Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Comp For Windows Users

Most Recent

written by: MarkM

Which should be a comp Classic british thinking. Buy a pico win an alpha, but no ones played a tau yet so why not peeps? Not that i'd win but it'd be exciting to try

But I can wait. All in all bringing up a competition idea for people who do have to wait, is all it is. No ones exactly rebeling. I'd probably need a mac for that too..kidding :)

Fri, 21 May 2010 19:03:56 +0100 BST

Hi Guys,

I bought a pico! But I can't play it :( Windows. I was thinking, will there be a competition for the windows users who couldnt enter?

Not that i'd win or anything but I wouldn't mind a tau. If there is something planned and if I won (no pressure), I promise not to get too big headed hehe

Cheers

written by: Tenebrous

Fri, 21 May 2010 20:24:47 +0100 BST

I love the idea of a Windows users competition! But... how would you ever prove you were *only* using Windows? i.e, how, to make it fair, would you prevent the Mac users from entering? Especially since the competition entry would effectively be just a YouTube video :) It was easier when it was Mac only because you didn't need to prove you were using a Mac... because you could *only* use a Mac :)

Sat, 22 May 2010 12:05:15 +0100 BST

You could argue, is it fair people couldn't enter simply because the marketing generated by the comp didn't reach them soon enough or indeed what if you have windows? And that is what it is.

I hope they would consider it, not that i'd win :( but again, it's not really 'fair' . Marketing/advertising etc but shouldn't everyone get a chance? I'd just not let 'old participants' in and then you might get someone using a mac - but it's really about what you create at the end of the day :)

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 22 May 2010 13:50:17 +0100 BST

Actually, there are all sorts of reasons a person may not have entered the 1st competition. Personally, I don't think that intentionally limiting entries in competitions to some subset of the user base is a good idea. Indeed, why exclude owners of different EH models?

Obviously, a contest has some communications goal centered on getting content out there that makes some useful point. The last contest seemed to be all about the breadth of things one could do. I suspect it sold a lot of picos to new owners and know (hehehe) it sold Alphas to pico owners.

The idea of a periodic (annual?) contest with open entry (perhaps with categories, such as best pico/tau/alpha entry) but specific goals is a good one (IMHO) and could be used to draw new segments to the instrument.

Personally I'd like to see what people could do with:
- best country / roots / celtic / broadway / folk / etc
- best cello / wind / quartet / etc
- best traditional / electronic (ie a piece that transitions back and forth from traditional acoustic sounds to out there stuff in a musical way)

Well, there are lots of these possibilities. It strikes me that those that one might not expect are exactly those that might attract whole communities to the instrument that would otherwise not see it as relevant to them.

As an aside, Virtuosos will emerge and have a place in such contests. It would be nice to stratify the contest to also include a broader spectrum. It strikes me that one of the great values of the EH line is that proficiency can be gained quickly but the potential for personal growth is never exhausted. This is a powerful marketing message to potential new adopters.

Sat, 22 May 2010 18:39:36 +0100 BST

I totally agree with you both, excluding any set of users is a bad idea.

I slightly regret my original response above because it didn't really come out the way I'd intended. When the competition was run, I was a little annoyed that for very obvious reasons it was 'Mac only' - I'm a Windows user. I had to borrow a Mac etc. But when it really came down to it, I didn't make the effort to record my videos, so I've only myself to blame for that. So my apologies if my response sounded a little off.

ANYWAY!

I think a regular competition or suchlike is a great idea. EVEN if it's something organised by us in the community, rather than an Eigenlabs-sponsored thing. Competitions encourage creativity and that's never a bad thing :)

Sat, 22 May 2010 19:19:36 +0100 BST

Oh, Tene - you should not regret it at all. As usual, it lead to an interesting exchange.

If you are ever this way I'll buy you a beer (or whatever) as reward for starting so many!!

cheers, m

Mon, 24 May 2010 10:38:29 +0100 BST

Hi guys,

I'm sticking to my guns hehe. It's been its box practically a week. Sobbing quietly. It sleeps more then the cat. No but I think competitions are healthy as a comminunity - more so when the other instruments are so expensive. It means people have to try their best and work out ways to highlight the possibilities of an instrument - thus helping to sell it to people who turn round and go, 'ohh, I didn't know that was possible'.

At the end of the day the participants before deserve a beer because God knows how many they helped to sell because of their talent, desire and willingness to post themselves on youtube in a way, selling their souls jk

Anyway I just cant wait to get started! :)

Mon, 24 May 2010 17:53:25 +0100 BST

Mark said:

Anyway I just cant wait to get started! :)

http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/

.... and you are left with a server!

m

written by: geert

Mon, 24 May 2010 17:56:26 +0100 BST

How about having a competition for Alpha users to win ... a Pico :-)

This would maybe bootstrap the lack of Alpha videos on YouTube?

Mon, 24 May 2010 21:10:40 +0100 BST

hmmmm.... seriously, what would alpha players want? Perhaps an investment in a music publishing site for the winner (hehehe)? Perhaps an interesting gig of some sort?

Mon, 24 May 2010 21:48:19 +0100 BST

Hehe... I'm not the gigging type ;) - How about something like $200 of Google Adwords or something hehe.

Or maybe something that goes nicely with the Alpha, like one of the mics or pedals that Eigenlabs recommend?

Wed, 26 May 2010 09:32:06 +0100 BST

Actually thinking about this, I like how the runners-ups to the Alpha competition got Arturia's Software Synth Collection... I think something along the same lines would make a great prize for future competitions.

Thu, 27 May 2010 21:55:48 +0100 BST

Which should be a comp Classic british thinking. Buy a pico win an alpha, but no ones played a tau yet so why not peeps? Not that i'd win but it'd be exciting to try

But I can wait. All in all bringing up a competition idea for people who do have to wait, is all it is. No ones exactly rebeling. I'd probably need a mac for that too..kidding :)

Please log in to join the discussions