Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: saving setting

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

Ok - thanks to Geert, I loaded it and it no longer crashes on loading updates. See my other post on 17

written by: biggy-g

Mon, 10 May 2010 01:18:00 +0100 BST

thanks for the help before, the garageband tutorial had the answers. now I would like to know if I can save the settings with the midi setup or do you have to always go thru all the steps to set the midi up every time. could I just save it as a user? I did tried that but it didn't seem to work. also I played my pico in record and the pitch bend and mod wheel go crazy can i stop that? I know it's because the keys on the pico are so sensitive

written by: geert

Mon, 10 May 2010 07:46:58 +0100 BST

Hi, you can't save what you setup in Garageband inside EigenD, but you surely can save it in a Garageband document. You just will have to open it separately. To stop the pitchbend, try running the EigenD script at the bottom here: http://wiki.eigenzone.org/wiki/Scripts

HTH,

Geert

written by: biggy-g

Sat, 15 May 2010 01:38:02 +0100 BST

thanks for the help but I ment in eigen D. I don't use garageband. what I ment was after setting up the midi like the guy shows in the garageband tutorial could I save the midi settings in Eigen D and not have to go thru all that jazz to run the midi

written by: fzzzy

Sat, 15 May 2010 03:01:42 +0100 BST

You just save your setup as a User Setup, but here's the catch: After you have saved your setup, the next time you relaunch EigenD you have to explicitly load the setup you just saved. Every time you relaunch EigenD after that it will load your user setup automatically.

This probably should be reported as a bug: When you save a user setup, EigenD should configure itself to use that setup the next time EigenD is launched.

written by: Tenebrous

Sat, 15 May 2010 09:16:14 +0100 BST

The way I thought it worked was: You have a 'current setup', i.e. the one your playing with live. You can save that to a user setup, or you can load it from a user setup. When you exit EigenD, your 'current setup' is saved. When you start EigenD back up, it is restored.

So effectively, if you save your 'current setup' to user 1, then exit EigenD, then start EigenD again, it will restore your 'current setup'... which just so happens to match what you saved to user 1.

This way, you can load a setup, and if you mess it up you don't overwrite it unless you specifically save it again. So you could just load it again to revert to your saved version.

Sat, 15 May 2010 10:55:50 +0100 BST

Actually, I wish this was either a preference allowing one to specify what to load on startup or, better still, a startup dialog similar to the one in pages or keynote giving one the choice to load templates (ie: factory setups) or recent files (ie: user setups.)

Recasting the factory setups as 'templates' would also underline that that is what they really *are* and might be useful when the workbench arrives. I would guess (?) that the output of the workbench would best be understood as a template (setup) which could itself be tweaked and saved as a user file (which might better be thought of and termed a 'performance') /end ontological rant.

m

written by: john

Sun, 16 May 2010 14:01:15 +0100 BST

EigenD should always load the last setup that you were running, if it doesn't then that is a bug. Fzzzy, what version of EigenD are you running there? There have been a lot of changes to the load and save dialogues in the newer Unstable (now Testing) branch of EigenD. If you're running Testing then that's a bug we need to fix, and it woud be great to know.

Mike, I think that's a very sensible point about being able to specify which setup to load on start. We did have an automatic 'Setup Choose' dialogue pop up on every startup for a little while, but it was very annoying as a default action, so we took it out as we couldn't think of a nice way to make it work without bringing some level of inconvenience to normal startup (which can be headless remember, ie no screen, so automatically requiring user interaction on startup is now a big nono for us). We could probably add a little 'load this setup on startup' checkbox on the save setups dialogue, or some such but it did seem easier and more intuitive to always load the last loaded setup.

This is all made rather more awkward because the process of moving between setups while running currently has a nasty bug (which is in our sights) which causes big changes (as in between Pico and Alpha setups for example) to disappear off into the wilderness and never return. This will get fixed, as will adding some Pico + Alpha setups for those of you who have both (an increasing number interestingly) at some point soon.

John

Sun, 16 May 2010 14:03:48 +0100 BST

Further to my last point, we could add an option, 'Always ask me what Setup to run on startup' I guess, if enough people think this would be useful. It wouldn't be useful for those using EigenD headless, but for those who work mostly in the studio it could be handy.

Comments?

John

Sun, 16 May 2010 14:18:17 +0100 BST

John, I think that anything that gives us a choice can only be a positive change, so I vote for the adding of the option :)

Tene

Sun, 16 May 2010 16:12:33 +0100 BST

I think the 'always ask' option would be good. I can see using it when getting used to the instrument and when preparing for a performance and being avoided at other times.

My opinion might be clouded by the bug you mention.

Yeah! for the multi instrument option and, what do you expect when you seed a bunch of picos in the wild you get a crop of alpha-hungry shoots popping up. That wasn't intentional, was it?

m

Sun, 16 May 2010 17:39:10 +0100 BST

+1 here, I almost always have to load the setup I saved before the next time I run EigenD

Imho it should actually default to loading the last saved setup and adding the 'always ask at startup' option should allow people that work differently to be satisfied also.

Sun, 16 May 2010 17:39:50 +0100 BST

... actually, maybe you should introduce a global EigenD preferences window where people can simply select which behavior they want by default.

Sun, 16 May 2010 18:07:29 +0100 BST

Exactly, Geert, last saved, last loaded, or ask would be a great preference choice. A similar discussion about what window(s) to open could be had.

I think that the existence of a screen (or not) is available from the OS so one could also consider allowing a secondary choice of last saved / loaded if no screen is detected (for those of us likely to forget to change the preference before heading out screenless with a preference set to ask)

written by: fzzzy

Wed, 19 May 2010 11:56:33 +0100 BST

John: I am running testing, 1.1.5.

It seems to load the last setup that was loaded. What this means is if you install EigenD, customize the factory setup, save it, and quit, the factory setup will be loaded. You have to load your user setup, after that your user setup will be loaded every time.

If this is a bug, great, I will be very happy to see it fixed. I thought it was a "feature" :-)

Wed, 19 May 2010 12:33:30 +0100 BST

EigenD is supposed to load the last Setup that you were running, not the last one you loaded, so saving a new setup ought to change the startup as well. I'll log this as a bug and we'll fix it, thanks for finding it. Regarding the other suggestions here, we're going to improve the options for startup sometime soon, probably as part of the next 'Unstable' series.

John

written by: 0beron

Wed, 19 May 2010 12:35:14 +0100 BST

If you want to run in headless mode, maybe something with a timeout, a bit like a boot manager would be a good idea? I give you 10 or 15 seconds to select a setup to load, otherwise load the last used setup or a default.

Wed, 19 May 2010 12:40:19 +0100 BST

I think we're going to make this a user preference - it seems simpler to be able to select whether you want the choice or not. Mind you, a timeout would be a good idea anyway, for the occasion that one forgets to turn the selection off, goes to a gig without a screen and discovers that EigenD never starts...

John

Wed, 19 May 2010 13:52:29 +0100 BST

A side request (I seem to be good at going off on a tangent here) would be to have the loading progress shown on the instrument via the lights. Would be great to also show the 'timeout' on there via the lights too.

This would be especially useful if you're running headless and changing setups via the MIDI triggers.

Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:38:04 +0100 BST

"We have made a change to the auto loading behaviour upon EigenD startup.
In the past, the setup which automatically loaded on EigenD startup would always be the setup that you previously loaded.
The new behaviour means that when you save a user setup, it is selected as the setup which will automatically load when you next start EigenD."

hmmm... given that eigenD crashes when you try to change a setup, does this not imply that one can *only* load the most recently saved or build a new one from that starting point and then save it?

In other words, without fixing the crash problem, this would seem to make any older setups inaccessible since they cannot be loaded and one cannot restart and have them load. So the *only* setup that can be loaded is the last one saved and the only way to save a new one is to start with the loaded setup.

Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:08:06 +0100 BST

Ok - thanks to Geert, I loaded it and it no longer crashes on loading updates. See my other post on 17

Please log in to join the discussions