Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Recieved My Alpha, Breath Pipe.

Most Recent

written by: Lowdene

Mine was a very tight fit. I was a bit nervous about it at first, but now I just give it a hard push to get it in and a strong pull to get it out. I suspect this will shorten the life of the 'o' rings somewhat. From what people say it seems there is some variation in the tightness of the fit from unit to unit. Regards, Nick

written by: Redstar_Dan

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:13:05 +0100 BST

Hello everybody,

I am a proud new owner of an Alpha. I am still in the process of setting it up. I have a slight confusion in regards to the breath pipe. I cannot seem to securly slot the breath pipe into the slot on the Alpha. Is there a specific way of attatching the pipe to the Alpha, or is it purly a bit of force to get it to pop in?

I went with a Piano black finish, very happy with it :)

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:46:59 +0100 BST

Mine just pushed in. Although I'd characterize it as a hole (round) vs a slot.

Yes, it was a tight fit and so I also use a slight bit of recorder creme on the o-rings. Perhaps this is a good time to ask if this is advisable?

That is undoubtedly a striking finish. Pictures?

written by: Tenebrous

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:26:07 +0100 BST

Mine just pushed straight in too, no problem...

Also: Ooooh another piano-black finish owner! What did you go for with regards to the trim and the keys?

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:57:17 +0100 BST

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I will try adding a bit more force to see if it will pop in.

I went with the silver trim and plastic keys. I spoke with various people about having wooden keys, in the end I decided the wooden ebony keys would look quite strange against the deep black, so I opted for plastic. I had a feel of the ebony keys when I went to see a demo and I quite liked the feel of the plastic.

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:16:05 +0100 BST

Same here, I've got piano black + plastic keys, although I went with the rhodium trim.

I expect you're very proud :) Since you work in London, did you visit Eigenlabs at their offices in Covent Garden?

Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:25:07 +0100 BST

I sure did visit them, I was pretty much set on an Alpha before I went, I wanted to see what the Tau was like and actually hold an Alpha before I took the plunge. I personaly think the Alpha is awesome, it was alot of money well spent. Im looking forward to learning how to use it properly. I really believe that the plastic was the right choice for me now. No regrets what so ever. I also managed to pop the breath pipe in, however it took some force to actually get it to click in. How long have you had your Alpha?

Thu, 1 Jul 2010 00:28:02 +0100 BST

I got mine on May 25th and I totally agree, a lot of money well spent! I really really love playing it, and now I've bought some additional instruments it's really coming alive for me... for example Vir2's Electri6ity is sooo nice to play on the Alpha. I'm originally a keyboard player and while I learnt to play the guitar, I always end up playing it like a keyboard player... so that carries across really nicely to the Alpha ;)

written by: 0beron

Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:19:46 +0100 BST

Great to hear that you've taken the plunge on an Alpha - like you I went up to birmingham to try one out, while really being fairly set on the idea of buying one before I went :)

My breath pipe seems to fit reasonably snugly in the hole at the top of the Alpha - I often just twist it back and forth gently while pressing it in. Often the flange at the base of the breath pipe isn't _exactly_ flush with the top of the alpha, but this doesn't affect its operation. Like Mike I used a bit of recorder cream at first, but I'm beginning to think this isn't such a great idea based on the design of the pipe and the placement of the side holes.

I seem to have more trouble with the mouthpiece end of the pipe, although usually dabbing the o-rings with a wet finger seems to sort it. Maybe the same thing will help with the other end too.

After a few blockages in the side holes, I would advise that you don't leave the mouthpiece in place after playing for any length of time - take of the mouth piece and dry off the pipe.

written by: dhjdhj

Sat, 7 Aug 2010 17:55:20 +0100 BST

I have not been able to get the breath pipe inserted properly either....but I guess I'm supposed to just push harder....will try that.

written by: Lowdene

Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:09:41 +0100 BST

Mine was a very tight fit. I was a bit nervous about it at first, but now I just give it a hard push to get it in and a strong pull to get it out. I suspect this will shorten the life of the 'o' rings somewhat. From what people say it seems there is some variation in the tightness of the fit from unit to unit. Regards, Nick

Please log in to join the discussions