Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Learning Belcanto

Most Recent

written by: NothanUmber

The "definite guide to Belcanto" has not been written - yet :)

But there are some sources:
* As you mentioned there is the Wiki (http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.3/Belcanto/) - especially have a look at the introduction and the "MIDI from scratch" example scripts below, those are invaluable when trying to understand the basic setup
* the seminars are quite informative (yes, some are difficult to understand..)
* have a look at the example scripts in the Eigenlabs Program and user folder
* look at the examples at the end of each agent description in the wiki, this usually shows some Belcanto lines that are usually used in the context of this agent
* last but not least: you can retrieve much from the Belcanto that is "spoken" inside of the Pico standard setup:
Start Stage, first open the lock and then click the "+" button. A list of (almost) all agents in the setup pops up. Look for everything with the name "talker" in it. (It helps to have seen this seminar: http://webdev.eigenlabs.com/wiki/Talkers_and_Controllers ) Essentially a talker "speaks" Belcanto phrases based on keys pressed that it's connected to. The neat thing: You can ask a talker what it says for each key - I learned quite a lot from that!
Just open the EigenBrowser and type into the EigenCommander:

"eigenbrowser hey [talker name] phrase browse", e.g. for the talker that changes the scales in the Pico standard setup this would be:
eigenbrowser hey talker 4 phrase browse
Then you see how it accomplishes to change the scales. With the infos from the talker seminar you can start to experiment with these talkers, e.g. reconfigure the scale talker that it also changes the layout - whatever

Have fun :)

written by: geert

Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:36:43 +0100 BST

Hi everyone,

A while ago I started learning Belcanto from the Wiki reference but stopped doing so due to time constraints. Now I'm thinking of getting back into it and I'm wondering if others have already gone further than me. Any tips to facilitate the learning of the Belcanto commands?

The actual musical phrases seem very random to me and I don't see me learning them by hard in any other way than just crude repetition and rehearsal. Did anyone discover a logic behind it? Has anyone already started learning them by hard?

Thanks,

Geert

written by: roblohr85

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 03:54:51 +0100 BST

I too am very interested in any responses. It's coming up on my to-do list and to be honest seems a bit overwhelming and on the random side. Any insights, advice, or pattern to it?

written by: john

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:13:53 +0100 BST

The organisation of the note sequences that form Belcanto words is not driven by a logical structure connected with the notes themselves but purely by the ergonomics. Often used words are both shorter and also are played in a 'hand rocking' fashion, so that one should not need to double tap a single note (which is always slower and harder). Commonly used word combination's should also be nice to play in a fluid way as a sequence.

Last year we spent quite a bit of time tuning the lexicon along these lines, and it did seem more important to get the ergonomics right at the expense of making the vocabulary follow a logical schema. This is of course a trade off between ease of learning and eventual ease of use, but since Belcanto is regarded as a 'power player' kind of facility, we made the tradeoff for eventual playability.

It's actually not that hard to learn the whole lexicon - Sam and Dave did it in around two weeks. They just learned it, away from the instrument, in the same way one learns vocab when learning a foreign language. I actually set an exam (I am a horrible man), giving them a week to get it right (along with all the million other things they had to do last summer) and they both got 100% over 50 questions, which impressed me no end. So it's certainly possible, even not that difficult, to learn the vocbulary. Physical ease with playing it, coupled with knowing what the words do and how to use them, is just a matter of practice, just like every other thing in music. A few minutes a day spread over a couple of months and you will get good at it. It's just the small matter (!) of finding that couple of minutes, and persisting through all the inevitable frustrations that you will bump into in that time.

Just as a note, all words starting with '8' are temporary assignments - we usually add vocabulary and see how its used before putting a word in it's permanent home - so please don't get upset when I move them from there later.

If there is sufficient interest, we can arrange some Skype tutorial sessions with Dave for a group of Belcanto learners, please post here if you are interested. I am genuinely excited by the prospect that some of our players are now moving on to have a go with this feature and we'll help you if we can, along with welcoming comments on it's improvement from people learning.

John

written by: geert

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:56:41 +0100 BST

Thanks for the explanation John! Definitely count me in for the Skype tutorial sessions! :-)

written by: 0beron

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:31:46 +0100 BST

Oooh... Sign me up for the skypeinar...

written by: keyman

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:02:01 +0100 BST

Well... from time to time i do "mess around" with belcanto...woul'd mind entering a Skype tutorial session!

Keyman

written by: Tenebrous

Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:07:58 +0100 BST

Interested!

written by: catoro

Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:34:48 +0100 BST

me too!!!

Cheers..

Carlos

written by: citizen mori

Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:39:02 +0100 BST

i'd be glad to sit in, yes!

written by: laurence

Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:22:02 +0100 BST

me too please

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:38:15 +0100 BST

I'm interested as well but, as an aside, there is a phrase "scale to blues set" mentioned in the intro. Given that the scales can be changed, seems a bit strange to me.

Is this the same as "scale to 5 set" (and does that work? / would that not be more clear when scale 5 is other than blues?)

written by: aaronw

Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:26:08 +0100 BST

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post, the phrase "scale to blues" set will set the keygroup's scale to blues regardless of what you have loaded in to scale slot number 5. This is not the same as saying "scale to 5 set" which will not work.

Here is how you change the scale of a keygroup using belcanto:

First say:

" kgroup X hey "

X is the number of the keygroup you wish to edit, these are the same numbers as you can find in the setup guide.

Next say:

" scale to Y set "

Y can be the name of any scale e.g. "blues", "flamenco", or "japanese". The scale does not need to already be loaded in to one of the eight scale slots.

I hope this makes sense, please do let me know if you need any more help.

Regards

Aaron
Customer Support

written by: mikemilton

Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:50:28 +0100 BST

Thanks - as always, that is a useful clarification, m

written by: roblohr85

Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:47:21 +0100 BST

That was a great explanation John. It makes a lot of sense to set it up with playability in mind. Count me in for the Skype tutorial!

written by: dhjdhj

Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:36:53 +0100 BST

Why not allow chord combinations?

john said:
The organisation of the note sequences that form Belcanto words is not driven by a logical structure connected with the notes themselves but purely by the ergonomics. Often used words are both shorter and also are played in a 'hand rocking' fashion, so that one should not need to double tap a single note (which is always slower and harder). Commonly used word combination's should also be nice to play in a fluid way as a sequence.

written by: Ilovehateoregon

Wed, 25 Aug 2010 02:29:28 +0100 BST

I wanna see the skype tutorial!!

written by: Bjoern

Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:22:46 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

just reviving this thread!

Could somebody share a set of links for learning belcanto?

There's the reference on the eigenlabs wiki, and I guess some videos in the eigenlabs youtube channel (some with practically inaudible audio).

But I haven't really found a good introduction yet ... Any thoughts?

Bjoern

written by: NothanUmber

Thu, 8 Dec 2011 18:49:54 +0000 GMT

The "definite guide to Belcanto" has not been written - yet :)

But there are some sources:
* As you mentioned there is the Wiki (http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.3/Belcanto/) - especially have a look at the introduction and the "MIDI from scratch" example scripts below, those are invaluable when trying to understand the basic setup
* the seminars are quite informative (yes, some are difficult to understand..)
* have a look at the example scripts in the Eigenlabs Program and user folder
* look at the examples at the end of each agent description in the wiki, this usually shows some Belcanto lines that are usually used in the context of this agent
* last but not least: you can retrieve much from the Belcanto that is "spoken" inside of the Pico standard setup:
Start Stage, first open the lock and then click the "+" button. A list of (almost) all agents in the setup pops up. Look for everything with the name "talker" in it. (It helps to have seen this seminar: http://webdev.eigenlabs.com/wiki/Talkers_and_Controllers ) Essentially a talker "speaks" Belcanto phrases based on keys pressed that it's connected to. The neat thing: You can ask a talker what it says for each key - I learned quite a lot from that!
Just open the EigenBrowser and type into the EigenCommander:

"eigenbrowser hey [talker name] phrase browse", e.g. for the talker that changes the scales in the Pico standard setup this would be:
eigenbrowser hey talker 4 phrase browse
Then you see how it accomplishes to change the scales. With the infos from the talker seminar you can start to experiment with these talkers, e.g. reconfigure the scale talker that it also changes the layout - whatever

Have fun :)

Please log in to join the discussions