Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Core files

Most Recent

written by: sam

Hi all,

Thank you all for your posts - this will be fixed in the next release of EigenD.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: 0beron

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 02:04:59 +0100 BST

I made a discovery today about core files on Mac OS. It seems whenever an application crashes in a certain way, it's memory image is written into a hidden folder on Mac OS: /cores

Since EigenD crashes occasionally, and when it does it usually has grabbed all the memory on your system for soundfonts and AUs, these files can be BIG. There's 60 odd gigs worth on my system!
I found some instructions on how to remove them and prevent future core files being created here:
http://blog.e-shell.org/14

written by: Tenebrous

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:11:00 +0100 BST

Oh, good tip! I had wondered where my disk space was going!

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 16 Jul 2010 02:49:17 +0100 BST

yes - I just saved 70G

written by: 0beron

Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:23:55 +0100 BST

I can recommend the tool DiskInventoryX , which displays the contents of your drive as a treemap. The bigger files and folders show up as giant rectangles, and hovering over them displays the path to them. My display is dominated by the Omnisphere and Trilian core libraries, and the core files which amounted to about the same size by then! Also iMovie tends to copy stuff a lot so I moved all my video projects onto an external drive.

written by: sam

Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:17:00 +0100 BST

Hi all,

Thank you all for your posts - this will be fixed in the next release of EigenD.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Please log in to join the discussions