Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Belcanto note representation isn't consistent

Most Recent

written by: geert

Same here, but I had the wiki and the commander open at the same time, and then it really sprung out.

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:10:46 +0100 BST

Hey,

I started learning Belcanto again and noticed that the notes in the EigenCommander and the notes used on the Wiki don't correspond. The commander starts at E, while the wiki starts at C. This is a little confusing to visually work with.

Is it possible to change either of those (I suppose the Wiki is easier to change as it doesn't require a software upgrade).

Take care,

Geert

written by: john

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:25:50 +0100 BST

The commander is scheduled for a change, we just haven't got to it yet. A number of people complained that being in the Phyrigian mode of C (which is what the commander shows) is a bit too technical for most, and confusing, so when we wrote the Wiki we changed it to plain C. It was that or add a key signature to all the staffs, which was going to be very small.

John

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:44:13 +0100 BST

Ah, ok the Phrygian mode didn't occur to me. Sounds like a good idea indeed to use the Ionian mode instead throughout.

written by: 0beron

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:04:29 +0100 BST

You've got a sharp eye - I hadn't noticed! I don't remember the sequences in terms of notes, I remember the numbers instead ( a bit like the way I prefer the chromatic fingering mode and prefer to play in degrees of the scale rather than absolute pitches).

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:06:44 +0100 BST

Same here, but I had the wiki and the commander open at the same time, and then it really sprung out.

Please log in to join the discussions