BST

!

Brilliant!

Please can you explain a bit how it works? In your video I see some software with the hue/colour table responding to the Pico, is that Max MSP? Or something else?

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 02:37:05 +0100 BST

Hi there,

It's pretty simple actually. The lamp communicates via a socket over WiFi. I made a Max patch that sends the color information to the lamp via the udpsend object. The Eigenharp stream is piped to Max/MSP via MIDI. The breath controls the intensity of the light and I mapped 3 midi notes to the 3 primary colors (red, green, blue) So if I combine the notes, I get secondary colors. The sound is Ableton Live which also receives the MIDI.

This is something I did quickly in 10 minutes, with a little more time, using the bend information coming from the keys it could be even more interesting. The Eigenharp is really a great instrument, there is something extremely rewarding playing the keys and seeing the effects changes that I just can't seem to reproduce with other controllers.

Please log in to join the discussions