Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: EigenD 1.2.2-unstable Windows release - select ASIO driver?

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

Thanks, Sam. The clarified steps helped. Changed to the ASIO driver just fine.

I will say that I was not expecting the poor quality (extreme fuzzy/distortion) after switching to ASIO. Under normal circumstances this would not be the case. So, will await the update.

In the meantime, the default is usable (with the intermittent crackling that is listed in the release docs).

Thanks, again for the followup.

Randy Brown

written by: Fran

Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:01:48 +0100 BST

Hi,

I am trying a Pico that I bought yesterday but I have no clue where to change the driver to ASIO. I have read on the release notes that by default it takes Direct X. I amd using Windows 7 x64 and I have a RME Fireface 800. When I try to use the cello, synth or clarinet, all I hear is noise. The piano and the bass works but I can hear crackling as well.

Thanks.

written by: aaronw

Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:47:58 +0100 BST

Hi Fran,

We are working on full ASIO support but this is under development at the moment. We are currently working on improving ASIO stability and hope to release an update which includes these improvements at the end of next week.

In the meantime I can explain how to select ASIO for use with EigenD but you may find some problems during usage.

To select ASIO you need to navigate to the 'MIDI & Audio control' mode - please have your Quick Reference guide to hand and I will talk you through it. Please ensure that you have both EigenD and the EigenBrowser applications running.

Firstly hold down the main mode key and select the key labelled '4. Instrument/FX control' and turn to page 4. Hold down the key labelled 'mode key', select the key labelled 'MIDI & Audio control' mode and turn to page 16. Lastly press the key labelled 'Audio port browse' on the diagram. A list of audio options will appear in the left hand pane of the EigenBrowser, amongst which you should find 'ASIO'.

I hope that helps, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at support@eigenlabs.com

Cheers

Aaron
Customer Support

written by: MARCA

Wed, 6 Oct 2010 20:51:33 +0100 BST

Hi Fran, hi Aaron,

This is Marca from France and I receive my Pico yesterday.
I've got exactly the same problem than you, Fran. Unfortunately, the setup you mentionned (ASIO), Aaron, just shut down my Pico - well, that's probably because I don't have the corresponding sound equipement, I presume... ?
Would you please confirm this ? However, could we expect better sound... soon ?

Just be it said between ourselves, what an amazing job you did with this
instrument ! Congratulations !

written by: jim

Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:17:36 +0100 BST

Hi

There are big problems with audio in general in the 1.2.2 release. I'm working at the moment to get
all this sorted out, so you can actually choose the device as well as the class of device. At the moment, the setting for the device you choose can be a bit random, so depending on the exact
device, mileage varies. In general, Windows Audio (ie, DirectSound 10) seems to give the best
results but ASIO should (and will) work a lot better. I don't thing the DirectSound 9 interface will
ever give good results without high latencies.

I've had a quick go with Vista, and there aren't any huge problems there; 1.2.3 will run on Vista as
well as 7.

I'll be releasing 1.2.3 as soon as I can; I'm still having issues some ASIO devices. Expect a release
early next week as it will take me a while to sort the Vista stuff out too.

Good news for all the windows people out there is that I've switched my beloved MacBook to windows: I'm going to be living in Windows for a while now. I'll be concentrating on the windows
port pretty much full time from now until we reach full parity with MacOS.

Jim Chapman

Wed, 13 Oct 2010 02:26:02 +0100 BST

Hi -

I tried the steps above a number fo different ways and never saw the option to select the ASIO driver. I assume it's necessary to hold all of the keys down at the same time? This was the only way I could get EigenBrowser to change it's lists.

Could someone follow up with any additional details on this? I'm sure I have misunderstood.

Is it possible yet to include the instructions for selecting ASIO in the startup script?

Thanks.

Randy Brown

written by: sam

Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:35:09 +0100 BST

Hi Randy,

As Jim mentioned above, there are some problems with ASIO support in the current Windows unstable release. Jim is planning to make a new Windows release including fixes for ASIO shortly - we will keep you posted.

In terms of selecting the audio driver, you do not need to hold down all the keys at the same time. I will try to expand on the previous instructions (if you have your Quick Reference Guide to hand this will help):

1. Ensure you have EigenD and the EigenBrowser running (select 'EigenBrowser' from the Tools menu to start this application). Press and hold the main mode key and select the key marked '4. Instrument/FX Control' in the Contents page. You will see the LED adjacent to that key change from red to green - now release the main mode key.

2. Turn to page 4 of the guide and press and hold the key marked 'mode key'. The right hand strip of keys on the diagram are now available for selection - select the key marked 'MIDI and Audio control'. The LED adjacent to that key will change from red to green - now release the 'mode key'.

3. Turn to page 15 of the guide and press the key marked 'Audio port browse'. This will display all the available audio ports for selection in the left hand pane on the EigenBrowser.

I hope this has clarified the situation, please do not hesitate to ask if you need any more help.

Sam
Eigenlabs

Thu, 14 Oct 2010 01:37:43 +0100 BST

Thanks, Sam. The clarified steps helped. Changed to the ASIO driver just fine.

I will say that I was not expecting the poor quality (extreme fuzzy/distortion) after switching to ASIO. Under normal circumstances this would not be the case. So, will await the update.

In the meantime, the default is usable (with the intermittent crackling that is listed in the release docs).

Thanks, again for the followup.

Randy Brown

Please log in to join the discussions