Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Soundfont authoring tools

Most Recent

written by: barnone

I really really like the redmatica stuff. Autosampler is amazing for sampling a midi audio source and automatically making a sample set. However there is no soundfont support.

So I build ,exs sets and use ChickenSys Translator to convert to sound fonts. ChickenSys UI is a bit lame although the latest version has gotten better. Neither software is cheap either.

written by: 0beron

Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:57:58 +0100 BST

What soundfont authoring tools have people used so far? I have a copy of Vienna Soundfont studio that came along with the XFi card in my windows vista desktop, but it doesn't seem to work correctly. Importing samples to a new soundfont fails every time with no indication as to why.

Are there any decent Mac based tools? Polyphontics is one that turns up a lot, but is it lacking things that Vienna does (or ought to do...)?

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:29:13 +0100 BST

I have yet to find anything good although I have had limited success with CDExtract (yuck). Setting aside the terrible interface it seems to work well with esx24 stuff (like all the jampacks) and *some* kontact stuff. Otherwise it fails to find the actual samples and gets lost in a loop of searching for them. I've been unsuccessful getting any response at all from their help people. Do not buy it unless you really need to. #fail

I'll demo my lack of basic understanding of soundfonts by guessing that one problem is that soundfonts also come in the form of multiple instrument libraries that are not useful in this context.

It will be a happy day when we can displace these with one or more 'real' sampler engines that are fully integrated. /rant

Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:34:58 +0100 BST

While we are at it, I'm trying to get the Sax Brothers to play inside Kontack (sp?) as an AU. Are you having any luck moving over stuff you played with your WX?

Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:45:36 +0100 BST

I've only ever played the WX through the VL70m, having never taken a laptop to gigs so far. I need to try out the newer EigenD releases to see if the MIDI bandwidth has come down to the point where the VL70m can handle it... !

Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:55:32 +0100 BST

Well, I DO know of a good VL70 editor if you are interested and I think I also know where you can get a VL1. Give me a shout and we can talk patches too.

Interestingly, when I was at a friend's recently, we were getting good results with his VL1s (he has a few hehehe). There is a lot of 'junk' data flowing however (like repeated values).

Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:42:54 +0100 BST

I'd like a VL1 - listening to the audio demos you can hear a massive difference from the VL70 and most other physical modelling synths. Having said that I've already been on a plugin and virtual instrument spending spree so probably couldn't afford one (mind you just finding one for sale is the hard part!).

I've got the original VL70 editor software from yamaha, although I'd need to buy an external floppy drive to read it! Is this other editor something different?

Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:41:25 +0100 BST

yes, the original editor is a bit of a challenge. Have a look here: VL One70

It is called VL ONE70 and is at the bottom. It has an 'interesting' UI but it works well once you figure it out.

PS: Bruno is not currently working on it but there is a lot of other good info at his site

m

written by: barnone

Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:08:52 +0100 BST

I really really like the redmatica stuff. Autosampler is amazing for sampling a midi audio source and automatically making a sample set. However there is no soundfont support.

So I build ,exs sets and use ChickenSys Translator to convert to sound fonts. ChickenSys UI is a bit lame although the latest version has gotten better. Neither software is cheap either.

Please log in to join the discussions