Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Playing a sample backwards

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

Interesting looking effect plugin (note that it IS an effect plugin). I think I'd need to hear a couple of examples before jumping in to this. It sounds like the principle application would be against audio tracks in a DAW.

Basically it is a 'reverb' that plays back reversed or cycling snippets instead of echos ... isn't it?

It is not clear from their page that this plugin in controllable other than via the GUI (note that their other, more expensive, one is).

I think you are basically looking for a sample player that has a controllable parameter for loop direction (at a minimum), Nicer would be to have an additional control for current sample location.

This is not really an eigenharp-specific thing. If the plugin has a useful control that it exposes to the host (EigenD) then you can assign that to a controller. You might want to experiment with this with plugins you already have by clicking 'configure' on the top left of the plugin window.

written by: ivan

Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:59:33 +0100 BST

Hi,

Is there a possiblity with Eigenharp/EigenD/Belcanto to play a sample in reverse order?

Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:33:59 +0100 BST

If you have Reason, I think the NN-XT sampler can be set to play in reverse. The setting is under play mode.

While we are at it wouldn't it be interesting to be able to set key yaw to scratch a sample

Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:46:48 +0100 BST

I don't use Reason. I was curious if it can be achieved by EigenD capabilities. Or should we use say some Audio Unit for playing reverse? EigenD with Belcanto seems very powerful thingy, so I was thinking (hoping) it can done or programmed additionally if needed.
And btw, you touched the topic I am actually coming too.. possibility to scratch any sound.. back and forth, possibility to control the speed of playing a sample (back and forth) say by using strip controller.. but all these are next questions, first I wanted to get the basics (if it would be possible at all).

Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:25:50 +0100 BST

Well, a quick look here: http://eigenlabs.com/wiki/Sampler_Oscillator/
does not uncover anything likely

It might be more productive to search for a plugin that does this and that can be assigned a control input via configure.

Alchemy does not seem to do this either (they explicitly state that the loop start and end cannot be reversed.

Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:53:18 +0100 BST

There is Backwards Machine plugin that supports reverse playback, but I have no idea if I can configure, say, strip controller to use plugin's feature and play a sample back and forth (that's just example, maybe there is some other way to achieve the same, like pushing a button up and down, etc).

It would be nice to get at least some reply from Eigenlab guys as well. Eigenharp is a cool device but not so widely used yet, so you guys are the only experts so far and the community cannot grow without your support, imho.

Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:40:16 +0100 BST

Interesting looking effect plugin (note that it IS an effect plugin). I think I'd need to hear a couple of examples before jumping in to this. It sounds like the principle application would be against audio tracks in a DAW.

Basically it is a 'reverb' that plays back reversed or cycling snippets instead of echos ... isn't it?

It is not clear from their page that this plugin in controllable other than via the GUI (note that their other, more expensive, one is).

I think you are basically looking for a sample player that has a controllable parameter for loop direction (at a minimum), Nicer would be to have an additional control for current sample location.

This is not really an eigenharp-specific thing. If the plugin has a useful control that it exposes to the host (EigenD) then you can assign that to a controller. You might want to experiment with this with plugins you already have by clicking 'configure' on the top left of the plugin window.

Please log in to join the discussions