Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Linking to external sites

Most Recent

written by: patrick

Hello
I have updated the site - you can now add links to external sites on the Wiki. Have fun!
Patrick

written by: Tenebrous

Tue, 11 May 2010 21:23:23 +0100 BST

Hiya,

I was wondering about links to external sites. I know they're prohibited in the Wiki, but I think it may be useful in certain cases. For example, I noticed that Sam had updated the "Do you have any other models of the Viol family as instruments" article in the Wiki, so I went to look up more info on impulse responses etc, and found a Wikipedia article, plus a nice library (the open impulse response library). I feel these would be useful to people.

Any suggestions on how to point people to these resources? I was thinking maybe just say "Try searching on Google for xxxx..." but that seems a bit long-winded.

And also: I think we may need a meta forum category, where people can post suggestions like this regarding the forum itself, the wiki or the website.

Thanks!
Tene

written by: mikemilton

Tue, 11 May 2010 22:57:58 +0100 BST

Geert's site, I think, has a spot for sharing stuff like this and might be more appropriate?

Thoughts Geert??

m

Tue, 11 May 2010 23:11:44 +0100 BST

It does indeed, but I was thinking of ways to reduce the digging around one has to do. e.g. with my example above, you could get straight from the official "can you model other types of viol instruments" FAQ entry straight to a public library of impulse responses.

written by: geert

Wed, 12 May 2010 08:47:53 +0100 BST

It depends on what Eigenlabs has planned for the wiki here. I still have a feeling that it's more for 'official' information than for community resources, even though we can all edit. I personally think there's a lot of value to build out a collection of Eigenharp-related information and files in a wiki that's totally independent. So yeah, I'd post it on EigenZone's wiki.

Wed, 12 May 2010 10:14:50 +0100 BST

Yes you're right, it does depend on how Eigenlabs want this to be used.

I was thinking though, if I were a new player, this is where I would come first. And I probably wouldn't want to spend too long diving around following links to get the info I wanted. Especially if it's really generic stuff like "There's a really useful free repository of impulse reponses you could use".

Let's wait for an official view on this, I think.

written by: john

Wed, 12 May 2010 12:09:01 +0100 BST

Thanks for your input chaps -

Patrick is removing the 'external URL' filter today, so you'll be able to post links to other sites. Not quite sure why we added that (I have a vague feeling I asked for it but for the life of me I'm not sure why now, probably some misguided control freakery came over me) but it'll be gone shortly.

To answer Geerts post, the Wiki here is supposed to answer two needs - a repository for all future Eigenlabs documentation and as a community resource to share all sorts of things - setups, soundfonts, howto's etc. The reason that it looks like it only serves the first function right now is that Sam, Dave and I have been putting a lot of information in the documentation section. I'll make some new categories for your input today (ones that look a bit more inviting to contributors), if I get a moment. Patrick has some nice additional features in mind (like video upload with CDN hosting for example) that will start to make the Wiki a great place for this.

We're about to rename the Support section 'Community & Support' to reflect this changing focus, and we'll be introducing the idea of moderators for certain (by no means all) Forum threads and sections of the Wiki (and looking for volunteers for this thankless task). We don't need them right now, but I can feel that the need may arise soon - particularly in the more authoritative sections of both.

John

Wed, 12 May 2010 13:37:51 +0100 BST

*raises hand* I'm more than happy to help out with the Wiki - I can be quite a spelling/grammar/consistency pedant sometimes ;)

written by: patrick

Wed, 12 May 2010 14:07:05 +0100 BST

Hello
I have updated the site - you can now add links to external sites on the Wiki. Have fun!
Patrick

Please log in to join the discussions