Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Alpha - Main mode key & 'Advanced' controls

Most Recent

written by: Tenebrous

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply :) To be honest I was only really trying to eliminate a single additional key press (so not a major problem anyway), and I'm looking forwards to Stage, and the Workbench of course :)

Tene

Wed, 26 May 2010 22:38:21 +0100 BST

Hey guys,

Is there any reason why the Advanced controls are only available under Split 1?

I think it would be much easier for the player if they were available when the Main Mode key was held. The area of the keyboard used by the Advanced controls is currently unused when the Main Mode key is held.

If you're in Split 5, for example, the current process to get to advanced drummer controls is:
1. While holding main mode key with right hand, press Split 1 key with right hand
2. While holding keygroup mode key with right hand, press Advanced Drummer controls key with left hand
3. Make changes
4. While holding main mode key with right hand, press Split 5 key with right hand to get back to Split 5.

When it could be:
1. While holding main mode key with right hand, press Advanced Drummer controls key with left hand
2. Make changes
3. While holding main mode key with right hand, press Split 5 key with right hand to get back to Split 5.

Just a suggestion!

written by: barnone

Thu, 27 May 2010 16:47:55 +0100 BST

Hmm, yeah I kind of agree with you there. Why would you have to keep going back to split 1?

There are a lot of places with the Alpha where you have to do these crazy moves like selecting 4 buttons at once. Some buttons should simply toggle rather than turn off when you click another button.

For example, when I select 1 or more instruments they should stay toggled even if I select some option on advanced controls or change a scale or whatever, now everything toggles off unless you do these crazy multi selections.

And the multi selections many times require 2 hands.

written by: john

Thu, 27 May 2010 18:37:21 +0100 BST

Hi

The way the keyboard splits work (which is a signal routing model) makes this behaviour difficult to implement as the mode key puts the keygroup into 'choose output routing' mode when pressed. We've been thinking about having a simple routing memory built into Keygroups, so that returning to the previous selection is easy, which will make this easier to use.

The big thing coming later this year though is 'Stage', which will make quite a bit of this discussion redundant as it allows the organisation of many of these controls in different ways. We don't really want to spend much time changing the way Keygroup routing works until this is out as we think it may affect quite a few playing behaviours and patterns with the Eigenharps and we want to see what these are before we change things as fundamental as Keygroups. We will be changing all the Factory Setups around a lot when Stage comes out.

John

Fri, 28 May 2010 12:19:37 +0100 BST

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply :) To be honest I was only really trying to eliminate a single additional key press (so not a major problem anyway), and I'm looking forwards to Stage, and the Workbench of course :)

Tene

Please log in to join the discussions