Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Some questions from a beginner.

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

To RSDan

You had mentioned visualization of the keyboard in action and that is something many of us would really like to have.

The only working thing I've seen is based on QuartzComposer. It was more of a performance thing (a good one, but different than what you are discussing. I toyed about for a bit and could get simple (and boring) stuff to happen. You might want to try your luck.

It is also true that Motion (part of FinalCutStudio) allows for parameters to be midi driven. I had a *lot* more luck with this but I'm guessing it is not widely used by us all.

All this lead to a discussion of notation and the realization (for me) that the loop of notation -> performance -> visualization can, in fact, be closed in which case notation *is* visualization.

Have a look at this Scores that move. Although I suspect it is fudged, it would be really nice to have an EigenD plugin that visually captures a performance as some form of moving score. Not the form shown at the link but one which is more keyboard based and that could serve as both performance visualization and, later as a score.

I'm intrigued by the thought of a representation of playing that can serve both as a visualization derived from a performance as well as notation leading to other performances.

m

written by: Redstar_Dan

Thu, 1 Jul 2010 00:49:12 +0100 BST

Hello again,

Could one recommend some decent Audio Units for re-creating guitar style setup on the Alpha. I have been watching on youtube and reading up on a software package called Electri6ity. Has anybody used this with their Alpha? I have been playing around with a software called Strum Electric GS-1. I can see the potential this has however I am finding it hard to play due to the awkward mapping that the software has given. Is it at all possible to re-map the kayboard at all on the Alpha? It would be so awesome to have open strings say on the percussion keys and then also map each column as an open string, using the rows as the fret positions.

Is there a simple way of working out cords on the Alphas keyboard. Does anything exist at the moment which could give an onscreen presentation of what notes/chords one is playing. If I take an instrument like a saxaphone for example, is there anyway to have on screen a visual representation of what fingerings i am using.

GS-1 Link for thoes that are interested.
http://www.applied-acoustics.com/strumelectric/overview/

written by: Tenebrous

Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:57:16 +0100 BST

Hey there :)

After watching all the youtube videos about Electri6ity I went ahead and bought it - I have to say it's an absolute joy to play live on the Alpha.

I recorded a couple of really (I mean REALLY) rough sessions with it - here's one of them:
Alpha + Electri6ity practice session

I found that in the Alpha factory setups, the arrangement of the keys on the Alpha is pretty similar to a guitars. One of the forum members, Mike Milton, posted a diagram:
Mike's Alpha C-major keyboard layout

written by: Tenebrous

Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:58:33 +0100 BST

Oh, one thing I would say is that you need a lot of memory for sample-based instruments like Electri6ity. I'm running with 4gb and it seems fine for me. I struggled on 2gb.

written by: prstorms

Fri, 9 Jul 2010 22:10:36 +0100 BST

I'm more interested in the acoustic samples provided in Vir2's Acoustic Legends HD product. I assume that installation and use is very similar. Any chance you could take us through the installation process and setup of Electri6ity?
Thanks!

written by: barnone

Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:26:02 +0100 BST

Acoustic Bass is awesome in Spectrasonics Trillian

written by: geert

Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:18:59 +0100 BST

Pettinhouse Acoustic guitar works quite well:
http://www.pettinhouse.com/html/acousticguitar_for_konatkt.html

I'd hold off to buy any acoustic guitar product though since Orange Tree Samples is working on a product that should be released in a couple of weeks: http://www.orangetreesamples.com/

written by: prstorms

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:43:05 +0100 BST

I'm also very interested in Trillian! Please tell me about your experience, barnone. I'm particularly interested in how you install and use it (how to call it up, for instance). Yes, these are Alpha 101 questions, but I'm struggling to get a proper foothold on the instrument, and this would help.

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:55:15 +0100 BST

@prstorms, have you looked at the new Alpha video tutorials http://www.eigenlabs.com/downloads/tutorials/tag/alpha/

written by: Lowdene

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:37:44 +0100 BST

Tenebrous

I'm having trouble using the alpha with Electi6ity using MIDI-out of EigenD. Notes don't sound except occasionally. I've plenty of RAM and processing power and it works fine with a normal keyboard. Did you do anything special to adjust the set-up to accommodate the Eigenharp? Did you remap any cc?

Regards, Nick

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:26:30 +0100 BST

Nick, your audio unit is probably playing in polyphonic mode, check the reference guide and put it on channel 1, then all sounds will play.

Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:12:16 +0100 BST

Hi Geert,

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought I had checked that but I will check again tonight. I'm sure it must be something like that.....

regards, Nick

written by: dhjdhj

Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:33:27 +0100 BST

RealGuitar from MusicLab is extremely good....I use that all the time from my keyboard rig, it's particularly good at strumming. I also have the AAS plugin but I don't like it nearly as much.

This afternoon, I tried RealGuitar quickly with the Eigenharp and it worked very well there too although of course until I have figured out how best to do keyboard mappings, I can only "dabble".

But I was able to "strum" very well.

written by: dhjdhj

Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:51:44 +0100 BST

Hmmm, Sugar Bytes has just announced Guitarist which looks very interesting.

Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:58:27 +0100 BST

I must say that the demos for guitarist are undewhelming

Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:54:55 +0100 BST

I like the idea behind it but, yes, the demos don't sound very guitar-like

Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:48:05 +0100 BST

To RSDan

You had mentioned visualization of the keyboard in action and that is something many of us would really like to have.

The only working thing I've seen is based on QuartzComposer. It was more of a performance thing (a good one, but different than what you are discussing. I toyed about for a bit and could get simple (and boring) stuff to happen. You might want to try your luck.

It is also true that Motion (part of FinalCutStudio) allows for parameters to be midi driven. I had a *lot* more luck with this but I'm guessing it is not widely used by us all.

All this lead to a discussion of notation and the realization (for me) that the loop of notation -> performance -> visualization can, in fact, be closed in which case notation *is* visualization.

Have a look at this Scores that move. Although I suspect it is fudged, it would be really nice to have an EigenD plugin that visually captures a performance as some form of moving score. Not the form shown at the link but one which is more keyboard based and that could serve as both performance visualization and, later as a score.

I'm intrigued by the thought of a representation of playing that can serve both as a visualization derived from a performance as well as notation leading to other performances.

m

Please log in to join the discussions