Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Another video example

Most Recent

written by: dhjdhj

Yes, the sax and whistle sounds are both available from a standard install of Kontakt. I probably should have pulled a bass out of it as well.

I think Komplete is terrific --- there is a lot of coverage for not a lot of extra money over just getting Kontakt, i.e, Kontakt is $400 and Komplete is $520.

My only gripe is that they stopped including the B4 which I think is a superb hammond organ emulator, sounds even better than my Roland VK88. So I worry about it not working with a future version of Mac OS X

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:37:15 +0100 BST

I posted my first video a couple of days ago --- performing Lament from Riverdance with the Alpha. The Alpha is sending MIDI data directly to Apple MainStage (for the solo) and indirectly via a Max patch to step through the chords. I'm hoping that once I can find out how to distinguish each key, I will dump the sequential access to chords and assign each chord to a key.

I LOVE the expressive ability though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7k6Turv22k

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:20:27 +0100 BST

Your efforts have clearly paid off nicely.

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 04:04:52 +0100 BST

Here's my second example. Again it's from Riverdance, this time leveraging more seriously the pitch bending capabilities of the Alpha. As with my previous example, the sound is being produced through Apple MainStage with Max doing a little preprocessing. One cute trick here with Max is to detect a key and use it as a toggle to alternately send a control change with a value of either 0 or 127 to a "button" in MainStage. In MainStage, I have that button mapped to the volume of the whistle and sax channel strips, one inverted. Therefore, touching the designated key on the Eigenharp instantly switches between the whistle and the sax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_9jR3jpnU

written by: 0beron

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:54:16 +0100 BST

Nice work :)
The lament was one of the tunes I was seriously considering learning, lovely tune, and the expressiveness of the 'harp makes it worth using synthesizers to play it.

What are the sounds you are using? Are they things I might have if I have a copy of Logic Studio 9, or are they additional AUs that you have purchased?

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:12:34 +0100 BST

Thank you.

Actually, I got lazy and just used the fretless bass from the jam packs that come with Logic.

The saxaphone and whistle are both coming from Kontakt 4 and the strings and choir (only used in Lament) are coming from Omnisphere.

As soon as I'm able to do chords manually (i.e, once I can reconfigure the keys myself) I will be redoing the sounds to include some individual string sections so that I can include the harmonies that are played to accompany the solo in places.

written by: 0beron

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:50:54 +0100 BST

So are the sax and whistle part of Kontakt, or additional sampler instruments you've added?
I have Omnisphere, and seem to be lacking many conventional acoustic instruments sounds. I'm tempted by Komplete 7, but need to stop spending money on plugins...

Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:49:41 +0100 BST

Yes, the sax and whistle sounds are both available from a standard install of Kontakt. I probably should have pulled a bass out of it as well.

I think Komplete is terrific --- there is a lot of coverage for not a lot of extra money over just getting Kontakt, i.e, Kontakt is $400 and Komplete is $520.

My only gripe is that they stopped including the B4 which I think is a superb hammond organ emulator, sounds even better than my Roland VK88. So I worry about it not working with a future version of Mac OS X

Please log in to join the discussions