Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Roger Linn's Multi-touch instrument

Most Recent

written by: geert

I thought it wasn't that interesting. I have used a lot of multi-touch technology over the years (I even have one of the original Fingerworks keyboards) and one thing I realized is that the physical division of keys, strings ... is very important to make an instrument intuitive. I've tried playing music on the iPad (yes it lacks the pressure control) and I have a Haken Continuum ... they both require very careful playing and chords are almost a nightmare to get right. I've actually mostly reduced my Continuum playing to one handed leads and maximum 2 or 3 simultaneous notes. Imho, the Eigenharp has got it right, it just needs to mature.

written by: catoro

Sun, 16 May 2010 22:48:22 +0100 BST

Well, this is not strictly speaking a post about the eigenharp, but I was doing some sunday night surfing and this came up... apparently Roger Linn's idea has been around for some time. I don't know if the concept draw reminds you the Pico...

Link to the create digital music page

I believe that since Amazon bought TouchCo, this will be delayed...

Cheers.

Carlos

written by: barnone

Mon, 17 May 2010 06:27:02 +0100 BST

Yeah, this was an interesting article. What's even more interesting is the community response. People are genuinely interested in getting past the keyboard. Linn mentioned the eigenharp directly and obviously has even given nods to the concept himself with the layout of 4ths, plus the conceptual instrument shown.

written by: geert

Mon, 17 May 2010 06:57:18 +0100 BST

I thought it wasn't that interesting. I have used a lot of multi-touch technology over the years (I even have one of the original Fingerworks keyboards) and one thing I realized is that the physical division of keys, strings ... is very important to make an instrument intuitive. I've tried playing music on the iPad (yes it lacks the pressure control) and I have a Haken Continuum ... they both require very careful playing and chords are almost a nightmare to get right. I've actually mostly reduced my Continuum playing to one handed leads and maximum 2 or 3 simultaneous notes. Imho, the Eigenharp has got it right, it just needs to mature.

Please log in to join the discussions