Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Native Alpha 'practice' sound without computer

Most Recent

written by: Tenebrous

Oh, sorry, I forgot the one other thing I wanted to say here, which kind of ties in to what Mike said above.

Personally, the thing I'm needing to practice is not actually fiddling around making noises. It's finding my way around the "UI". Remembering where to go for the mixer settings, adjusting volumes, stuff like that.

This would be improved by better tutorials perhaps. I was envisaging something which started off very very simple, but took you step-by-step and ended up with you able to play a specific song.

At the moment, the tutorials are very open-ended with no specific goal other than "now you know what that button does".

written by: geert

Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:14:09 +0100 BST

Hi,

I know that this is probably a pipe-dream, but you never know, I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

When I study an instrument, I work in different modes. Besides the obvious playing, performing, composing, searching sounds, ... I also function in a technique practicing mode. When doing this, I don't care about beautiful sound at all, I just practice dexterity, finger patterns, scales, etc etc. With the electric guitar I did this unamplified, just sitting in the couch, watching TV. The sound of the strings is sufficient to allow me to evaluate if what I'm playing is correct.

I miss this with the Alpha. I like to practice technique frequently for short periods of time, whenever I get the chance (a few times a day ideally). I really don't want to hook the Alpha up to a computer, wait for everything to load, check for the right sounds, etc.

Since the Alpha has a headphone socket, I'm wondering if there's any possibility at all to have a default startup mode in which it starts up when it's connected to the base station without EigenD running. This mode would have a basic synth sound and allow the selection of scales and tonics, that's it. No splits, no drummer, no recording, no sequencer, nothing else.

This would allow people that study the instrument to quickly hook it up, pop in earplugs and practice technique.

Thoughts?

Geert

written by: john

Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:46:49 +0100 BST

Hi Geert

We've looked at this a number of times, but it basically means adding a whole computer to the base station. This is possible but expensive and would replicate what you have already spent money on with your existing computer. It would also not be easy to support Au's or VST's without a screen (and a license for an OS like Windows, which adds expense). The built in computer would rapidly become obsolete and its quite possible that some of the really nifty features that EigenD may have in the future wouldn't run on it, rather defeating the point of the thing in the first place. Imagine being stuck with 1995 hardware inside it - I doubt the current EigenD could even start, or any of the AU's we use today, in that kind of configuration. And 15 years is not that long to be playing the same instrument.

We really did examine this at length long before we launched the Eigenharps. It's very attractive to have a set of built in sounds, but the combination of built in obsolescence, difficulty in choosing sounds that appeal to everyone, inflexibility in the future (just think, all those features connected with scales, courses, recorders that everyone is talking about would probably never make it into older firmware) and the added expense on what was already a top end instrument lead us to consider it a bad route to take.

If you want the effect of having a built in PC, we did actually design the Basestation Pro to be exactly the right size to Velcro (or gaffa tape if you're feeling suitably bodgy) a headless Mac Mini to the top. This will be available to play in a second or two if it sleeps, and you'd be achieving pretty much exactly what we'd be doing putting a PC in the box, except that you can replace it in a few years when it seems underpowered...

John

written by: geert

Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:53:57 +0100 BST

Hi John,

As said in my initial post, I'm really not interested in the full capabilities of a computer with AUs or VSTs, nor the full capabilities of EigenD. I'm really thinking of what the Continuum is doing in their latest revision. It's got a built-in DSP chip that is dedicated to make a number specific sounds that cover much of the expressiveness of the instrument. This allows you to quickly just start it up, plug a headphone in and practice technique. Of course, a lot of the possibilities that are only available when connecting to a Kyma or through MIDI aren't available in this mode. Is does allow you to very quickly practice technique though.

Anyway, I fully understand your reasoning for not integrating a full-blown EigenD into the basestation, that totally makes sense. I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini indeed for this purpose.

Take care,

Geert

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:07:18 +0100 BST

Geert, I'm completely with you on this thought. (of course, I also play guitar unplugged as well so.... perhaps we are just a flock of two)

I've thought long and hard about a mini but they are rather limited compared to where we seemed to be headed with this platform. Perhaps I'll buy the next mini, but I'd hate to see it not be quite up to the job.

In the instance of this discussion, though, the 'job' is so trivial that it would be overkill. Perhaps, when it is open sourced, some nice person will write us 'eigenPractice'

Now that I say that, there may well be an opportunity for eigenLearning that includes things like lighting up useful shapes in typical eigenD keygroup setups (like your pico tutorial)

m

written by: john

Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:37:42 +0100 BST

Half the problem here lies in what you mean by practice. On things like the Continuum this doesn't really involve much in the way of odd (sometimes bespoke) key layouts, dynamic switching between them, learning to use recordings etc etc. Part of the whole objective of mastering an Eigenharp setup is getting fluid with these highly dynamic setups, which means a general purpose CPU has to be running a subset of EigenD (which does most of these things), and the data rates are high so the CPU needs to be fairly capable. As soon as this is the case, you're really looking at a PC. If we build one in, the one thing I can be pretty sure about is that it'll be way more expensive than the equivalent Dell box as these are made in vast quantities. It will also take just as long to boot up at that box, which does kind of erode most of the advantage of embedded hardware.

Even if we stripped out most of the standard factory setup to make a 'practice setup' you are still left with a very great deal of code running - a lot more than will go on a stadard DSP chip and considerable more than will fit in most smallish FPGA cores. Open sourcing the code isn't really going to help you much with this - you'll still need a CPU whatever you do.

It's not inconceivable that we'll be able (and want) to do this in the future, but I think the time will be several years from now, when the there are standard setups that many use and the risk of fosilising the wrong thing in firmware is low. There have been so many changes (and many still to come) to EigenD in the last six months, all driven from experience gained by us all as we're all learning to play the instruments - this rate of change would have been utterly inconceivable if any kind of firmware had been involved - changes to firmware are over ten times as expensive (actually, when I think about it I think that is probably a low estimate of the multiple) and time consuming as software. Mike's comment about making learning facilities available is a great example of this. With EigenD running on a computer this is a lot easier, faster and cheaper to contemplate playing with (and we have been thinking a lot along those lines as we see a large potential for the Pico's in the education sector), if it were in firmware it would be out of the question in sensible timescales.

This isn't a religious issue for us, it's just about time, flexibility and cost. I'd love to be able to have a basic EigenD running in the hardware (like both of you, my main instrument is acoustic guitar so I know where you're coming from), it just don't make much sense right now.

John

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:17:43 +0100 BST

John

*yes* (to your comments above)
... and ...

I was not talking so much about moving stuff into the base station as having something quite focussed and non-demanding for a host to run. Essentially drivers (which might be more for a pico, but I think you probably want them compartmentalized anyway for IP reasons - so splitting them out might be worth the effort) and one or more useful applets (which might well *also* run in eigenD but could be loaded quickly as a 'trivial' setup (perhaps this is naive) )

Some useful applets might be:
- getting used to the keys (lots of newcomers whack away too hard and bend all over until they get a lighter touch going). A bit of visual and audio feedback might help
- finding notes in chromatic or scaled kegroups
- forming chords in chromatic or scaled keygroups
- exploring expressivity (a little 'video game' to coordinate breath / velo / AT / pitch / yaw / strips / etc)
- controlling the factory setups

Now, these are not going to float to the top of *your* list of todos but they might be something a 3rd party could do to get a few thanks-ware contributions.

They might also reduce your newbie-support-burden (particularly with the seemingly countless number of pico-adopters)

Anyway, there is likely a larger list of things we all do when first addressing the instrument that could be beneficially codified. *particularly* for the pico in education.

Cheers, m

I probably just have too much time on my hands waiting for DHL (smile)

Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:49:29 +0100 BST

I totally understand that the firmware aspect is not a route anyone really wants to probably go down with this practicing aspect.

Here's something to think about (or to ignore completely, of course). I'm not asking for this to be even put on the wish-list - I'm just wondering 'what if'.

I have a little device here called an o2 Joggler. I picked it up for £50. It has a 1.3ghz processor in it, USB socket, speakers, wifi device, etc. It boots from it's internal memory by default (has some kind of modified Linux OS on it with a Flash front-end), or, and here's the thing I'm trying to highlight, it boots from a USB stick. I want to update an application, I put the USB stick in my PC, copy the relevant files over, stick it back in the Joggler.

The only bad point about it (with regards to EigenD, or even a stripped-down EigenD) is that it's a Linux device (or rather, at the moment, people have only gotten Linux working on it nicely).

So, in the future (years, perhaps), I can imagine a little £50 box with a stripped down-EigenD running from a USB stick, plug in your USB cable and there you go, simple synths and nothing particularly CPU-taxing. Want to update EigenD? Put the stick in your PC/Mac and update it, no problems.

Thanks for reading through these thoughts from a crazy person ;)

Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:53:24 +0100 BST

Oh, sorry, I forgot the one other thing I wanted to say here, which kind of ties in to what Mike said above.

Personally, the thing I'm needing to practice is not actually fiddling around making noises. It's finding my way around the "UI". Remembering where to go for the mixer settings, adjusting volumes, stuff like that.

This would be improved by better tutorials perhaps. I was envisaging something which started off very very simple, but took you step-by-step and ended up with you able to play a specific song.

At the moment, the tutorials are very open-ended with no specific goal other than "now you know what that button does".

Please log in to join the discussions