Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Is there a list of 3rd party AUs with which the Alpha is know to work properly?

Most Recent

written by: geert

On the Alpha there's an advanced MIDI Out 1 and 2 mode where you can directly select the channel. Refer to the Alpha factory setup guide page 16. You can select individual channels there or set it to poly mode (P). Page 13 shows you how to get to the advanced MIDI Out configuration mode.

Hope this helps,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: dhjdhj

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 13:34:18 +0100 BST

I just received my Alpha, getting ready to install the software and downloaded the latest release. Reading through the "Known Issues", I see that there are quite a few comments about EigenD not working properly with some AUs. Now, I'm not sure how, as an end user, I'm supposed to know that a particular AU uses a Cocoa GUI (as opposed to what, Carbon?) and so I'd be interested in seeing a list of 3rd party AUs that are known to work.

Thanks,
David

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:12:13 +0100 BST

That would be an interesting list to have and a good addition to the WIKI.

I successfully use EAST/West AUs (Play), Guitar Rig Pro (effect)

Finally, Bidule is a good work-around if you need one.

m

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:53:33 +0100 BST

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:53:08 +0100 BST

I added a WIKI entry. Pleas DO add to it

see here: AU WIKI Entry

written by: 0beron

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 19:58:49 +0100 BST

I thought that the more recent versions of eigend did support cocoa?

Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:50:06 +0100 BST

The latest test version (and perhaps some earlier versions) seem to support both AU and VSTs. Any reason to use one kind over the other when just using EigenD?

The AAS AUs work beautifully. In particular, String Studio is wild with the Eigenharp ---- the Sitar is extremely playable "out of the box"

Is there a way to chain multiple AUs together within the EigenD host? I'd like to be able to feed the output of one AU into the input of other AUs (both in series and in parallel)?

Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:51:43 +0100 BST

I have found that Omnisphere does not seem to work with the latest test version. I had it working perfectly with the older official release.

Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:58:52 +0100 BST

RealGuitar2 works very well --- it's interesting to put it in chord mode and then "strum" the Eigenharp

written by: Lowdene

Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:03:28 +0100 BST

I've had problems with Kontact 4 (on different instruments) that I just haven't had time to get to the bottom of... Sometimes seems to work OK and then at other times lots of notes go missing.

Regards

Nick

Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:24:41 +0100 BST

I have kontact 4 working fine but I had to set the input to omni. I'm assuming that different keys are being transmitted in different midi channels (which will be useful once I have learned more) but to get a feel for the physical instrument, omni mode is fine

Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:13:33 +0100 BST

"The AAS AUs work beautifully. In particular, String Studio is wild with the Eigenharp ---- the Sitar is extremely playable "out of the box" "

I bought AAS SS. The model itself seems quite complete, well thought out and provided with an appropriate set of control points.

That said I would not typify my out of the box experience as expressive.

I find the bowed instruments (my main interest) to be exceptionally static.

I'm running it as an AU and have experimented with configuring likely controllers with likely controls (for example breath with bow force) but with no real success.

Has anyone any experience / suggestions?

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 23 Aug 2010 20:23:37 +0100 BST

PolyAna and impOSCar might be worth a look.
Having neither an Alpha nor a Mac I couldn't test the AU versions of these plugins on the Alpha, but I was able to test the Windows versions of both plugins on the Pico.
The special thing about these two plugins is that they support a "guitar mode" which allows to bend each note individually. (Essentially it corresponds to "midi channel 0" of the eigenharps for which each note is sent on a separate midi channel and thus e.g. pitch bend which is global for all notes of a channel can be sent per note.)
(The Windows version of "midi channel 0" mode still behaves "strange" because of a bug that is described in the release notes but in many cases it nonetheless works)

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:54:44 +0100 BST

For what it's worth, I finally had time to figure out how to make the Eigenharp work with MIDI and get it going with MainStage. Along the way, I ran the Snoize MIDI Monitor tool and I can see what's going on, at least in the default layout that I"m using.

If you touch a key and then touch another key without releasing the first key, the Alpha sends the new NoteOn event on a new MIDI channel. It keeps doing that as you press more keys without releasing previous ones....I'm not quite sure what to make of that, I'm finding it to be very awkward to deal with but that explains why one would have trouble with some synths when not in omni mode.

I'd much prefer it to play all notes using the same channel in the same layout and then have different MIDI channels in different layouts --- I can also see the value in having each key column on separate channels for some things.

How hard is it to set such configuration?

dhjdhj said:
I have kontact 4 working fine but I had to set the input to omni. I'm assuming that different keys are being transmitted in different midi channels (which will be useful once I have learned more) but to get a feel for the physical instrument, omni mode is fine

written by: NothanUmber

Thu, 26 Aug 2010 23:28:39 +0100 BST

According to the wiki, something along the line

midi controller 1 hey midi channel to 1 set

should restrict all notes for controller 1 to midi channel 1. (to return to poly mode set the channel back to 0)

written by: geert

Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:14:32 +0100 BST

On the Alpha there's an advanced MIDI Out 1 and 2 mode where you can directly select the channel. Refer to the Alpha factory setup guide page 16. You can select individual channels there or set it to poly mode (P). Page 13 shows you how to get to the advanced MIDI Out configuration mode.

Hope this helps,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Department

Please log in to join the discussions