Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: My first real Alpha video

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

Great article on CDM. Yes, it was quite useful info.

m

written by: geert

Mon, 6 Sep 2010 18:43:24 +0100 BST

Hey everyone,

It's taken me a while, but I finally got around to recording a full song on the Eigenharp Alpha. It's a cover song of Battlestar Galactica's Cylon theme with quite some additional personal arrangements.

Hope you like it:
http://youtu.be/Kks6LZu8k_U

Take care,

Geert

Mon, 6 Sep 2010 21:30:24 +0100 BST

Great work. It would be interesting to hear how you approached each section.

Mon, 6 Sep 2010 22:16:36 +0100 BST

Anything in particular you're interested in?

written by: 0beron

Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:49:15 +0100 BST

What AU do you use for the electric guitar? Is that electri6ity? Love the expression you got out of it whatever it is.

Nice how you stop the metronome at one point, then start it again early enough for your recordings to start playback at the right time.

Having said that, this is something it would be nice not to have to do in future - ie have some way of playing a first layer of a loop without having the drums on the speakers, or shuffling the start times of all recordings so you aren't forced to have four bars of drums before everything.

Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:54:46 +0100 BST

It's Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry (http://www.orangetreesamples.com/evolution-electric-guitar). I also have Electri6ity but I don't find it as playable or intuitive.

There's a way to play the first layer of a loop actually, with some tricks. I did it before with the Pico. Since EigenD sends out MIDI clock sync, you can send out a click on a separate channel just to your headphones, start the scheduler without any drum channels, record, and only then turn on the drums.

written by: 0beron

Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:43:58 +0100 BST

Ah - so you have headphones connected to your audio interface rather than to the back of the alpha? What do you use to generate the click based on the MIDI clock? Would something like logic or ableton be able to do this or is there something less heavyweight (a full blown DAW seems like a huge chunk of memory to use up just to pipe a click to your headphones...). How do you route your audio to send the clicks one way and everything else to your speakers and/or soundflower?

Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:48:25 +0100 BST

I use Bidule standalone to generate the click messages. I use a multi-channel audio interface to route the audio to different channels, that makes it trivial.

Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:30:59 +0100 BST

Geert - sorry to be slow getting back to you. I basically had the same questions about the execution of the piece. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if you have any general insights on the adaptation of the piece to the Alpha... arranging for Eigenharp as it were. I have yet to spend much time developing an approach to organizing a piece of music for this style of performance and input would be welcome. Perhaps it is a good topic for your blog?

Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:11:14 +0100 BST

Hey Mike,

I'm also sorry for having been so slow to reply to this, but I thought your request was such a great idea that I actually got it posted with others on CDM:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/09/23/alternative-controllers-eigenharp-users-reflect-on-playing-a-new-kind-of-instrument/

Hope that gives you some useful information.

Take care,

Geert

Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:56:32 +0100 BST

Great article on CDM. Yes, it was quite useful info.

m

Please log in to join the discussions