Forum

Software: 1.1.4 comments and request

Most Recent

written by: geert

+1 on the screen overlay window

written by: Tenebrous

Sat, 8 May 2010 10:17:18 +0100 BST

Hello :) Just spent a little while playing with 1.1.4 and so far so good :D

However, I have a request... anytime you open a browse window or suchlike using the buttons on the Pico (e.g Mixer Browse, or Audio Unit Browse), could you change it so the relevant window always appears in the foreground? I'm finding myself alternating between the pico & the mouse too often, purely to bring these windows to the foreground. If the windows were always brought to the front, that would eliminate a lot of mousing (for me anyway).

Thanks!
Tene

Sat, 8 May 2010 10:27:54 +0100 BST

I agree. I also think that the browser should automatically appear when someone executes an action that requires it. It's very frustrating to have to go to the computer just to launch the EigenBrowser.

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 8 May 2010 12:02:04 +0100 BST

I agree with the browser comments above and would also ask:

Is there a reason that the browser (or other tools) behave as a separate application? It is also jarring to have it left running by itself (with an icon in the dock that cannot be differentiated from eigenD easily). Going forward, it might be interesting to contemplate what is part of the program and what is simply complementary to it (and why).

On the icon: I wonder if, for the non-production versions, it could be badged? Also, while I love the aesthetic of it, in practical terms it can be hard to locate or select due to the extent of its transparency.

Sat, 8 May 2010 12:12:04 +0100 BST

On loading the last thing run. I notice that the software happily attempts to load the pico setup if that is the last thing I ran even if I'm starting the Alpha. It then (usually) stalls loading the alpha or dies some other miserable death. I wonder if this could be a preference in some future version. (load last setup / ask)

Unless I'm confused about what the workbench does (likely), this would be particularly helpful if one is authoring setups.

m

Sat, 8 May 2010 14:22:16 +0100 BST

'Having a nice relaxing sit down with the alpha in 1.1.4 on a rainy day.

The cello is having a bit of a problem. It stops playing every few notes. Selecting a different instrument and going back seems to reset it for another few notes. The number of notes is variable and reloading the SW sometimes 'fixes' the problem (in other words this only happens sometimes when I load eigenD and attach the Alpha, sometimes everything works fine)

This particular time the problem occurred when loading eigenD on a freshly booted machine and then attaching (powering up) the alpha. (so it is not an artifact of the issue above)

Anyone else had this?

m

written by: barnone

Sat, 8 May 2010 17:18:55 +0100 BST

+1 on the window focus issues. Interacting with the harp where I intentionally expect to interact with a screen UI, browse settings should launch eigenbrowser if not already running. If already running it should bring the window to the foreground. If we are usig the harp to interact with a UI which we are then it should have a similar effect to what a mouse would do as far as focusing.

Same with opening a plugin window, that window should be focused to foreground. Even the status windows for example when loading a preset, open in back of the main window which is just bizarre because usually in any UI framework, these types of windows are very easy to make modal. I understand that EigenBrowser is running in a different process than eigenD but since they do communicate with each other, it should be possible to also focus the window properly. Remember the window positions and size, etc...

These little things make a big difference.

One thought I had would be to create a screen overlay window that pops up when a setting is being changed and can be made very large. For example, when changing a volume setting with the harp, the value being changed would be displayed very large in floating system tray-type window. The kind that floats above everything else, is semi-transparent and maybe even dims the rest of the screen while the value changes.
This would be very helpful on stage or even studio, where you are not sitting right next to your laptop squinting at some value and definitely not trying to find and bring eigenbrowser to the foreground.

Sat, 8 May 2010 17:59:05 +0100 BST

For example, when changing a volume setting with the harp, the value being changed would be displayed very large in floating system tray-type window. The kind that floats above everything else, is semi-transparent and maybe even dims the rest of the screen while the value changes.

This is a *great* idea

written by: Tenebrous

Sat, 8 May 2010 18:42:39 +0100 BST

+1 for your own idea there, barnone! I think that's a superb idea. Exactly like if you hit the volume button on your TV remote - up comes a big bright OSD (on screen display), and vanishes a few seconds after you stop fiddling with it.

Sat, 8 May 2010 22:30:34 +0100 BST

+1 on the screen overlay window

Please log in to join the discussions