Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Question about Courses

Most Recent

written by: Tenebrous

@Pat - there's a whole bunch of stuff in the Wiki, have you had a look? It's really really in-depth and I've been working through it trying to get it all in my head - reading a little bit at at time helps ;)

Thu, 20 May 2010 21:56:19 +0100 BST

Could I just confirm my understanding of the Course Offsets part of the Courses article.

If I'm using the major scale: CDEFGAB

Then the first course would be CDEFGAB, obviously.

If I set the second course to have an offset of one scale step, then the second course would be DEFGABC. That's perfectly clear - we just move up the scale.

If I set the second course to have an offset of one semitone, would it then be: C# D# F F# G# A# C ?

written by: 0beron

Fri, 21 May 2010 09:20:04 +0100 BST

I think the offsets stack up between the courses, so the offset is relative to the previous course. In your example then, the third course would be D# F F# G# A# C C# ?

Fri, 21 May 2010 09:51:53 +0100 BST

Actually, while I think you are correct in the stacking, the third course would be: D E F# G A B C#

So to recap:
1 - C D E F G A B
2 - C# D# F F# G# A# C
3 - D E F# G A B C#

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 21 May 2010 11:54:08 +0100 BST

Silly thought (totally un-thought-through)

So, is the offset in semitones / tones -or- scale steps? (I think the steps are fixed)

Would it be musically interesting (and playable) to have the offsets follow one of the scales rather than being fixed?

Of course, one could set it to follow a 'scale' like 0 5 10 15 20 and have fixed offsets but one could also be much 'sillier' selecting, say, a pentatonic scale

Fri, 21 May 2010 11:51:45 +0100 BST

@mike - it's in either semitones or scale steps, based on which belcanto command you use to set it.

For semitones:
course X offset to 4 semitone set
for scale steps:
course X offset to 4 interval set

See the wiki article for more info.

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 21 May 2010 11:57:40 +0100 BST

Neat... I gotta try that. I assume that it uses the same scale as assigned to the keyboard which would make perfect sense but I wonder if it is the only interesting choice?

written by: 0beron

Sat, 22 May 2010 12:20:38 +0100 BST

Tenebrous said:
Actually, while I think you are correct in the stacking, the third course would be: D E F# G A B C#

So to recap:
1 - C D E F G A B
2 - C# D# F F# G# A# C
3 - D E F# G A B C#

Ah - I misread your first post, I thought you were setting a 1 scale step offset between course 1 and 2, and then a semitone offset between 2 and 3, which would be weird but presumably possible.

Sat, 22 May 2010 18:44:10 +0100 BST

@0beron - no problem :) And yes, I think it could be done even though it isn't what I meant.

I'm really interested in seeing how the semitone-offset courses work out with scales that aren't the chromatic one. The second course would have notes not found on the first course at all.

written by: prstorms

Mon, 24 May 2010 19:54:16 +0100 BST

YIKES... my head just exploded! I admire your collective abilities to pop open the hood via Belcanto and just get cracking, but that's WAY beyond my embryonic skills!

I love the idea of setting the offset between courses, but I'll need a much simpler "Idiot's Guide" to pull it off. HELP Mr Wizard!

Pat

Mon, 24 May 2010 21:53:18 +0100 BST

@Pat - there's a whole bunch of stuff in the Wiki, have you had a look? It's really really in-depth and I've been working through it trying to get it all in my head - reading a little bit at at time helps ;)

Please log in to join the discussions