Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Some beginner questions

Most Recent

written by: esperdiv

I finally discovered that the Alpha "hangs" or lights up weird combinations of lights (seemingly randomly) when I use the Modart Pianoteq AU.

By sticking to the Alchemy player or included instruments, this problem does not seem to appear.

Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:15:51 +0100 BST

Hey everyone, received my Alpha yesterday and it's great fun. However, I have a few questions. I cannot seem to find answers through a google search, the FAQ or these forums so I'll ask away at you "old timers":

1) How do I change the default sound card? I have an external card and wish to use it but EigenD only plays on my internal sound card.
2) When using the EigenD browser, it always seems to change Audio Unit 1. How can I access the samplers or other audio units?

That's all for now. A lot to learn!

Thank you

written by: 0beron

Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:40:06 +0100 BST

Hi esperdiv, great to see another Alpha player is out there, there are more and more of us :)

To change the audio device that EigenD plays through, you need to open the mixer page on the Alpha itself. To do this, press and hold the main mode key (the bottom left key on the whole keyboard) and then go into split 1 by pressing the top button in the column that lights up above the mode key (not the one right at the very top, just at the top of the small group that appears near the main mode key.). Let go of all the keys and that puts you in split 1.

Now press and hold the keygroup mode key for keygroup 1, which is in the left hand column, 1 row up from the bottom, so one key higher up than the main mode key. You should see the instrument selection lights for keygroup 1, but higher up near the top of the keyboard are the advanced controls. These controls are described on page 13 of the Alpha reference guide

About 1/3rd of the way down from the top there's a little L shape of 3 lit up keys, press the uppermost leftmost one of those 3 (which is key number 3 on page 13 above), and release it and the keygroup mode key and this is the mixer page.

It should look like 3 big groups of orange lights and some more multicoloured lights near the bottom. The mixer is on page 15 of the ref guide. Now make sure the browser is open, and press the key in the left hand column, six rows up from the bottom (this is the key labelled #1 on page 15, audio device browse). The browser should then list the soundcards on your machine, and you can pick one with the mouse or with the scroll keys on the alpha.

For changing samplers and audio units etc, you use the advanced controls again, so in split 1 as before, press and hold the keygroup mode key (left hand column, 1 up from bottom), then look at the top of the keyboard. The advanced controls are on page 13 of the reference guide, press the one for the sampler or AU you want change (they are laid out in the same pattern as the instrument selection keys, just higher up the keyboard). Let go of the keygroup mode key, and for each instrument there is a slightly different page of keys, but all of them should have a browse key in column one, 6 rows up (in the same place as the audio device browse in the mixer). Pressing this key while the brower is open lets you pick the sampler or AU to go in the slot you are editing.

Hope this helps, any other questions just reply here.

Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:56:56 +0100 BST

A great big thank you, Oberon. I had not realized that I needed to change the soundcard through the instrument itself and was looking for a "pure" software solution.

It makes perfect sense and I'll give it a go.

Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:58:27 +0100 BST

Just another quickie. Have you found, in your experience, that you improved your playing of unwanted pitch bends over time with the Alpha? This is the part I most struggle with now as the keys are so sensitive (in a delightful way) but often cause unwanted pitch bends...

Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:32:52 +0100 BST

Yes it's something that you can improve on by practising, although I find that some of the instruments are more sensitive than others - I think the default response curves for the AU instruments is maybe linear - (the default alchemy setup seems very sensitive to bending). The native instruments like the clarinet and cello have a quadratic or cubic curve (or at least the physical models respond more slowly to bending making it easier to play straight notes or vibrato/bending as you choose.).

It is possible to adjust the curves or turn off bending altogether although this involves direct use of the belcanto language at the moment and I'd have to work it out while sitting with my Alpha.

Not sure if you know already, but there will (hopefully soon , hint!! ) be another component added to the EigenD system called the workbench that will allow many more of these parameters to be controlled and rerouted using a graphical tool and less scripting and button pushing.

Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:24:42 +0100 BST

I've read about this "workbench" from other forum posts but it sorta seems like a unicorn to me. Everyone talks about it but no one's every seen it!

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 00:44:19 +0100 BST

It does exist - I saw an early version that was on Dave's demo rig when I bought my alpha last year. Very cool, you can scroll it around with one key on the alpha, but it let's you wire up parts of the system with graphical wires between the other agents making up the system.

written by: geert

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:18:54 +0100 BST

I can assure you that it exists and that it's well on its way. It looks already very polished, lightyears ahead of what you have seen before, 0beron. We've gotten a fair amount of remarks about the barebones graphical nature of the current EigenD software. As a user, before I joined Eigenlabs, I was personally happy that the release of the instruments wasn't delayed just for software GUI reasons. For the new major version of the software though, we're taking the time required to have a good foundation for the GUI and have involved graphical designers to figure out suitable representations of the advanced concepts in Belcanto as well as coming up with a natural interaction model. Getting this all to behave correctly, feel right and be stable just takes time, but it's getting there. Esperdiv, just hang in there, I'm convinced that you'll be pleasantly surprised by the new stuff that will be coming out in the near future.

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Department

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:54:01 +0100 BST

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you, 0beron. Your explanation worked flawlessly.

If I may ask another.

I'm in this situation: Using Audio Unit 1.
I select the keygroup mode key and select the change scale key
Let go of the keygroup mode key.
Choose a scale.

The only way I have found to go back to playing the instrument is by holding the keygroup mode key, then selecting Audio Unit 1 again.

Is there a quicker way to exit out of the 'scale panel' (or any other for that matter) and return to the instrument that I was previously playing (in this case AU-1)?

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:14:28 +0100 BST

Since you would need to press something (or at least I would not want the panel to close automatically after pressing a scale and tonic as I often leave it open in a keygroup) it would seem that selecting a voice is as easy as any other way. It also seems consistent with always telling a key group to go to some mode (in the is case an instrument mode) as a sort of prefix.

That said one might imagine an 'esc' key that takes a key group to the last active instrument. where would you suggest placing such a key?

Cheers,m

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:29:17 +0100 BST

Keep in mind that I'm very new at this! However, here is the mistake I consistently make. It may make some sense or it may not.

After having changed a parameter in a "panel", I always press the keygroup mode key without making a new selection and letting it go, thinking it'll bring me back to my starting point.

So that would be my suggestion.

written by: NothanUmber

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 23:43:31 +0100 BST

geert said:
we're taking the time required to have a good foundation for the GUI

Will this new version be a simultaneous release for both Mac and Windows or is all new development done for Mac first and then ported to Windows later on when time permits?

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 01:31:56 +0100 BST

Also, is it normal that my alpha "freezes" sometimes. If I play real fast, it'll lock up. Software still responds but keys on the alpha won't light up and no sound is produced. I have to quit EigenD and restart it...

I'm using 1.0.14

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:23:45 +0100 BST

NothanUmber said:
geert said:
we're taking the time required to have a good foundation for the GUI
Will this new version be a simultaneous release for both Mac and Windows or is all new development done for Mac first and then ported to Windows later on when time permits?

It is done simultaneously :-)

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:26:22 +0100 BST

esperdiv said:
Also, is it normal that my alpha "freezes" sometimes. If I play real fast, it'll lock up. Software still responds but keys on the alpha won't light up and no sound is produced. I have to quit EigenD and restart it...

I'm using 1.0.14

Hi esperdiv,

That definitely doesn't right, I suggest you submit a bug report from within EigenD. It might also be interesting to install the latest testing release 1.1.11, a lot of improvements have been made to 1.0.14 and we're getting close to stable with it. You can install both alongside each-other and switch back to 1.0.14 if you prefer. I personally having used any of the 1.0.x releases in months and always play with the 1.1.x versions.

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:29:12 +0100 BST

esperdiv said:
Just wanted to say a big thank you to you, 0beron. Your explanation worked flawlessly.

If I may ask another.

I'm in this situation: Using Audio Unit 1.
I select the keygroup mode key and select the change scale key
Let go of the keygroup mode key.
Choose a scale.

The only way I have found to go back to playing the instrument is by holding the keygroup mode key, then selecting Audio Unit 1 again.

Is there a quicker way to exit out of the 'scale panel' (or any other for that matter) and return to the instrument that I was previously playing (in this case AU-1)?

The way I do this is to use split 2 or split 3 and set the small keygroup permanently in scale and tonic selection mode. As explained on page 12 in the Alpha factory setup guide, you can use the scale mode key to control the tunings of another keygroup. Using split 2, you'd set it to change keygroup 3 and using split 3 you'd set it to change keygroup 4.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:40:49 +0100 BST

I finally discovered that the Alpha "hangs" or lights up weird combinations of lights (seemingly randomly) when I use the Modart Pianoteq AU.

By sticking to the Alchemy player or included instruments, this problem does not seem to appear.

Please log in to join the discussions