Forum rss-feed

Forum

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

Oh, BTW, as bar|none said, welcome, fellow travellers are always welcome!

Cost speculation aside, this is a great time to be involved and I really appreciate eigenlabs allowing (seeking) that involvement (at great effort and occasional aggravation I'm sure).

m

written by: biggy-g

Mon, 7 Jun 2010 23:26:47 +0100 BST

i heard that there was going to be a new software change for the eigen products that would make it even better and the price was going to go up in that event, is this true? that's why I got mine so soon, i didn't want to pay more for it and that with the upgrade if you already have one you won't be charged.for that up grade..... rumor or true?

written by: barnone

Tue, 8 Jun 2010 03:33:02 +0100 BST

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Yes, new software is coming but that would not change the price point. Price point would be set by the market for each level of instrument. Software is included with the harp and should become open source one day. At least, that is the promise.

Welcome though. Good time to join up.

Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:38:56 +0100 BST

Interesting two comments. I have no information, but...

eigenlabs have done a really good job of making their innovation available at a *very* low price point compared to their lead product. So far they have not charged for SW upgrades and the SW is identical across models (of course, the sw is a bit of a work in progress so far as well). Indeed, they have been very good about supporting early adopters

I would expect that a few things might drive future price increases and or upgrade charging
- bundling of new 3rd party material
..... - customer gets more value but COGS is higher as well
- bifurcation into options for the lower price-point products (ie: optional components / bundles)
..... - less sw (and smaller bundle) to keep the lower price points in place
- funding the next great thing
..... - at some point the current platform will be "finished". It is reasonable to find a way to
..... fund the next great thing
- an eigenAPP store would be one way to make the product of opensourcing available

It does not strike me that when you buy makes any great difference in the value you get for what you pay. I think eigenlabs has done a good job of removing early-adoption as a barrier to entry but that at some point they will need to shift to a steady-state model of operation. Indeed, I *want* that to happen so we have a steady flow of innovation available at reasonable price.

cheers, m

Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:43:48 +0100 BST

Oh, BTW, as bar|none said, welcome, fellow travellers are always welcome!

Cost speculation aside, this is a great time to be involved and I really appreciate eigenlabs allowing (seeking) that involvement (at great effort and occasional aggravation I'm sure).

m

Please log in to join the discussions