Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Changing sampler octave ranges for soundfonts?

Most Recent

written by: sam

Hi Richard,

If you would like your Sampler instruments not to respond to the scale, tonic and octave talkers, and to set up your scalers specifically for the Soundfonts you have created, if you use the command

scaler X hey
override set

you can then manually set the scale, tonic and octave for the individual sampler instruments using e.g.

scaler X hey
scale to chromatic set

scaler X hey
tonic to notec set

scaler X hey
octave to 3 set

OR

scaler X hey
octave up/down

All your other instruments will respond to the scale, tonic and octave talkers as normal.

To turn off override, use the command

scaler X hey
override un set

If you need anything else let us know.

Sam

written by: richard

Wed, 13 Oct 2010 00:03:55 +0100 BST

I've been creating some soundfonts (using Polyphontics) but when I load them, the octave ranges don't correspond to what I expect and they seem to be different for each sampler. ie C3 becomes C5. How do the three different samplers (on the Pico) read and map soundfont octaves? And Is there any way to change the octave range parameters on a particular sampler? It's quite annoying if you design and load a soundfont for Sampler 1 and then decide you want it on Sampler 2 - the octave key mappings seem to change.

written by: john

Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:16:28 +0100 BST

Hi Richard

The Samplers apply an octave offset to whatever Soundfont is being played which allows you to use the 'octave up/down' keys for each Keygroup to change the octave in which you are playing. The octave information starts in the Keygroup you are playing on and flows downstream to the sampler where it is read and modified. The 'octave up/down' keys change the octave settting in the Keygroup not the sampler, a fact worth remembering as it can be confusing - if you use the 'octave up' buttton while playing one instrument, you will in normal circumstances find that when you change the instrument on that Keygroup you are also playing that new instrument an octave up.

This is a sensible behaviour if you are playing a 'Cello, for example, but can be confusing when you are playing a sound (as seems to be in your case) where the samples are deliberately different for each note (often the case is percussion sample sets as well). There is an added complexity in that each instrument (in it's internal Scaler that adds tuning information) can apply an 'octave offset' to the incoming octave. This is usually used to set the octave, for example, of a bass guitar to be lower than that of a violin, and I think that it is probably this offset that is leading to your confusion here.

EigenD is actually very flexible about this behaviour, and you can configure it to pretty much do whatever you want. In your case I suspect that you want to keep allyour samplers at one fixed octave, to help you make your soundfonts in a simpler manner, and to make it irrelevant which particular sampler they are loaded into. To turn off all the Sampler octave offsets it is easiest to use the Commander (available in the 1.1 software series in the main application menu). Open it and type or play:

all scaler hey
all relative octave to 0 set

then save your setup (giving it a new name).

This will make all the samplers share the same octave when you run that setup, which you can then shift up and down by using the octave up/down keys for the keygroup. You will find that some of your other instruments (if you're using them at all) now have inconvenient octaves. You can move their relative octaves up and down to suit by saying things like

scaler X hey
relative octave up

or scaler X hey
relative octave down

where 'X' is the number of the scaler in the instrument you want to change. You can find out which scaler is used in which instrument here for the Pico , and here for the Alpha.

I hope that helps - give it a go and we're always here if you need further answers...

John

written by: richard

Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:07:54 +0100 BST

Thanks. I tried that, and all my samplers are now loading the same base note (the one at the top up by the metronome on/off key), which corresponds to C4 in my soundfont editor. It'll mean re-editing my soundfonts again, but at least they'll now behave the same way whatever sampler I load them into.

Thanks for the help.

R.

written by: sam

Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:45:17 +0100 BST

Hi Richard,

If you would like your Sampler instruments not to respond to the scale, tonic and octave talkers, and to set up your scalers specifically for the Soundfonts you have created, if you use the command

scaler X hey
override set

you can then manually set the scale, tonic and octave for the individual sampler instruments using e.g.

scaler X hey
scale to chromatic set

scaler X hey
tonic to notec set

scaler X hey
octave to 3 set

OR

scaler X hey
octave up/down

All your other instruments will respond to the scale, tonic and octave talkers as normal.

To turn off override, use the command

scaler X hey
override un set

If you need anything else let us know.

Sam

Please log in to join the discussions