Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Scripting language description

Most Recent

written by: EdisonRex

It would be helpful to have some kind of audio-visual tutorial (I realise there was talk of a Skype-based demo, I'm thinking more like a YouTube video) just to help with getting over the initial hurdles with EigenCommander and Belcanto.

In my case, I rarely manage to get a Belcanto command to actually interpret properly using Belcanto on the Alpha. If I type a command ("sampler 1 hey") in Eigencommander I will get a success return. Frequently trying to key it in via the Alpha yields much more bizarre results, like 2 1 3 5 not being interpreted as "sampler", with varying alternative meanings ("9 3 hey", "2 1 3 5" in red, etc) being given. Verying the speed of the cadence played gives me inconclusive results, although in general what I was trying to type is not what is interpreted.

Although I can type Belcanto commands into EigenCommander, I'd rather be keying cadences via the Alpha.

written by: dhjdhj

Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:53:12 +0100 BST

Is there a BNF grammar for the scripting language? I cannot find anything that explains the syntax of this scripting environment, definitions of all the keywords, how to create syntactically and semantically valid "statements" so as to create my own scripts.

For example, what do the following "statements" actually mean and why do they seem to be german style with verbs at the end? Is this a stack-based RPN style (or Forth-like) language?

empty join group 1 listen
tonic to notea set
course 2 offset to 5 interval set

(P.S. I looked through http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/The_Belcanto_Introduction/ but frankly it's not really helpful unless you already understand the system deeply)

written by: ivan

Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:56:36 +0100 BST

+1... better (more detailed) description of the language is needed.

written by: EdisonRex

Thu, 2 Sep 2010 14:01:34 +0100 BST

It would be helpful to have some kind of audio-visual tutorial (I realise there was talk of a Skype-based demo, I'm thinking more like a YouTube video) just to help with getting over the initial hurdles with EigenCommander and Belcanto.

In my case, I rarely manage to get a Belcanto command to actually interpret properly using Belcanto on the Alpha. If I type a command ("sampler 1 hey") in Eigencommander I will get a success return. Frequently trying to key it in via the Alpha yields much more bizarre results, like 2 1 3 5 not being interpreted as "sampler", with varying alternative meanings ("9 3 hey", "2 1 3 5" in red, etc) being given. Verying the speed of the cadence played gives me inconclusive results, although in general what I was trying to type is not what is interpreted.

Although I can type Belcanto commands into EigenCommander, I'd rather be keying cadences via the Alpha.

Please log in to join the discussions